What's new

Bangladesh Bought ‘Obsolete’ Chinese Submarines: Russian expert

Lol it's not against anyone.

Our threat perception is low, so our forces are small accordingly.

Why make so much noise about 2 old submarines? It's ridiculous.

first you have to stand up to someone then comes threats

These are more than training subs..... I would rather have them than not.

They will keep BD waters safe. Submarines are entirely offensive assets and with their purchase BN has entered a new phase of development and BD has made a statement.

BN is developing very fast, the army is growing numerically and technically.

The next step is to develop the airforce.

Let the detractors bark.... it is a sign of strategic and commercial failure. No one comments on things if it did not matter.

When Pakistan became the first country in the region to deploy sub... it didn't have the latest and greatest. Rather an obsolete junk like us to begin with. Look where they are now. Buying French subs with aip... detecting and preventing entry of Indian subs...
Well we began... let us breathe and get stronger... appreciate our efforts

No, Ming 035 is not noisy at all. All diesel engines are noisy. But, a diesel-electricity combination is a super technology, no worse than a nuclear operated sub. When operated by battery 035 creates less noise than a swimming shark. Can you send us a reliable link to support your view?
BS, Type035G is an electric submarine with AIP system. If someone say extremely noisy. Most likely he know nothing about electric submarine and just bad mouth without any insight. Accident do happen due to inexperience or testing of new device. If by your theory, kilo shall be a crap since IN just blow up one few years ago?

This is the exactly the sub that surface few km away from a US carrier fleet few years ago.

Man,I don't even want to grace these BS with answer as it'll be total waste.

Only if someone would enlighten them what "Noisy" is actually mean... :rolleyes:

But still,I should try,right?

http://www.dosits.org/people/defense/findsubmarines/

When Pakistan became the first country in the region to deploy sub... it didn't have the latest and greatest. Rather an obsolete junk like us to begin with. Look where they are now. Buying French subs with aip... detecting and preventing entry of Indian subs...
Well we began... let us breathe and get stronger... appreciate our efforts

Of course man.

But you should try to understand,in 1960s they bought a sub tech that is around 15 years older and at that time it was prized possession as no one around South Asia had Sub.

Bangladesh is buying 2 subs that is built/heavily modified on 1950s tech(Romeo Class).Its not just about what you're buying,but whether it is relevant or not.Doesn't a better Submarine with will cost few dozens mil would serve better purpose??

China is selling 2 Ming for 193 mil while Bangladesh could avail Kilo Class with all the goodies at some $150 mil to $200.Though improved ones might cost more.But its sure better than Ming,right??

But yes,I do understand your point and as I've highlighted,for training purpose,its fine.But you're not buying a weapon just to train,right?And also,you'll have to use these atleast 40 years period.It'll be like using Mig-15 in the age of F-22.

Of course man.

But you should try to understand,in 1960s they bought a sub tech that is around 15 years older and at that time it was prized possession as no one around South Asia had Sub.

Bangladesh is buying 2 subs that is built/heavily modified on 1950s tech(Romeo Class).Its not just about what you're buying,but whether it is relevant or not.Doesn't a better Submarine with will cost few dozens mil would serve better purpose??

China is selling 2 Ming for 193 mil while Bangladesh could avail Kilo Class with all the goodies at some $150 mil to $200.Though improved ones might cost more.But its sure better than Ming,right??

But yes,I do understand your point and as I've highlighted,for training purpose,its fine.But you're not buying a weapon just to train,right?And also,you'll have to use these atleast 40 years period.It'll be like using Mig-15 in the age of F-22.

Nope they have a scheduled life of about 10-15 year max. These 2 subs cost less then $100m each (@ $15m - $20m annual operational costs) and should give us experience with sub operations (including base + logistics operations). As it will take the BN min of 5 years to gain operational experience, buying new subs would mean costs of $35m to $50m per year without much opp gain.

These subs will be replaced by 2 + 2 modern AIP subs from 2022-2030 as per the naval planning.

The policy is simple, buy 2 old subs (which don't pose too much of a strategic threat to our neighbors) and get them used to the idea of BN having these types. Then at a later date buy more potent weapons without too much notice.

Last edited:
Buying French subs with aip.

People should not be apologetic to others for purchasing old subs. I think, it is great to achieve this long cherished target fitted also with the AIP system.

"Air-independent propulsion (AIP) is any marine propulsion technology that allows a non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen (by surfacing or using a snorkel). AIP can augment or replace the diesel-electric propulsion system of non-nuclear vessels."

"AIP can be retrofitted into existing submarine hulls by inserting an additional hull section. AIP does not normally provide the endurance or power to replace atmospheric dependent propulsion, but allows longer submergence than a conventionally propelled submarine."

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/bangladesh-bought-‘obsolete’-chinese-submarines-russian-expert.465506/page-2#ixzz4SKvPbfis

Submarine operations take a long time to master and these subs, although old, will give BD Navy the required training and skills to go for new submarines later on.

Please do not sell your craps in this section. Indians should not get worried because their popular SHW has purchased the subs, and I believe there are no teeth in them that can frighten the Suppa Pawa India.

Only if someone would enlighten them what "Noisy" is actually mean... :rolleyes:

Of course man.

As if you know anything. Once again posing BS that still makes you know nothing of Type035G submarine. Judging from your BS, all your posting is other than stereotyping with no ground and zero knowledge on BD acquire submarine.
I bet Type035G can even sink your INS carrier without even IN knowing where it is from. :lol:

Please do not sell your craps in this section. Indians should not get worried because their popular SHW has purchased the subs, and I believe there are no teeth in them that can frighten the Suppa Pawa India.
Precisely, the type of self denial that they claim Rafale with no internal weapon bay which has far less RCS reduction that can beat 5th gen fighter.

Last edited:
BN is not an immature org. They know what they need. And what they have to do , in present and near future. This is first time they got subs. And in 2019 they are committed to buy more subs. 5G or 4G subs doesn't matter to buy for BN . At first this is training purpose and save our see from our foe s. the term of Out dated doesn't make any sense.

Of course man.

Well it still has potential... a Ming in recent years got within 5 miles of a US aircraft carrier while it was being protected with its battle group... Americans were surprised they didn't detect it...

It might be based on tech of the 50s but that 50s sub is much smaller in size and which itself was based on ww1 German subs...
So in theory it was obsolete when it was made in 50s?
Technically yes but a blunt knife is still a knife if can still make you bleed...
Technology progresses by basing on previous tech...
f22 just didn't come into being... it still has things that was used in older fighters.
But yes I get your point. 1 improved kilo class would have been better than buying two of em.
But most probably the Russians weren't willing to sell us anything at the time because India. And also because foreign weapon vendors aren't interested in Bangladesh because of how much they bargain/ how little they buy... so yeah

Nope they have a scheduled life of about 10-15 year max. These 2 subs cost less then $100m each (@ $15m - $20m annual operational costs) and should give us experience with sub operations (including base + logistics operations). As it will take the BN min of 5 years to gain operational experience, buying new subs would mean costs of $35m to $50m per year without much opp gain.

These subs will be replaced by 2 + 2 modern AIP subs from 2022-2030 as per the naval planning.

The policy is simple, buy 2 old subs (which don't pose too much of a strategic threat to our neighbors) and get them used to the idea of BN having these types. Then at a later date buy more potent weapons without too much notice.

$193 mil for having 2 subs only to have training experience and that too only for 15 years??

Holy molly...I underestimated the level of Ponzi scheme that happened there.

Instead of that,you could've went Vietnam way.They got 6 advanced Kilos along with everything at 1.8 bil.Keep everything at bay.Or you could've got some new advanced Swedish subs like Gotland or modified version of it at same price(100 mil).No other sub can come close to beat these.

I wonder what we're missing.

Well it still has potential... a Ming in recent years got within 5 miles of a US aircraft carrier while it was being protected with its battle group... Americans were surprised they didn't detect it...

It might be based on tech of the 50s but that 50s sub is much smaller in size and which itself was based on ww1 German subs...
So in theory it was obsolete when it was made in 50s?
Technically yes but a blunt knife is still a knife if can still make you bleed...
Technology progresses by basing on previous tech...
f22 just didn't come into being... it still has things that was used in older fighters.
But yes I get your point. 1 improved kilo class would have been better than buying two of em.
But most probably the Russians weren't willing to sell us anything at the time because India. And also because foreign weapon vendors aren't interested in Bangladesh because of how much they bargain/ how little they buy... so yeah

Wrong.That was a Song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_039_submarine

Song class is a Sub commissioned in 1998,nearly 30-40 years later of first Ming.

As if you know anything. Once again posing BS that still makes you know nothing of Type035G submarine. Judging from your BS, all your posting is other than stereotyping with no ground and zero knowledge on BD acquire submarine.
I bet Type035G can even sink your INS carrier without even IN knowing where it is from. :lol:

Kindly enlighten us about Ming sub with some insider info that we don't know.

Bangladeshis themselves are saying these subs are only will have15 years of lifetime.Brand new Gotlands would serve them better.

And please,kindly don't drool over your 1960s sub.There is a lot of stuff you can drool over,Ming isn't one of them.

Instead of that,you could've went Vietnam way.They got 6 advanced Kilos along with everything at 1.8 bil.Keep everything at bay.Or you could've got some new advanced Swedish subs like Gotland or modified version of it at same price(100 mil).No other sub can come close to beat these.
:crazy::crazy::crazy:
1. even according to you Vietnam spent $300million for each sub.
2. Swedish sub for $100 million ? ! ! ! demagh thik hey tera ? :close_tema:

Back
Top Bottom