What's new

Ballistic missile “Dhanush” test fired

Vasily Zaytsev

Reaction score
The Hindu : News / National : Ballistic missile “Dhanush” test-fired

Ballistic missile “Dhanush” test fired

India on Friday test fired its nuclear-capable ballistic missile ‘Dhanush’, with a range of 350 km, from a naval ship off the Orissa coast, defence sources said.

The missile was fired by Indian Navy personnel as part of user training exercise.

“The single-stage ship-based missile was flight-tested at around 1005 hours and the trial was conducted from a naval ship off Orissa coast in the sea at a spot between Paradip and Puri,” the sources said.

“Dhanush” has a pay-load capacity of 500 kg and is capable of carrying both conventional and nuclear warheads. It can hit both sea and shore-based targets.

The missile, which has liquid propellant, is the naval version of India’s indigenously developed surface-to-surface “Prithvi” missile system, the sources said.

“Dhanush, developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), was put to trial jointly by a team of scientists and officers from the Navy,” they said.

“Today’s test launch has been tracked from its take-off to impact point through an integrated network of sophisticated radars and electro-optic instruments for post-mission data analyses,” the sources said.

Though the missile had failed in its first test at the development stage on April 11, 2000 due to certain technical problems in the take-off stage, subsequent trials were successful.

“Dhanush” was successfully flight tested last on March 27, 2010 from INS Subhadra in the Bay of Bengal off Orissa coast.

The Dhanush programme is going to end up being a very expensive technology demonstrator. The liquid fuel makes it impractical to actually carry on a ship. Plus it is not compatible with VLS. I know the experience has helped us develop missiles like the Sagarika. But about time we stopped working on this missile.

The Dhanush programme is going to end up being a very expensive technology demonstrator. The liquid fuel makes it impractical to actually carry on a ship. Plus it is not compatible with VLS. I know the experience has helped us develop missiles like the Sagarika. But about time we stopped working on this missile.

1 - Liquid fuel can be much more easily kept stored in a missile on a boat than trucks, and has classically been carried on boats. Till the 1980s almost all Soviet SLBMs were liquid fueled.

2 - The Prithvis are all vertically launched. And it should not be any more incompatible with tube operations than a Shaurya if that's what you meant.

1 - Liquid fuel can be much more easily kept stored in a missile on a boat than trucks, and has classically been carried on boats. Till the 1980s almost all Soviet SLBMs were liquid fueled.

2 - The Prithvis are all vertically launched. And it should not be any more incompatible with tube operations than a Shaurya if that's what you meant.

while i agree with u r views. it takes more time to prepare liquid fuelled missile then solid fuelled msiisles. solid fuelled missiles are more compact and easy to handle. also the response launch time of solid fuelled time is very less as compared to liquid fuelled missiles.

Two N-missiles successfully test-fired:taz:

India on Friday successfully test-fired its homegrown nuclear-capable Prithvi II and Dhanush missiles, a defence official said. The Prithvi II surface-to-surface ballistic missile with a range of 350 km was launched from Chandipur, some 230 km from Orissa capital Bhubaneswar. Dhanush, the naval version of Prithvi with the same range, was launched from a naval ship off the Orissa coast.

"Both were fantastic missions, 100 per cent successful," ITR director SP Dash said, adding that the tests were carried out as part of training exercises.

Prithvi is India's first indigenously built ballistic missile. It is one of the five missiles being developed under India's Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.

The missile, with a flight duration of 483 seconds reaching a peak altitude of 43.5 km, has the capability to carry a 500 kg warhead.

Prithvi, which has features to deceive anti-ballistic missiles, uses an advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring capabilities and reaches its target with a few metres of accuracy.

The Dhanush was launched at 10.03 am from a warship that was anchored off the Puri coast, Dash said.

Prithvi II' was test-fired from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur at about 10.50 am, he added.

Source:N-missiles successfully test-fired - Hindustan Times

So, what's wrong if its expensive? Indians should not take up R&D just because its expensive?

Was Arundhati Roy your classmate?

And AFAIK they shifted to solid fueled ones because of the reasons I mentioned abpve.

I did not say they are not capable of being launched vertically. I said VLS. And I meant Sagarika. It's a submarine launched variant of the Shaurya

while i agree with u r views. it takes more time to prepare liquid fuelled missile then solid fuelled msiisles. solid fuelled missiles are more compact and easy to handle. also the response launch time of solid fuelled time is very less as compared to liquid fuelled missiles.

You've been gifted with a brain. Use it rather than regurgitating info of elementary classical land-based-systems scenarios.

We're talking s.t.o.r.a.b.l.e fuel, not cryogenic. On the ship the missile sits fueled up, and can do so during an entire mission, possibly for years on end. No refueling trucks train. No pre-launch preparations of the terrain. No setting up antennas and command post vehicles, since these sytems are integrated into the ship and run 24x7. Even if fuel and oxidizer are kept apart in tanks on the ship and not stored on the rocket (safety, doctrine etc) then you can fill it up more quickly than several trucks attaching, fueling and moving off in turns. Heck the fueling mechanism, pipes and all, could be left in place till the time fueling is required.

Prithvi 1/2/3 is not compact? Doesn't China's similar-sized M11 have a similar range?

The response time of a Prithvi sitting on its pad or in its silo would actually be less than that of a Pakistani Shaheen. It takes the latter minutes for the payload to be attached and verified, the package propped up, possible the fins attached...would the Dhanush undergo similar preps? No. FYI the SS-11 (liquid) and the Minuteman (solid), the two most prolific Soviet and US ballistic missiles deployed, had the same response time of 25 minutes.

So, what's wrong if its expensive? Indians should not take up R&D just because its expensive?

Shut the frak up before being arrogant for no reason. If you had the literacy to read through my whole post, I did say that the experience has helped us develop the sagarika. did I say it was a failure? Did I? I said it wont be deployed. And that makes it a tech demonstrator.

I to agree with him,why we need this program anymore when we had succeed in developing Sagarika and works currently going on the mythical K-XX or whatever,whats the point in again and again demonstrating the system if it had nothing new.

+ 1.

I practically dont understand the logic behind a SRBM on a boat.

For god sake universalize the inventory with Brahmos UVLMs or for long range strikes the Sagarika.

+ 1.

I practically dont understand the logic behind a SRBM on a boat.

For god sake universalize the inventory with Brahmos UVLMs or for long range strikes the Sagarika.

Exactly. I mean save the ballistic missiles for the submarines. Get the cruise missiles on the surface fleet

Back
Top Bottom