Awami govt set to destroy backbone of Bangladesh economy

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Govt takes a hard-line on RMG incentives

Bdnews24.com . Dhaka

The government has again taken a hard-line on providing financial incentive package to apparel sector seeking funds to bounce from a downturn induced by global meltdown.

‘It is not right that it will not be the end of the world if a child cries. The government will have to consider about all sectors,’ AMA Muhith told the news agency on Monday when he was asked whether the readymade garment sector would get the assistance.

‘Those sectors will come under incentive package that have been really affected by economic recession,’ Muhith said at the secretariat.

A committee, formed on the RMG sector with former finance minister M Saiduzzaman as the head, is set to meet today. The government will act on the recommendations of committee, the minister said. The industry’s top trade body, Bangladesh Garments Manufacturers and Exporters’ Association, at a media briefing on Sunday said they saw a 30 per cent dip in spot orders from buyers at this year’s BATEXPO, the country’s largest apparel fair.

Spot orders at last year’s expo amounted to $55.45 million; this year they totalled just $41.64 million, BGMEA president Abdus Salam Murshedy said.
Murshedy sought assistance from the government under incentive package. Opposition chief Khaleda Zia at the closing ceremony of BATEXPO also urged the government to give a portion of the financial stimulus package to the apparel sector.

But, minister Muhith said: ‘This is not a serious matter. The rise and decline of export in a sector is very natural.‘We should not think that everything will be over if a sector suffers less export.’

In April, the government rolled out a stimulus package of Tk 3,424 crore. However, the two major trade bodies of the garments industry, the BGMEA and Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association, were highly critical as the highest export-earning RMG sector was excluded altogether from the proposed package.

The two trade bodies later welcomed the revised Tk 5,000 crore package included in the FY 2009-10 budget, although they again expressed concern that the RMG sector still received no specific allocation.

On September 3, Murshedy said the sector required its own financial package of Tk 3,000 crore by September 7 to salvage the industry and help clear worker wages and allowances ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr.

The ultimatum was widely criticised by the government, workers, unions and even other business organisations. Muhith had rejected the demand, saying it was not right for the industry leaders to link the issue of financial support with worker dues ahead of Eid.

The BGMEA later issued an apology for their request, saying ‘mistakes in language’ and ‘frustration deriving from the global recession’ had prompted their appeal. BKMEA president M Fazlul Hoque said they did not expect much from today’s meeting.

He told the agency on Monday: ‘We are frustrated. The government is not admitting that the garment sector has been affected by recession.’

According to Export Processing Bureau data given on Sunday, export in knitwear sector had dropped by 27 per cent in September compared to the same period of the last year and fell 9 per cent in the first quarter of the current fiscal year.

‘This proves that the impact of global recession have hit us. To get over the loss we are seeking assistance in the form of incentive from the government,’ the BKMEA chief explained.

To tackle the global recession the government formed a taskforce in April with the representatives of public and private sectors and economists and researchers, with the finance minister heading. The taskforce held its first meeting on April 19. The government based the Tk 3,500 crore incentive package on the recommendations of the taskforce. The taskforce in its second meeting on September 16 decided to form a committee to deal with the recession.

The nine-member committee was formed on September 21 with former finance minister M Saiduzzaman. The committee is scheduled to hold a meeting at 10:30am today at the finance ministry.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/nov/10/busi.html

Apparel exports mark steep fall in Sept

Staff Correspondent

Apparel export revenues fell to $814 million in September, posting a 27 per cent decline from the same month of 2008, which the industry association attributed to delayed impacts of global recession.

The Export Promotion Bureau’s latest report showed that in the July-September quarter, apparel exports totalled $3031 million, which was $325 million less than the earnings in the first quarter of the previous fiscal.

‘It is like an earthquake for readymade garment exporters,’ Abdus Salam Murshedy, president of the BGMEA, said on Sunday.

‘I have no words to explain this,’ said Fazlul Hoque, president of Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters’ Association. He feared that such a steep fall in exports might prompt buyers to cut more prices for Bangladeshi apparels.

The official export promotion agency neither confirmed nor rejected the September export figure. ‘We have not yet released the report. Let me check it up tomorrow,’ Export Promotion Bureau vice-chairman M Shahab Ullah told New Age on Sunday.

September export figures reflected declines in orders from recession-hit western retailers in the middle of current year. Readymade garment exports started experiencing a negative growth from June this year. In August 2009, readymade garment export proceeds stood at $1043 million, which was 1.23 per cent less than the amount earned in August 2008.

Global trade analyst Mustafizur Rahman said massive fall in export incomes indicated delayed impacts of global recession on Bangladesh’s readymade garment sector. ‘It is a serious warning, a wakeup call for us,’ said Mustafiz, executive director of research organisation Centre for Policy Dialogue.

He felt that immediate government incentives had become inevitable now. ‘Anyhow exporters must stay afloat.’ The other products recorded declines are home textile, textile fabrics, tea, leather, frozen foods, ceramic products and handicrafts. But, jute and jute goods, cut flower, foliage, agro-processed food, terry towel, melamine tableware, leather bags and purses have done better in the first quarter exceeding the target.

The EPB report also showed overall export during July-September stood at $ 3871 million 10.60 per cent shortfall of target and 11.66 per cent lower than the corresponding period of last year. The government has set an ambitious export target of $ 17600 million during the current fiscal year as against last year’s total of $15565 million.

I think the idea of "Digital Bangladesh" by Awami govt. which was given before election-2008, was just a mere bluff idea to the nation. They used this phrase as catalyst for wining the election. And this phrase inspired the young generation, as they told that they will bring a lot facilities to the people like easy Internet service or bla bla, by which the younger generation got inspiration to vote them.
But, in fact, they still have done nothing.

You guyz may remember that, Barak Obama used a phrase that "we need change" which bring success to him and inspired a lot of people to vote him.
Thus Awami govt. used the phrase 'Digital Bangladesh" which inspired a lot of people to vote them but, in fact, they haven't still done anything according to that "Digital Bangladesh" idea for us.
Many times they say that we will do that ......or that....but, actually, they do nothing. They said that there will be no internal terrorist, electricity, traffic jam or unemployment problems but, in fact, their all words proved as mere bull sh*t.
I think they are enough keen to bull sh*t the people by giving fake ideas but our emotional nation can not understand these.

So their "Digital Bangladesh" idea was a trick to win the election and in real, I think, they can not explain even that, what is "Digital Bangladesh". In fact, they have no intention to develop BD but give some bull and fake hope or idea.

Right?

Last edited:
I think the idea of "Digital Bangladesh" by Awami govt. which was given before election-2008, was just a mere bluff idea to the nation. They used this phrase as catalyst for wining the election. And this phrase inspired the young generation, as they told that they will bring a lot facilities to the people like easy Internet service or bla bla, by which the younger generation got inspiration to vote them.
But, in fact, they still have done nothing.

You guyz may remember that, Barak Obama used a phrase that "we need change" which bring success to him and inspired a lot of people to vote him.
Thus Awami govt. used the phrase 'Digital Bangladesh" which inspired a lot of people to vote them but, in fact, they haven't still done anything according to that "Digital Bangladesh" idea for us.
Many times they say that we will do that ......or that....but, actually, they do nothing. They said that there will be no internal terrorist, electricity, traffic jam or unemployment problems but, in fact, their all words proved as mere bull sh*t.
I think they are enough keen to bull sh*t the people by giving fake ideas but our emotional nation can not understand these.

So their "Digital Bangladesh" idea was a trick to win the election and in real, I think, they can not explain even that, what is "Digital Bangladesh". In fact, they have no intention to develop BD but give some bull and fake hope or idea.

Right?

That is more of a political lecture.
My assesment to the AL govt so far is very positive. They initiated all the projects they promised before election.

1) Eductaion - Right on track. Already we got the education policy. TLM is on the final stage to roll out again. More public universities are in the pipe line. Up to class 8, books are free now.
2) Health - More hospital project in dhaka initiated. community clinic project is revived which was stopped by BNP. 6000 more doctors are in process of recruitment.
3) Communication - All the major projects are given positive nod from ECNEC. Dhk-Cht high way, 2nd Dhk-Cht high way, Dhaka express way, Dhaka metro rail, Dhaka - Coxs bazar rail road, Padma bridge, Dhaka - Khulna rail way. All these projects are initiated and given to go ahead.
4) Air travel - New airport is given to go ahead for feasibility study.
5) Deep sea port - Given to go ahead. The work will start from next year.
6) Electricity - I dont want to say more to this as they already doubled the target of electricity generation by 2014. Every month new bids are approved and given to go ahead. Nuclear deal is signed in Russia last week. Hope they will start nukes soon too.
7) Water ways- First time in the history of Bangladesh this govt initiated to dredge all the major river and stop erosion in Jamuna and Padma. 3 out 17 planned dredger already given work order. New EPZ deicated for ship building already planned.

With so many things on the pipeline, I can guarantee you a better Bangladesh by the end of 2014 if not digital Bangladesh. I would still be happy with analog if all those projects are materialized.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Apparel exports mark steep fall in Sept

Staff Correspondent

Apparel export revenues fell to $814 million in September, posting a 27 per cent decline from the same month of 2008, which the industry association attributed to delayed impacts of global recession.

The Export Promotion Bureau’s latest report showed that in the July-September quarter, apparel exports totalled $3031 million, which was $325 million less than the earnings in the first quarter of the previous fiscal.

‘It is like an earthquake for readymade garment exporters,’ Abdus Salam Murshedy, president of the BGMEA, said on Sunday.

‘I have no words to explain this,’ said Fazlul Hoque, president of Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters’ Association. He feared that such a steep fall in exports might prompt buyers to cut more prices for Bangladeshi apparels.

The official export promotion agency neither confirmed nor rejected the September export figure. ‘We have not yet released the report. Let me check it up tomorrow,’ Export Promotion Bureau vice-chairman M Shahab Ullah told New Age on Sunday.

September export figures reflected declines in orders from recession-hit western retailers in the middle of current year. Readymade garment exports started experiencing a negative growth from June this year. In August 2009, readymade garment export proceeds stood at $1043 million, which was 1.23 per cent less than the amount earned in August 2008.

Global trade analyst Mustafizur Rahman said massive fall in export incomes indicated delayed impacts of global recession on Bangladesh’s readymade garment sector. ‘It is a serious warning, a wakeup call for us,’ said Mustafiz, executive director of research organisation Centre for Policy Dialogue.

He felt that immediate government incentives had become inevitable now. ‘Anyhow exporters must stay afloat.’ The other products recorded declines are home textile, textile fabrics, tea, leather, frozen foods, ceramic products and handicrafts. But, jute and jute goods, cut flower, foliage, agro-processed food, terry towel, melamine tableware, leather bags and purses have done better in the first quarter exceeding the target.

The EPB report also showed overall export during July-September stood at $ 3871 million 10.60 per cent shortfall of target and 11.66 per cent lower than the corresponding period of last year. The government has set an ambitious export target of $ 17600 million during the current fiscal year as against last year’s total of $15565 million.

We had a unusual growth of 45% in the first quarter of 2008-09. 11% decline is just an adjustment to this. Dont worry we have plenty of orders for the rest of the year now.

My assesment to the AL govt so far is very positive. They initiated all the projects they promised before election.

1) Eductaion - Right on track. Already we got the education policy. TLM is on the final stage to roll out again. More public universities are in the pipe line. Up to class 8, books are free now.
2) Health - More hospital project in dhaka initiated. community clinic project is revived which was stopped by BNP. 6000 more doctors are in process of recruitment.
3) Communication - All the major projects are given positive nod from ECNEC. Dhk-Cht high way, 2nd Dhk-Cht high way, Dhaka express way, Dhaka metro rail, Dhaka - Coxs bazar rail road, Padma bridge, Dhaka - Khulna rail way. All these projects are initiated and given to go ahead.
6) Electricity - I dont want to say more to this as they already doubled the target of electricity generation by 2014. Every month new bids are approved and given to go ahead. Nuclear deal is signed in Russia last week. Hope they will start nukes soon too.
7) Water ways- First time in the history of Bangladesh this govt initiated to dredge all the major river and stop erosion in Jamuna and Padma. 3 out 17 planned dredger already given work order. New EPZ deicated for ship building already planned.

With so many things on the pipeline, I can guarantee you a better Bangladesh by the end of 2014 if not digital Bangladesh. I would still be happy with analog if all those projects are materialized.

Very optimistic govt that we ever seen! What ever u said, if those are true then I think they will rule as govt forever with the support of people.
May be I will vote them next time if those projects come true.

Yes I agree that they have taken some bravo steps which other political parties can not think but still skeptic about their intension as their foreign policy is not good.

Whatever, Time will say! 'M bit optimistic about them.

There are clear differences and context between "economy" and "development project". Since, you can not recognize this simple distinction, one should question your ability and your comments based on Awami party lines.

That been said, ONE YEAR passed most of these you listed are on "promise land" has not seen much in terms of light of implementation. Just like awami pre election "digital deception" still haunting people.

In real economic picture,

1) 10 taka kg/rice long been concluded pre election hoax staged by awami govt. Inflation soared in last one year, more than when commodity price was all time high in global market.

2) FDI and even domestic investment came to an screeching halt.

3) Jobless rate is going up

4) Manpower export for last one year has been dismal. Major destination like KSA taking more than 100000 people from country like Nepal but awami govt failed miserably in KSA and in Mylaysia.

5) Import of Capital machinery, forward indicator of investment activity already in negligible territory.

6) Graments stimulas already been turned down by awami govt to benefit indians.

7) Overall business growth and investment stagnated

list goes on.....

Last edited:
ONE YEAR passed most of these you listed are on "promise land" has not seen much in terms of light of implementation. Just like awami pre election "digital deception" still haunting people.
Haha.. I like the phrase "Digital Deception". May be the new way to fraud by Digital Awami govt.

Last edited:
Awami League is implementing another recipe for destroying local farms, poultry and fishery. Not to mention this is perfect Indian setup to spread any Bird flu and any other epidemic through this so called hatt as this hatt will be out of any sanitary & phytosanitary requirements. 1972 Awami League has done that once but this thime Awami govt making that destruction of lacal farm and industries permanent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dhaka, Delhi likely to sign 'border haat' agreement during PM's visit

Nazmul Ahsan

Dhaka and New Delhi are likely to sign a 'border haat (market)' agreement during the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to India to ease the hardship of the people residing in either side of the border, particularly in hilly frontiers, sources in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) said.

A meeting, held last Thursday at the MoFA, decided to finalise details of the border haat deal ahead of the Prime Minister's visit. The Foreign Minister Dipu Moni presided over the meeting, while Adviser to the Prime Minister HT Imam and top bureaucrats from different ministries and divisions concerned attended.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will fly to India on December 18 next on a three-day official visit.

India sent a 'Concept Paper' on the proposed haat soon after the incumbent government took office, sources said.

The proposed trade under the border haat will be kept outside the purview of the customs duty, foreign trade policy, sanitary & phytosanitary requirements and all sorts of technical barriers to trade, said the concept paper.

India has preferred barter to cash transaction for the proposed trade with a view to checking any illegal money exchange.

Commerce Secretary Firoz Ahmed said the border haats would benefit the population living in either side of the border.

"Population living in the remote frontier areas will be benefited if the border haats are introduced," Firoz told the FE Sunday.

"We are examining every aspect of the proposal before taking any concrete decision before the visit of the Prime Minister to India.'

New Delhi has sent a list of commodities to be traded under the proposed marketing. The commodities include mainly agriculture and cottage items. Border market points, which will be mutually agreed, will be properly marked and fenced to restrict unauthorised movement, says the paper. Selected market places, may be ten kilometres inside the territory of the both the countries from the no-man's land, would be demarcated, an official in the foreign ministry said.

'Specific areas for these 'haats' may be notified, properly marked and fenced to restrict unauthorized trans-border movement,' reads the proposal.

"Entry/exit should be regulated through single gate and record maintained ' at each gate. Frisking/checking during entry and exit should be carried out."

The commodities to be traded in the haats" are- locally produced agriculture commodities, horticulture products including spices whether dried or powdered forms), minor forest products excluding timber), fresh and dry fish, dairy, fishery and poultry products, produces of local cottage industries like gamchha (thin towels), wooden furniture and cane products manufactured by local population, utensils and equipment of iron for sowing and agriculture purposes like dao, plough, axe, spade, chisel etc.

"The list mentioning commodities which can be traded in border haats should be notified and displayed prominently," reads the Indian concept paper.

"The trade should be based on barter system and there should be no exchange of currency as it may lead to mushrooming of illegal money exchanges."

Border haats should be held once a week or fortnight or month, and be closed latest by 3 pm, the proposal said.

A standard operational procedure has been proposed to regulate the haats, where security forces of both the countries would not enter.

"No security forces of Bangladesh and India will be allowed to enter these haats. However, representatives of security agencies, who are conversant with the situation, may be allowed access to these haats for specific purposes," reads the proposal.

The concept paper, however, expressed concerns over possible introduction of criminal activities and smuggling in the way of operating the proposed border trade.

'The setting up of border haats along the India-Bangladesh border should address perceived security concerns, namely, trans border criminal activity, smuggling, illegal migration, movement of insurgence terrorists etc,' reads the paper.

"Hopefully, we would be able to take a positive decision towards signing the border haat agreement with India ahead of the PM's visit to India so that agreement is signed,'' a top foreign ministry official told the FE.

"Commodities to be traded under the proposed haats and the locations and the number of haats might be finalized after the signing of the agreement", he said.

However, the experience of border market (trade) between India and Bangladesh was not pleasant. The system was introduced in April 1972, but was cancelled in 1973 amid rampant smuggling along the boarder areas that made the formal market system redundant.

A total of 181 land customs stations were established across the borders in 1972 by the then government to operate the trading system, Operations of around 130 such stations were suspended soon after the government decided not to continue border trade.

Trading of all kinds of commodities, excepting yarn, milk powder, sugar and potato, were allowed at that time. Even then, there were gross violations of whatever restrictions remained, leading to suspension of the bilateral trade arrangement only after a brief period.

"Proposed border haats would seriously hamper normal trade between the two neighboring countries as the past experience had been painful," Mohammed Shahabuddin, former National Board of Revenue official told the FE.

Whatever stringent regulations are enforced to restrict smuggling will all go in vain. Such steps were also enforced during the post independence period, but those did not work, he added.

The people living in either side of the border are very much prone to the vice of smuggling, he said further

Two-way trade is heavily tilted to India as Bangladesh's exports figured $276.58 million against her imports of $ 2.84 billion from India in the 2008-09 fiscal year.

Dhaka, Delhi likely to sign 'border haat' agreement during PM's visit

Last edited:
Exporters not impressed

Thu, Nov 26th, 2009 2:23 am

Dhaka, Nov25 (bdnews24.com)—The economic stimulus package for export-focused industries will not benefit small and medium industries, apparel exporters say.
The government on Wednesday rolled out an additional Tk 1,000 crore package to help the readymade garment industries to deal with the aftermaths of global economic recession.

In April, the government unveiled a stimulus package of Tk 3,424 crore on the recommendations of the recession taskforce, but the garment industry was not included.

Wednesday's package was revealed on the recommendations of the committee on RMG sector, Muhith said.

"Small and medium garments are the worst hit sector by the current global economic slump," Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association president M Fazlul Hoque said a news conference later in the day.

"We proposed special facilities to the sector but the announced package will do no good to the sector," he asserted.

In a separate press conference, Bangladesh Garments Manufacturer and Exporter Association (BGMEA) president Abdus Salam Murshedi said, "We expected the package would include short-term and long-term plans but there are no such things in the package."

"The package has nothing to do with small and medium industries. It failed to meet our expectation."

The small and medium range garment industries--industries which earn up to $3 million--have been given aid separately.

They will be provided assistance at five percent on the increased income compared to the last fiscal year.

Hoque said, "Export fell sharply over the first three months of the current fiscal year."

If smaller industries exported more than the previous year, they would need no package assistance, he said.

So, the stimulus package for them is meaningless, he said

Those small and medium factories that do not have their own captive generator or diesel-run generator will be given 10 percent assistance on electricity bill up to June 30, 2010.

The additional incentive will be given at five percent in the first year, four percent in the second year and two percent in the third year as additional subsidy on the income of the export of new products and expansion of new markets (except US, Canada and EU countries).

Murshedi said small and medium industries will have to meet many terms and conditions to get aid, which are almost impossible.

Hoque said workers are being paid salaries along with Eid bonus.

He said, "No salaries and bonus are outstanding in our factories. Efforts were made to create disturbance in some factories which have been handled duly."

Murshedi said, "Business is going through a bad phase. We are helping the owners whose condition is very bad."

Several hundred people were waiting for salaries and bonuses in front of BGMEA Bhaban on Wednesday.

Exporters not impressed | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

It will make me happy even if all the projects are not materialized. It is almost impossible to implement all the dream projects within the time frme of 2014. However, not all the promises will go also in vain. Whichever political Party comes to power in BD, it will have to adopt to the new standard that has been set during CTG. It will have to try to develop the country.

BD govt has always been filled with bad managers, but as the country is becoming rich and the govt coffer will be awash with money through taxation in the coming years, therefore, the govt bureucrats and politicains must show their talents how best to use this money to build the social infrastructure. This is the main job of a govt.

This govt can be credited with at least pronouncing openly the requirements of the country. These are subway, city railway, city riverway, city expressway, Dhaka-Chittagong new highway, 2nd Padma bridge, power plants, an LNG terminal to import gas, deep sea-port, importing power from Bhutan, nepal and india, new railway lines to connect Dhaka with the south-west etc. etc.

Some of the above projects will get started and some will not. But, a newly elected future govt may not find it comfortable to shelve an ongoing project. This was very normal until recently, but future may be a little different. A new govt will have to continue and complete all these projects, otherwise, there will be political backlush.

However, I am wondering about the negative title of this thread. The starter should note a past govt has destroyed the economy by not building power plants in the country. It had even stopped the building of such a plant in Bhola. These politicians are not here to work for the country, their only goal is to live in a govt house built on a 9 acre plot.

I am personally not leaned towards any political party. A cat, black or white, is worth getting attention if it can catch mouse. Let us hope, all our political cats would learn how to catch mouse.

Last edited:
Awami govt is cancelling 60-70% stipend/incentive program for poor girls which was designed to increase female education. A prime initiative to uplift poor people. Because of such initiative enrollment increased 33% to 53%. Without such incentive many poor girls would stay away from school. This will hit the nation very fundamentally as female education is key to our long term growth and prosperity.

Report in Bangla
AMAR DESH PUBLICATIONS

This govt can be credited with at least pronouncing openly the requirements of the country. These are subway, city railway, city riverway, city expressway, Dhaka-Chittagong new highway, 2nd Padma bridge, power plants, an LNG terminal to import gas, deep sea-port, importing power from Bhutan, nepal and india, new railway lines to connect Dhaka with the south-west etc. etc.

To expose some of your deceptive lie "This (Awami) govt can be credited with at least pronouncing openly the requirements of the country", here are old news on who started these development projects. Pronuncing does not mean squat if no action taken and so far "digital deception" in Awami score card.

Subway/elevated expressway – are BNP initiated project

Local firm chosen (by BNP govt)to build Dhaka subway

The Daily Star Web Edition Vol. 5 Num 743
Elevated Express Railway
-------------------
MoU signed with US co to conduct feasibility study

A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and American Transport System Corporation (ATSC) here yesterday to conduct feasibility study on construction of elevated express railway in the capital to ease traffic congestion.

Chief Executive Officer of DCC Saifuddin Ahmed and ATSC President Norbert Von Boode signed the MoU on behalf of their respective sides in presence of City Mayor Sadeque Hossain Khoka at Nagar Bhaban.

After the signing, the mayor told the state-run news agency that the American company would conduct feasibility study on setting up of elevated express railway or sky rail line in and around the capital.

Younusuzzaman, local partner of ATSC, said nearly 100-km rail lines will be installed under the project that includes 40-km lines from Narayanganj to Joydevpur, nearly 40-km lines from Sadarghat to Savar and 20-km circular rail lines.

The project will be implemented at a cost of Tk over 6,500 crore, he said, adding that a 50-MW power plant will be installed to meet electricity requirement to run the trains on all routes.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/10/06/d61006060865.htm

First phase of expressway starts shortly (by BNP govt)
The Daily Star Web Edition Vol. 5 Num 207

city riverway – its called circular waterway, BNP stared and made dredging in Balu and Turag river. BNP completed 1st phase and 2nd phase of another 40 kn should have started long back.

Khaleda Zia inaugurated the 26.5-kilometer Swarighat-Ashulia section of a circular waterway
Article: PM- Capital waterways. | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

Dhaka-Chittagong new highway – BNP was in process of awarding tender but Awami supported Moeen U canceled the project.
Dhaka-Ctg expressway okayed (by BNP govt)and tender was suppose to call at year end. Azimat Consortium was possible possible bidder.

The Daily Star Web Edition Vol. 5 Num 747

Padma bridge – BNP did feasibility study, site selection and other ground works.
Govt (BNP)opts for pvt sector funding for Padma Bridge construction
Zahedul Islam

The government is planning to involve the private sector to get funding for the construction of the proposed 6.01 kilometre bridge over the River Padma at the Mawa-Jajira point.

The construction of the 25 metre wide four-lane bridge, which would cost about Tk 8,500 crore, is expected to begin in 2008 with provision for rail track. It will take about six years to complete the bridge.
http://www.newagebd.com/2006/mar/05/front.html#5

LNG terminal - BNP was considering Kuwait/Saudi proposal for a comprehensive regional LNG and OIL terminal in CTG. Let's see if Awami govt can carry it through.

Deep sea-port – BNP stared the feasibility study using Japanese contractor.

Japanese firm selected (by BNP govt)for deep sea port study
ZAHEDUL ISLAM
The government has selected Pacific Consultants International of Japan to conduct a feasibility study for a deep sea port in the country.
The port committee, headed by shipping minister Akbar Hossain, at a meeting on Wednesday decided to award the contract to Pacific Consultants as the firm has asked for a fee of Tk 11.27 crore, which is the lowest bid.
http://www.newagebd.com/2006/feb/09/front.html#16

Importing power from Bhutan, nepal and india – is still on talking phase. Regardless this is hardly beneficial to bangladesh unless bulk power can be imported from Nepal hyro projects. That prospect is 10-15 years away, that is if all permission and infrastructure is done.

railway lines to connect Dhaka with the south-west – that is natural progression after Padma bridge. Working rather than talking much is what counts.

Last edited:
merged in previous post and deleted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom