What's new

Auto policy approved, door wide open for new entrant

Can the bureaucracy tolerate using a domestic nameplate? That is the key question to ask.
perhaps the bureaucracy is better off answering that than me,

Yeah, but at the end of the day, those cars are built to utilize their components in the best and most efficient way possible. Revo however didn't.

Well, let's say there was one. Would you have bought a Revo, in 2006? Or a Vitz? Or a dozen other Kei cars?. Now to foreign joint ventures, if we could've handled the big three properly, maybe we would have a 100 percent manafacturing rate.
But if joint venture is a way to bring, say Volkswagen to make cars in Pakistan, I would let one commence.
my honest answer is no, simply because its importance wouldve been overshadowed by already present good options. the scenario now is very different.
I am in no way saying that joint ventures aint good for our industry,If a joint venture actually brings a good product in Pakistan, Im all up for it.

It is not just cars. Anything that Pakistan makes can be made better, cheaper or faster somewhere else in the world. It is up to Pakistan to decide whether it wants to adopt protectionist policies to support local production and have its citizen put up with poor quality products at high prices, or to adopt free market policies which will kill off local industries but provide its markets with world quality good at fair prices.
there has to be a trade off between the above 2 approaches, the government cant basically go for either of the options.
it wont be as simple as its stated.

there has to be a trade off between the above 2 approaches, the government cant basically go for either of the options.

What is clear is that the present trade-off is more of a kludge and not delivering the desired results, in just about every field worthy of note.

If Pakistan was just slightly a bit more "well off"
We could've lobbied our market size in trade for local production. But, it's a sad state of affairs. :(

Pakistan is a relatively big market, and with a rising middle class. It is its own policies that let it down, and nothing else.

Is it too hard to guess what the answer will be?

my honest answer is no, simply because its importance wouldve been overshadowed by already present good options. the scenario now is very different.
I am in no way saying that joint ventures aint good for our industry,If a joint venture actually brings a good product in Pakistan, Im all up for it.

How many ventures can go wrong? There are a dozen auto-car companies who would set up in Pakistan, if we make a good example of "what happens when you do not do what you promised "
Of the Big Three, the rest will follow suit.
What is clear is that the present trade-off is more of a kludge and not delivering the desired results, in just about every field worthy of note.

Pakistan is a relatively big market, and with a rising middle class. It is its own policies that let it down, and nothing else.

Agreed, till then; I'll stick with imported cars.

My guess would be just as good as yours.

How many ventures can go wrong? There are a dozen auto-car companies who would set up in Pakistan, if we make a good example of "what happens when you do not do what you promised "
Of the Big Three, the rest will follow suit.

Agreed, till then; I'll stick with imported cars.
Let there be a venture venture first, as of now we're just waiting. It seems the government isn't that strong to contest all 3

My guess would be just as good as yours.

Let there be a venture venture first, as of now we're just waiting. It seems the government isn't that strong to contest all 3
We had many opportunities of a joint venture, but alas, we missed them all.

And not just cars, most Pakistani consumers prefer imported items in many categories.
True, and sadly; almost all could've been made in Pakistan. From foodstuffs to nail polish. From cars to deodorants.

True, and sadly; almost all could've been made in Pakistan. From foodstuffs to nail polish. From cars to deodorants.

Then why not follow free market policies rather than protectionist ones?

Then why not follow free market policies rather than protectionist ones?
Because Pakistan....
spongebob-rainbow.jpg

Because Pakistan....

... is not like that, and I would risk a permaban, if I posted something that showed the reality. After all, protectionism creates a neat environment for smuggling and cartels, of which spare parts and cars are a good example. Guess who benefits from such an arrangement? Hint: it is not the consumers.

... is not like that, and I would risk a permaban, if I posted something that showed the reality. After all, protectionism creates a neat environment for smuggling and cartels, of which spare parts and cars are a good example. Guess who benefits from such an arrangement? Hint: it is not the consumers.
But to an extent, even the local car manafacturers didn't exactly thrive because of the smugglers.

But to an extent, even the local car manafacturers didn't exactly thrive because of the smugglers.

They thrived by selling cheap crap at high prices to consumers who are not allowed to import cars freely by law and taxes.

They thrived by selling cheap crap at high prices to consumers who are not allowed to import cars freely by law and taxes.
They did do that, but I see a lot of imported Japanese cars, here in Karachi, even my mom has one. Mine wasn't built in Pakistan either, and it was dirt cheap.

Mr.Meap whats it to you...you don't even know how to drive a car ! :tongue:
Yas, I do, who press the pedal into the furthest right, and it goes, vroom vroom!
And you press the pedal on the left and stops (I drive an automatic, okay?) .
And the big wheel in front of you controls your humble iron cocoon.

They did do that, but I see a lot of imported Japanese cars, here in Karachi, even my mom has one. Mine wasn't built in Pakistan either, and it was dirt cheap.

Those are all Japanese rejects, not quality cars. They appear to be great only because the other options are even lousier.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom