What's new

Artificial Intelligence - Just how close are we?

SvenSvensonov

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• hstjfdqwj6dc0kt2pmzi.jpg
    hstjfdqwj6dc0kt2pmzi.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 639
  • 1111356339333839019.png
    1111356339333839019.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 588
  • 1111356339369854891.png
    1111356339369854891.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 580
  • aizd0rmjns0lnfxxx7nt.png
    aizd0rmjns0lnfxxx7nt.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 570
  • un1idzy5sshwpsruogwg.png
    un1idzy5sshwpsruogwg.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 1111356339423473067.jpg
    1111356339423473067.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 1111356339485087147.jpg
    1111356339485087147.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 1111356339536828075.png
    1111356339536828075.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 582
Last edited by a moderator:
I recall posting about this earlier. Regardless of the processing power we throw at it, true artificial intelligence will not be achieved without significant investigation into the non-computable elements and the phenomenon of quantum decoherence observed in physical neural networks.

Not to worry, a few brilliant minds are soon going to be working on this. We can all look forward to a time when humans are truly obsolete.

My oh my, another excellent thread. I'll pass on the rating elsewhere since this is member's club.

And I think the whole accelerating progress, exponential pattern is being recognized for what it is now more-so than it was before often I've thought about this.

A few years ago I attended a lecture at the Royal Institution in London about this very topic, it was very brief, started off with the basics of the Turing test... but it said more or less what @kbd-raaf said. We're not even close to the advent of true AI. Yet it already surpasses the common folks' view of the current level of AI.

My oh my, another excellent thread. I'll pass on the rating elsewhere since this is member's club.

And I think the whole accelerating progress, exponential pattern is being recognized for what it is now more-so than it was before often I've thought about this.

A few years ago I attended a lecture at the Royal Institution in London about this very topic, it was very brief, started off with the basics of the Turing test... but it said more or less what @kbd-raaf said. We're not even close to the advent of true AI. Yet it already surpasses the common folks' view of the current level of AI.

Do you recall the name of the lecturer by any chance?

Do you recall the name of the lecturer by any chance?

No idea I've forgotten the name, this was at least 3 years ago or so.

@Jungibaaz - A question. I see a Pakistan Science and Tech forum, is there one for non-Pakistani science and tech - does the Pakistan Science and Tech forum all for non-Pakistani tech and science or is it for indigenous inventions and innovations only? Or does the Members Section serve this purpose? To me the Members Section is a bit too whimsy for science and tech, but if that's the option it will suffice.

That section is meant to be for Pakistan affairs, but the posting of non-Pakistan related science and tech news is tolerated as far as I know. If you want, I can move this thread there now.

No idea I've forgotten the name, this was at least 3 years ago or so.

That section is meant to be for Pakistan affairs, but the posting of non-Pakistan related science and tech news is tolerated as far as I know. If you want, I can move this thread there now.

I would appreciate that - the thread being moved. As far as I'm concerned our scientific discoveries belong to the world! Science is universal, it never remains confined to a singular boundary or border.

I would appreciate that - the thread being moved. As far as I'm concerned our scientific discoveries belong to the world! Science is universal, it never remains confined to a singular boundary or border.

Done. Well said, it belongs to us all, and ideally this forum should also have such a section outside of politics and Pakistan affairs.

Human Augmentation is the first step after that we would be MATURED to go for Artificial Intelligence so first Mastering Human Augmentation is important then artificial intelligence...

View attachment 191692

The average rate of advancement between 1985 and 2015 was higher than the rate between 1955 and 1985—because the former was a more advanced world—so much more change happened in the most recent 30 years than in the prior 30.

hmmm....well....as someone from 1985...I'd have to think about this.
PC's: had them already
laptops: had them already
cell phones: had them already (mostly in cars)
cars: not really that much improvement
internet: well not common...but had compuserve..oh and dial up bbs' ( :-))
TV: had cable back then, obviously no HDTV

If our meager brains were able to invent wifi, then something 100 or 1,000 or 1 billion times smarter than we are should have no problem controlling the positioning of each and every atom in the world in any way it likes, at any time—everything we consider magic, every power we imagine a supreme being to have will be as mundane an activity for the ASI as flipping on a light switch is for us. Creating the technology to reverse human aging, curing disease and hunger and even mortality, reprogramming the weather to protect the future of life on Earth—all suddenly possible. Also possible is the immediate end of all life on Earth. As far as we're concerned, if an ASI comes to being, there is now an omnipotent leader on Earth—and the all-important question for us is:

Not to be too pessimistic here, but this whole article is too much of a gibberish. All these so-called futurists we hear so often about are in fact not futurists at all. Remember that famous futurist Jacques Fresco of the Venus Project and Zeitgeist Movement? He made huge sums of money 'selling' his utopian ideas to the world before 2012 doomsday scenarios collapsed like house of cards. These futurists can't predict a damn thing right as its impossible to "know" the future. Our biggest computers were predicting wonderful times ahead, world peace and harmony, growing economy before 2007 - 2008 global meltdown and 2010 'Arab revolts' that shook the very fabric of the Middle East to this date. Therefore I would never believe what these so-called AI's and futurists want us to believe. In order to witness artificial intelligence, one must first experience real intelligence first-hand. As it turned out, spending trillions of dollars globally on military industrial complex instead of fighting poverty, diseases and illiteracy doesn't show signs of collective human intelligence at all, rather an embarrassment to our so-called "superior" species ! :D

@Jungibaaz What's your illuminatis' take on this?

hmmm....well....as someone from 1985...I'd have to think about this.
PC's: had them already
laptops: had them already
cell phones: had them already (mostly in cars)
cars: not really that much improvement
internet: well not common...but had compuserve..oh and dial up bbs' ( :-))
TV: had cable back then, obviously no HDTV
1985 Back to the future movie predicted flying cars, levitating skateboards and other forms of hyper technology in 2015 which of course never materialised. And I am damn sure why because we were unable to solve the basic anti-gravity problem :D

The two don't have to converge though, one can exist without the other. We humans can augment ourselves with mechanical or cybernetic parts, or we can integrate robotics with human intelligence, it matters not, but the two do exist independently.

I did a thread on initiatives across the US. I'm in the research game.

Military Human Augmentation
Your Profile looks Amazing and your Work in research is also commendable I would say...

I dont know Brain Augmentation on Human subjects have begun or not but if their is Brain Augmented device that can be use to provide Instructions to a Robot wouldn't that slow down Artificial Intelligence Research???

Not to be too pessimistic here, but this whole article is too much of a gibberish. All these so-called futurists we hear so often about are in fact not futurists at all. Remember that famous futurist Jacques Fresco of the Venus Project and Zeitgeist Movement? He made huge sums of money 'selling' his utopian ideas to the world before 2012 doomsday scenarios collapsed like house of cards. These futurists can't predict a damn thing right as its impossible to "know" the future. Our biggest computers were predicting wonderful times ahead, world peace and harmony, growing economy before 2007 - 2008 global meltdown and 2010 'Arab revolts' that shook the very fabric of the Middle East to this date. Therefore I would never believe what these so-called AI's and futurists want us to believe. In order to witness artificial intelligence, one must first experience real intelligence first-hand. As it turned out, spending trillions of dollars globally on military industrial complex instead of fighting poverty, diseases and illiteracy doesn't show signs of collective human intelligence at all, rather an embarrassment to our so-called "superior" species ! :D

AI isn't some futurist project, it's happening:

These Magic Tricks Were Designed by Artificial Intelligence

If Google DeepMind Is Worried About Artificial Intelligence Then You Should Be Too - Business Insider

Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - Research at Google

Artificial Intelligence | edX

Are the robots about to rise? Google's new director of engineering thinks so… | Technology | The Guardian

Also, I know PDF doesn't like religious discussions, so I wont discuss this, but it is an important topic to examine, just don't do so here.

When Superintelligent AI Arrives, Will Religions Try to Convert It?

I don't ascribe to "futurism", all futuristic concepts become reality sooner or later. Even some that haven't gone mainstream are still around... such as flying cars or personal robots.

AI is happening now, it might not be at human levels, but lets not dismiss it either.

Now, on the sentence you highlighted, yeah, that's a bit overboard, but it was light-hearted joke. Kind of a running gag with any discussion of AI.

1985 Back to the future movie predicted flying cars, levitating skateboards and other forms of hyper technology in 2015 which of course never materialised. And I am damn sure why because we were unable to solve the basic anti-gravity problem :D

Glad you mentioned levitating skateboards, I've been wanting to post this!!!

lnayiisbpmc4nylhpgy5.gif

Engineers create real Back to the Future hoverboard and it really works

Yes, it's not Back to the Future... yet, but it's still a great step forwards!!!

Last edited:
@Jungibaaz What's your illuminatis' take on this?

We're pulling the strings, trying to make a master race of made in Liechtenstein true AI beings. It should work too as long as the world is blind to our intentions and keeps blaming the Joos for everything.

Though on a serious note, I don't think we as humans realise the implications and the capability of AI, it's seriously underestimated and something very strong and close to true AI can have huge consequences, it makes you sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it's true.

He should be made a TT.

I went over some of his posts. What he posts is actual TT material, there is research and valid points. I've yet to come across a better TT poster than him.

He brings shame to me (considering you know some of my work), which is embarrassing. This means I'm going to write something up this week!

He should be made a TT.

I went over some of his posts. What he posts is actual TT material, there is research and valid points. I've yet to come across a better TT poster than him.

He brings shame to me (considering you know some of my work), which is embarrassing. This means I'm going to write something up this week!

The Professional status is already there. And in some respects it is equal if not above Think Tank status. They differ in that Professionals actually have the relevant background in real life, as do think tanks that have worked in related fields, but many professionals have served also.

But yes, I agree, I don't like picking favourites among our TT/Professionals but...

:ashamed:

:cry: - but I like my Professional title. Very appreciative about the vote of confidence though:yahoo:! I try my best to provide good, educational and sometimes funny info to PDF.

Perhaps a new title is needed, 'Grand Master Yoda' or something.

Back
Top Bottom