What's new

Army to set up 72 ranges to train sharpshooters

1nd1a

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: The Army has decided to set up "baffle ranges'' to ensure its soldiers can be properly trained to become sharpshooters. The force has been grappling with a steep decline in availability of firing ranges due to rapid urbanization and growing environmental and safety concerns.

Civilians being killed or injured by stray bullets from firing ranges has long troubled the Army, which has seen inhabitations come up around its once-secluded 62 cantonments and other military establishments around the country.

Consequently, the 1.13-million force has got the defence ministry's nod for construction for 72 baffle ranges, which require less than 50 acres of real estate as compared to about 500 acres needed for conventional small arms practice firing ranges.

"Apart from less land, baffle ranges use a system of ground barriers, side-walls, baffle walls and stop-***** to stop or trap misdirected or ricocheting bullets. They can prevent casualties and accidents due to stray bullets,'' said an officer.

There are a few baffle ranges in places like Bangalore and Chandimandir, constructed by the Terminal Ballistic Research Laboratory, but the plan is to go in for them across the country, including the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The Army is also battling a shortage in larger ranges like field-firing ranges (FFRs) and manoeuvre ranges to train soldiers for use of heavier weapons.

Of the 104 FFR ranges it once had, it is now left with only 66. ``With notifications of many ranges steadily expiring, it becomes extremely tough to get re-notification due to environmental laws and safety concerns,'' said another officer.

The force also wants to establish long-range FFRs to practice the use of artillery guns and rockets with a range up to 90 km. For division-level exercises of battle-groups, it is banking upon two new ``manoeuvre ranges'' at Shahgarh (Rajasthan) and Narayanpur (Chhattisgarh) - the latter is located in the middle of a Maoist stronghold.

Similarly, as earlier reported by TOI, IAF is also finding it tough for its fighters to practice air-to-ground bombing in at least four of its seven ranges - Dolland Mukh Range (Assam), Tilpat Range (UP), Singpur Range (Gujarat) and Sarmat Range (Madhya Pradesh) - due to spurt in civilian air traffic and urbanization around these areas.

India provides training facilities to armed forces of some countries like Singapore, where land and airspace is a scarce commodity. For instance, Singapore's mechanized and artillery forces train at Babina and Deolali ranges, while its fighters exercise at West Bengal's Kalaikunda airbase.

Army to set up 72 ranges to train sharpshooters - The Times of India

:sniper:

No point , china always wins at sport :/

have you forgotten abhinav bindra with specs beating a chinese without proper vision at the olympics,Lt. Col Rajyavardhan Rathore winning silver in athens in trap shooting which is a very hard event

Maybe we'll see India at the World Sniper Cup next year.

Police and Military Sniper World Cup
Mate get some knowledge about all this,no army will send it's Special Forces to such competitions as SF and elite Counter Terrorism units like GSG 9,GIGN,EKO COBRA,NSG,Zarrar Coy. to such competitions as they are strategic assets.

look at the participant list the UK itself is sending no army sniper team only police teams are going.

US army has its own sniper comp. at fort benning,fort bragg where snipers from delta force,seal team six,green berets,rangers,SEAL's,marine corps,FBI etc . come and compete the SOF's win most of the time.Sometimes Foreign teams come in too.

and to remind you Indian SF came 1st and 2nd in ABU airborne africa where only SF units were allowed and yeah even the SSG was there,though there was no SAS,US SF team there IIRC.No offence to the SSG they are a great SF unit in my books.

Mate get some knowledge about all this,no army will send it's Special Forces to such competitions as SF and elite Counter Terrorism units like GSG 9,GIGN,EKO COBRA,NSG,Zarrar Coy. to such competitions as they are strategic assets.

look at the participant list the UK itself is sending no army sniper team only police teams are going.

US army has its own sniper comp. at fort benning,fort bragg where snipers from delta force,seal team six,green berets,rangers,SEAL's,marine corps,FBI etc . come and compete the SOF's win most of the time.Sometimes Foreign teams come in too.

and to remind you Indian SF came 1st and 2nd in ABU airborne africa where only SF units were allowed and yeah even the SSG was there,though there was no SAS,US SF team there IIRC.No offence to the SSG they are a great SF unit in my books.

First time I've seen someone make excuses for their country before they compete in something.

Have a little faith.

SWAT snipers are no match for GSG-9,GIGN,EKO COBRA snipers even green berets agree to that.

i wouldnt say the same for SEAL's all members of SEAL teams,SEAL team 6(DEVGRU),marines receive training at the US Marine Corps scout sniper school as it is the best in the US.Marine Scout snipers can match the best SF snipers ,even the snipers at the US DOE nuclear sites have on ocassions beaten snipers of Delta Force and Team 6.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

First time I've seen someone make excuses for their country before they compete in something.

Have a little faith.

And here i see someone who couldn't interpret my post,i am not making any excuses i am teaching you standard protocol that military units use when it comes to competing in competitions.

We urgently need more sharp-shooters , sniper regiments ...and most of all in our para-military , the ones engaged in fighting with Maoists and other domestic insurgencies .

environment clearance :hitwall:

The Army is also battling a shortage in larger ranges like field-firing ranges (FFRs) and manoeuvre ranges to train soldiers for use of heavier weapons.

The force also wants to establish long-range FFRs to practice the use of artillery guns and rockets with a range up to 90 km.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom