What's new

Are Multi role aircraft suitable for CAS operation ?

bubble123

Reaction score
Though i don't agree with everything the author says nevertheless a good read.

Grande Strategy

In the end the author gives a very good blue print on what should be a cheap CAS aircraft.

My question is with the specs the author gave how much would this aircraft cost. It would certainly cheaper than the 22 million dollar apache would it be ?

Though i don't agree with everything the author says nevertheless a good read.

Grande Strategy

In the end the author gives a very good blue print on what should be a cheap CAS aircraft.

My question is with the specs the author gave how much would this aircraft cost. It would certainly cheaper than the 22 million dollar apache would it be ?
Unclear how he wants this thing to take off and land vertically. Except it it reminds old US OV-10 Bronco.

Unclear how he wants this thing to take off and land vertically. Except it it reminds old US OV-10 Bronco.

Of course there are tons of confusion and self contradiction. What i wanted to discuss was the main theme.

A cheap armored tank in the sky.

That's why i asked with the specs given how much an aircraft(eastern standards) would cost ?

Of course there are tons of confusion and self contradiction. What i wanted to discuss was the main theme.

A cheap armored tank in the sky.

That's why i asked with the specs given how much an aircraft(eastern standards) would cost ?

Mil Mi-24? :what:

Su-25

eastern standards

US 11 $ million

su-25t%20002.jpg

hmm at 11 million its not much of a cost saving over thunder. If we are able to product something in the range of 2-3 million(yes i know big lol) then it can be feasible.

another question from knowledgeable members here.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using A-10 versus say an Apache in CAS ?

Who do u think is more suitable for CAS operations under say heave SAM fire ?

And in general which is more useful the helicopter or the slow moving armored giant.

another question from knowledgeable members here.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using A-10 versus say an Apache in CAS ?

Who do u think is more suitable for CAS operations under say heave SAM fire ?

And in general which is more useful the helicopter or the slow moving armored giant.

A helicopter can loiter in the war zone for considerable amount of time, and can provide heave fire support from above. But they are very vulnerable to shoulder fired SAMs.

But when you need to drop LGBs or dumb bombs on enemy installations or hideouts, then you go for close air support aircrafts. It can fly at a height where it can stay safe from shoulder fired SAMs. But they cant loiter in a zone for long enough.

generally, before sending helicopters, one needs to clear the area from considerable threats with CAS aircraft.

A helicopter can loiter in the war zone for considerable amount of time, and can provide heave fire support from above. But they are very vulnerable to shoulder fired SAMs.

But when you need to drop LGBs or dumb bombs on enemy installations or hideouts, then you go for close air support aircrafts. It can fly at a height where it can stay safe from shoulder fired SAMs. But they cant loiter in a zone for long enough.

generally, before sending helicopters, one needs to clear the area from considerable threats with CAS aircraft.

Yaar i was just asking because combat helicopters are just damn expensive these days. Ur tenders for Apache i mean look at that 22 million fuking unbelievable u can get a thunder for that much money.

UAVs are the ultimate solution for i guess.

Another thing in the scenario of Indo-Pak india will probably sending battle groups inside Pakistan for offence and Pakistan would be primarily on defence.

Because of defense we would have fortification and such stuff.Does india has dedicated CAS aircraft to knock out these fortifications ? Because if we purchase something like TOR ur apches would be very vulnerable provided that PAF is able to maintain clear skies over Pakistan.

Yaar i was just asking because combat helicopters are just damn expensive these days. Ur tenders for Apache i mean look at that 22 million fuking unbelievable u can get a thunder for that much money.
UAVs are the ultimate solution for i guess.

From my point of view, a CAS aircraft should have these features.

1. High resolution ground mapping radar and targeting pod.
2. STOL capability.
3. Ease of flying and maintenance.
4. Speeds ranging from 400 kmph - mach 1.2
5. Higher thrust engine for more payload.

Another thing in the scenario of Indo-Pak india will probably sending battle groups inside Pakistan for offence and Pakistan would be primarily on defence.

Because of defense we would have fortification and such stuff.Does india has dedicated CAS aircraft to knock out these fortifications ? Because if we purchase something like TOR ur apches would be very vulnerable provided that PAF is able to maintain clear skies over Pakistan.

Before going to CAS missions, India will attack fortifications, communication centers and radar installations through missiles like Brahmos, Agni I & II. Followed by SEAD missions by MMRCA fighters or Mirages, then followed heavy strikes by MKIs.

You don't need any separate fighter for CAS missions, even any trainers like BAE Hawks can do that. Its just a type of mission where you support your ground troops by heavy bombing and fire support from above.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

We have Sepecat Jaguar and Mig-27 for that role specifically.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom