Bang Galore

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Answering a call to lead in Pakistan

BU environmentalist to take job in Lahore

539w.jpg

Adil Najam, with his wife, Huma, in their Boxborough home. The family is relocating to Pakistan. (Suzanne Kreiter/ Globe Staff)

Since leaving Pakistan nearly two decades ago to study engineering at MIT, Adil Najam has taught at some of Boston’s best universities, served on the international climate council that won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, and made a comfortable suburban life with his wife and three children in Boxborough.

But this past weekend, Najam and his family returned to his native country, a nation plagued with terrorism, poverty, and corruption, and where anti-American sentiment runs high.

Najam will be the new vice chancellor of Lahore University of Management Sciences, deemed by many Pakistanis to be the nation’s top incubator of future leaders.

“With the whole world having given up on Pakistan, it has become difficult to stand on the sidelines and see the country falling apart,’’ said Najam, who has been head of Boston University’s Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future since 2007. “I am not arrogant enough to assume that I can turn the country around, but at least I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I tried whatever little I could - in my case by applying the so many wonderful things I have learned in the US.’’

It isn’t the first time that Najam, 46, walked away from success.

In Pakistan he was a national figure, first as the 20-something host of the talk show “Special Guest,’’ where he bantered with national icons such as cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, and later as an environmental engineer tapped by the Pakistani government to help draft the nation’s first environmental policy.

Perhaps his biggest environmental achievement was as a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which wrote assessments of how nations were dealing with climate change and was awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize for improving public knowledge of climate change.

Malik Khan, president of the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland, of which Najam was a member, said Pakistan needs leaders like Najam, but he will be missed here. Najam is a role model for young Pakistani Americans, he said, and an articulate spokesman whose calm demeanor counters stereotypical images of Muslims and Pakistanis.

“His going there is a loss for the community,’’ said Khan.

Pakistan faces overwhelming challenges. About half the population is illiterate and many people have no access to clean drinking water or toilet facilities. Parts of Pakistan are controlled by the Taliban and other extremist groups that since 2001 have killed thousands of people in terrorist attacks, including dozens in Lahore, the country’s cultural capital.

US-Pakistan relations are considered to be at an all-time low, a plunge attributed largely to American concerns that Pakistan may have sheltered Osama bin Laden before he was killed in May by Navy SEALs and Pakistani anger over that raid, which was carried out without informing government officials.

But Pakistan’s problems are the main attraction for Najam.

“If things were better [there], I probably would have stayed’’ in the United States, said Najam. “It’s just that there are times when you need to be close. And I think this is the time.’’

As the leader of a prestigious university, Najam said, he will have a chance to influence how the nation’s future leaders think and see the world.

“There is no better way to shape Pakistan’s future than at a university, and many of the people who are going to shape tomorrow’s Pakistan are at that place,’’ he said.

The Lahore university is competitive with Western counterparts when it comes to teaching engineering, science, and other technical expertise, said Najam, but what its students need are civic spirit, community pride, and a sense of optimism.

“Universities don’t build just engineers and doctors and scientists, they build citizens. And that’s what Pakistan needs to build,’’ said Najam.

He was inspired by his experience in Massachusetts, he said, the spirit of the myriad student organizations at the universities where he taught, the involvement of universities in community life, and the philanthropy of alumni donors.

Najam had lived in Boston longer than anywhere else. His father, after 2 1/2 years as a prisoner of war in Bangladesh in the early 1970s, worked in the Pakistani civil service, which meant frequent moves. Najam had attended nine schools by the time he graduated from high school.

As a Muslim familiar with America and Pakistan, Najam believes he can be a bridge between the two countries and that the best way to improve relations is to talk less about terrorism and more about ordinary life.

“Pakistanis talk about cricket, Americans talk about barbecue, and I think it’s that three-dimensionality that we need to bring back into the conversation,’’ said Najam.

A frequent guest on major news outlets such as CNN and NPR, and the voice behind ALL THINGS PAKISTAN, a popular website on Pakistani news and culture, Najam expresses opinions that are well known to the country’s officials - including his belief that the Pakistani government has to do more to fight corruption and religious extremism while improving transparency. And he intends to continue to be an active commentator on Pakistani politics and international affairs.

Najam and his wife, Huma, said the difficult decision to leave was taken only after many months of discussion and reconnaissance visits to Lahore, and to what will be the family’s new home on the university’s campus.

The biggest worries concerned whether their three children - Musa, 14, Amineh, 10, and Eesa, 8 - would be safe and how they would respond to leaving friends.

“It’s one thing to do something to your own life, it’s another thing to do something to your children’s life, especially at those ages,’’ Najam said.

He acknowledged the risks of living in Pakistan but asserted that with common sense and caution, they aren’t greater than in other countries. His children have more to gain than lose, he said.

Najam’s children were all born in America - the oldest on July 4 - and are “very rooted’’ in their American identities, Najam said. At the same time, they are ready to embrace their Pakistani heritage.

“I think they will learn what Pakistan is, and I hope they will manage it as well as they’ve learned to be a Pakistani in America,’’ said Najam. “Growing up Muslim in America, that’s not easy.’’

Huma looks forward to the children learning Urdu and immersing in the culture. The couple hope to enroll Musa in the Lahore American School and are exploring schools for the younger children.

“It’s a wonderful country,’’ she said. “It has a lot to offer.’’

Najam expects to visit Boston frequently and said he may even live in the Hub once again. “I don’t think we live in the era of long goodbyes,’’ he said.

He thinks the perspective of distance and a different culture will put a sharp lens on his experience in this country as well.

“Being a Pakistani in America made me recognize and understand Pakistan much better and much deeper [than] before I came to the US,’’ he said. “And I am sure that going back to Lahore is going to make me understand my American journey much better than I have in the last 20 years.’’

BU environmentalist returns to native Pakistan - The Boston Globe

When we were school going children Adil Najam used to do some programs on PTV a highly talented and above all he is extremely Patriotic Pakistani.

He had been running that fantastic blog All Things About Pakistan ( i guess it was rolled back recently :(]

Good to know that he is coming back to serve his motherland.

he will corrupt the fresh minds surely telling students how much americans love Pakistan this and that blah blah and other bullshyt

Answering a call to lead in Pakistan

BU environmentalist to take job in Lahore

539w.jpg

Adil Najam, with his wife, Huma, in their Boxborough home. The family is relocating to Pakistan. (Suzanne Kreiter/ Globe Staff)

Since leaving Pakistan nearly two decades ago to study engineering at MIT, Adil Najam has taught at some of Boston’s best universities, served on the international climate council that won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, and made a comfortable suburban life with his wife and three children in Boxborough.

But this past weekend, Najam and his family returned to his native country, a nation plagued with terrorism, poverty, and corruption, and where anti-American sentiment runs high.

Najam will be the new vice chancellor of Lahore University of Management Sciences, deemed by many Pakistanis to be the nation’s top incubator of future leaders.

“With the whole world having given up on Pakistan, it has become difficult to stand on the sidelines and see the country falling apart,’’ said Najam, who has been head of Boston University’s Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future since 2007. “I am not arrogant enough to assume that I can turn the country around, but at least I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I tried whatever little I could - in my case by applying the so many wonderful things I have learned in the US.’’

It isn’t the first time that Najam, 46, walked away from success.

In Pakistan he was a national figure, first as the 20-something host of the talk show “Special Guest,’’ where he bantered with national icons such as cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, and later as an environmental engineer tapped by the Pakistani government to help draft the nation’s first environmental policy.

Perhaps his biggest environmental achievement was as a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which wrote assessments of how nations were dealing with climate change and was awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize for improving public knowledge of climate change.

Malik Khan, president of the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland, of which Najam was a member, said Pakistan needs leaders like Najam, but he will be missed here. Najam is a role model for young Pakistani Americans, he said, and an articulate spokesman whose calm demeanor counters stereotypical images of Muslims and Pakistanis.

“His going there is a loss for the community,’’ said Khan.

Pakistan faces overwhelming challenges. About half the population is illiterate and many people have no access to clean drinking water or toilet facilities. Parts of Pakistan are controlled by the Taliban and other extremist groups that since 2001 have killed thousands of people in terrorist attacks, including dozens in Lahore, the country’s cultural capital.

US-Pakistan relations are considered to be at an all-time low, a plunge attributed largely to American concerns that Pakistan may have sheltered Osama bin Laden before he was killed in May by Navy SEALs and Pakistani anger over that raid, which was carried out without informing government officials.

But Pakistan’s problems are the main attraction for Najam.

“If things were better [there], I probably would have stayed’’ in the United States, said Najam. “It’s just that there are times when you need to be close. And I think this is the time.’’

As the leader of a prestigious university, Najam said, he will have a chance to influence how the nation’s future leaders think and see the world.

“There is no better way to shape Pakistan’s future than at a university, and many of the people who are going to shape tomorrow’s Pakistan are at that place,’’ he said.

The Lahore university is competitive with Western counterparts when it comes to teaching engineering, science, and other technical expertise, said Najam, but what its students need are civic spirit, community pride, and a sense of optimism.

“Universities don’t build just engineers and doctors and scientists, they build citizens. And that’s what Pakistan needs to build,’’ said Najam.

He was inspired by his experience in Massachusetts, he said, the spirit of the myriad student organizations at the universities where he taught, the involvement of universities in community life, and the philanthropy of alumni donors.

Najam had lived in Boston longer than anywhere else. His father, after 2 1/2 years as a prisoner of war in Bangladesh in the early 1970s, worked in the Pakistani civil service, which meant frequent moves. Najam had attended nine schools by the time he graduated from high school.

As a Muslim familiar with America and Pakistan, Najam believes he can be a bridge between the two countries and that the best way to improve relations is to talk less about terrorism and more about ordinary life.

“Pakistanis talk about cricket, Americans talk about barbecue, and I think it’s that three-dimensionality that we need to bring back into the conversation,’’ said Najam.

A frequent guest on major news outlets such as CNN and NPR, and the voice behind ALL THINGS PAKISTAN, a popular website on Pakistani news and culture, Najam expresses opinions that are well known to the country’s officials - including his belief that the Pakistani government has to do more to fight corruption and religious extremism while improving transparency. And he intends to continue to be an active commentator on Pakistani politics and international affairs.

Najam and his wife, Huma, said the difficult decision to leave was taken only after many months of discussion and reconnaissance visits to Lahore, and to what will be the family’s new home on the university’s campus.

The biggest worries concerned whether their three children - Musa, 14, Amineh, 10, and Eesa, 8 - would be safe and how they would respond to leaving friends.

“It’s one thing to do something to your own life, it’s another thing to do something to your children’s life, especially at those ages,’’ Najam said.

He acknowledged the risks of living in Pakistan but asserted that with common sense and caution, they aren’t greater than in other countries. His children have more to gain than lose, he said.

Najam’s children were all born in America - the oldest on July 4 - and are “very rooted’’ in their American identities, Najam said. At the same time, they are ready to embrace their Pakistani heritage.

“I think they will learn what Pakistan is, and I hope they will manage it as well as they’ve learned to be a Pakistani in America,’’ said Najam. “Growing up Muslim in America, that’s not easy.’’

Huma looks forward to the children learning Urdu and immersing in the culture. The couple hope to enroll Musa in the Lahore American School and are exploring schools for the younger children.

“It’s a wonderful country,’’ she said. “It has a lot to offer.’’

Najam expects to visit Boston frequently and said he may even live in the Hub once again. “I don’t think we live in the era of long goodbyes,’’ he said.

He thinks the perspective of distance and a different culture will put a sharp lens on his experience in this country as well.

“Being a Pakistani in America made me recognize and understand Pakistan much better and much deeper [than] before I came to the US,’’ he said. “And I am sure that going back to Lahore is going to make me understand my American journey much better than I have in the last 20 years.’’

BU environmentalist returns to native Pakistan - The Boston Globe

The bolded part is what matters. If everybody chips in with his part, something can happen.

he will corrupt the fresh minds surely telling students how much americans love Pakistan this and that blah blah and other bullshyt

Stay positive, and think positive, negative thinking has brought us here. Appreciate the effort, and encourage others who have the love for their motherland.

don`t mix patriotism with skepticism. if he wants to play his part then we must at least try to imitate him rather then jump to oppose and over analyse things.

Well done Adil Najam, hope some others will take the leaf out of your book and do their bit. And i Pray that Allah blesses me with an opportunity to do mine.

It's not easy to move from abroad to Pakistan specially now that the situation is very bad in Pakistan.So I salute him for coming back.

yes sir i salute him to but what if he is on payroll of americans...to corrupt the minds of future generations?dont u think he should be interviewed first by federal govt officers first..some sort of quiz to determine his aspirations and intent

yes sir i salute him to but what if he is on payroll of americans...to corrupt the minds of future generations?dont u think he should be interviewed first by federal govt officers first..some sort of quiz to determine his aspirations and intent
And how do you know he is on American Payroll?Every Liberal or Secularist is not American Agent man - Widen your mind please.You can't question others patriotism just because they are liberal or secular.They are just equally patriotic.

While you sit and stare at this forum, that guy will come here and do what he thinks is right. The bullshit is all around that computer screen of yours, just piling up. Enjoy your stay.

And how do you know he is on American Payroll?Every Liberal or Secularist is not American Agent man - Widen your mind please.You can't question others patriotism just because they are liberal or secular.They are just equally patriotic.

sir we are going through tough time...you know contractors are coming and killing our citizens..so we should be pre emptive..not questioning his intention and motive but since he is coming after 20 years a little quiz by federal law enforcement agency would do no harm or a lie detector test....young minds can be easily manipulated so we need to see ...it in public interest...we all pay if some shyt goes wrong so we are all stake holders as Pakistanis and have every right to question something suspicious....i own this country so i will ask whatever i feel is better for my country;s well being

salute to this guy really respect for the fact that he wishes to leave everything to come and fix his father land! we need more people like him! Adil Najam sahab i salute you & may Allah help you

dont rant kid...i am serving my country by identifying potential secular fanatics who might be having some agenda to corrupt fresh Pakistani minds and make them pro war criminal americano

How are the English treating ya mister? Having fun talking against the same people you pay your taxes to? What good are your words when the same money you give to them is being used to fuel your conspiracy theories? Come on home buddy and talk your mighty large game without running your fingers through that beard and farting in your seat.

Back
Top Bottom