What's new

An interesting 20 minute long documentary about Asir province (KSA): Sand in an Hourglass (MUST WATC

More of Abha and Asir:

C2J8AFkXEAMzGkq.jpg:large

C2LUf5ZW8AE7lME.jpg:large

C1jG0DhXUAAtwYB.jpg:large

C1_J0jLWgAE8_TQ.jpg:large

C1yXzcgXAAA-R6a.jpg:large

C1cGH6kXgAEK0Iq.jpg:large

jebal5.jpg

beautiful

Thank you.

What has happened to your profile picture and flag?o_O

800,000 flowers decorate Abha, Arab world’s capital of tourism
cc6550e6-211c-4ad8-86e8-79b42a7545e2_16x9_788x442.jpg

Staff writer, Al Arabiya.net
Tuesday, 14 February 2017

A carpet of 800 thousand unique flowers is decorating Saudi Arabia’s city of Abha in a bid to attract Arab tourists.

The flowers assembled in different shapes and sizes are spread over 26 thousand square meters.

The carpet introduces the city’s tourism slogan for 2017 , “Abha the capital of Arab tourism,” an official working on the project told Al Arabiya.net.

The city also created a dancing fountain that is 15 meters in diameter, and will shoot water up to 12 meters into the air.

Abha is the capital of Saudi Arabia's Asir province known for its mild climate, which makes it a popular tourist destination for Saudis.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/lif...te-Abha-Arab-world-s-capital-of-tourism-.html

C452eTqVYAAGezZ.jpg:large

C49Q3Y8XUAUdn-D.jpg:large

C5m4k8jWgAElCbE.jpg:large

C5m4k7-WQAEbn9v.jpg:large

C49QzvBWIAAG3k8.jpg:large

C49QzvCWAAA4WbY.jpg:large

Traditional dress:

C5c4PN6WQAAzYMa.jpg:large

I always had a weakness for the traditional dresses of the South.

Anyway when will the conservative lot in our country understand that once the country opens up the country and those same conservatives would gain economically from this as well. Jobs would be created and it would be another step toward social, economic and political reforms that are necessary to put it mildly. It would also boost the reputation of KSA greatly as it is a very misunderstood country. In fact one of the best stories not yet told on quite a few fronts as other commentators (non-Saudis and non-Arabs) have spoken about.

This is even more absurd given the fact that most Saudi Arabians, Arabians and Arabs as a whole value hospitality greatly. Everyone with any historical knowledge knows this fact. For instance the hospitality of Bedouins have been immortalized in literature since ancient times, poetry and modern-day movies.

We also know that many ordinary Saudi Arabians and Arabs for that matter despise the ignorance that many observes display about them.

If you like KSA, for much of the modern history, has kept to yourself and only invited/interacted whenever necessary it cannot be any differently.

A healthy balance between reforms and opening up and keeping the good traditions alive must be found.

I have not even talked about the religious aspect or the conservatives who do not want to negotiate about certain rules (moronic in my eyes) that they claim are from Islam while this is debatable even within their own circles.

It's all a shame and a waste of potential but this is the main theme of our region of late. That and senseless conflicts in the wider picture.

Anyway hopefully a lot of tourists will visit Abha and the Asir region so this often forgotten, yet incredibly beautiful region, can gain some spotlight.

Abha celebrates ‘Capital of Arab Tourism’ title

April 20, 2017

Emir of Asir Prince Faisal Bin Khalid and Chairman of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) Prince Sultan Bin Salman talk to the kin of Saudi martyrs during celebrations marking the selection of Abha as the capital of Arab tourism Tuesday night. — Courtesy Al-Watan​

Saudi Gazette report

ABHA — Emir of Asir Prince Faisal Bin Khalid on Tuesday evening launched the celebrations marking the selection of Abha as the capital of Arab tourism for the year 2017. The prince said Abha obtained the status as a result of 10 years of hard work and concerted efforts.

Chairman of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) Prince Sultan Bin Salman, Chairman of the Arab Organization of Tourism Bandar Al-Fihaid, a number of Arab ministers of tourism, diplomats, journalists and men of letters attended the celebrations, which were held at the Dam Lake.

In his inaugural speech, Prince Faisal said Abha had been working hard to deserve the title of the Arab tourism capital.

“We have made great efforts and established committees to work toward making Abha the capital of Arab tourism, a title which it really deserves,” he said.

The emir also opened an exhibition being held on the occasion in which more than 20 government and private departments are participating.

Among others, the exhibitors included the Ministry of Defense, King Khalid University, the region’s police, a number of chambers of commerce and industry, the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) and the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance.

During the celebrations, the SCTH signed cooperation agreements with Bisha University and the Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC).
The attendants watched a theatrical show titled “A Child’s Dream”, which projected Abha’s rich natural sceneries.

Famous Saudi singer Abbadi Al-Jouhar presented a number of songs, including one specially written for Abha.

Fireworks brightened up the skies of Abha as part of the celebrations.
In a separate development, King Khalid University and the Abha Chamber of Commerce an Industry together launched the first career day, which will continue for three days.

As many as 35 private companies and establishments will be offering job opportunities for job seekers during the fair.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/abha-celebrates-capital-arab-tourism-title/

Well-deserved. Abha is a pearl and one of the highest elevated cities not only in the Middle East but actually the world (2400 meters above sea level). It also has one of the most pleasant climates in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abha#Geography_and_climate

Some incredible videos;

Once KSA opens up for mass-tourism (question of time and soon and when I say soon I mean soon), I am afraid that such areas of KSA will be flooded by millions of tourists. Religious tourists (Hajj and Umrah) alone who want to spend an extra week or two in KSA.

So I believe that we locals should enjoy the relative tranquility (outside of the domestic tourists seasons) while it lasts.

@The SC

Some amazing videos out there of late on Youtube and other media from all across KSA. Not sure if this is a calculated move here "moments" before the "show" (real tourism sector) begins.:lol: Not complaining though!

Some incredible videos;

Once KSA opens up for mass-tourism (question of time and soon and when I say soon I mean soon), I am afraid that such areas of KSA will be flooded by millions of tourists. Religious tourists (Hajj and Umrah) alone who want to spend an extra week or two in KSA.

So I believe that we locals should enjoy the relative tranquility (outside of the domestic tourists seasons) while it lasts.

@The SC

Some amazing videos out there of late on Youtube and other media from all across KSA. Not sure if this is a calculated move here "moments" before the "show" (real tourism sector) begins.:lol: Not complaining though!
It is not for nothing that MBS is insisting this much on developing this sector .. the economic potential is huge, be it through locals, religious tourism +, or Just tourists from around the world..the international experience will certainly be enhanced by all the newly discovered old historical sites, the new tourist cities and world class facilities on the red sea coast and the original breath taking nature of KSA on its own..

It is not for nothing that MBS is insisting this much on developing this sector .. the economic potential is huge, be it through locals, religious tourism +, or Just tourists from around the world..the international experience will certainly be enhanced by all the newly discovered old historical sites, the new tourist cities and world class facilities on the red sea coast and the original breath taking nature of KSA on its own..

Definitely. What I am hoping for is sustainable tourism that will become a mixture of religious tourism (Hajj and Umrah), the many historical sites, the many sites that the nature and geography of KSA offers and other forms of tourism. I would hate to see mass-tourism or areas of KSA (some time in the future) turning into beach resorts frequented by the worst behaved tourist classes out there as in certain regional countries (certain destinations in those countries).

The key should be to strengthen the tourism sector in a way that does not harm the nature (as is being done currently by expanding national parks and the many protected areas - largest in the region in terms of size and planting millions of trees) or local life. Rest will come by itself and locals (famous for their well-known Arabian hospitality) will do the rest as well as needed infrastructural additions to cater for tourists, domestic as well as foreign.

Another bonus of course is the economic element (job creation etc.) and positive publicity. Already mostly see very positive articles in the media worldwide whenever KSA's history, landscapes and nature is described. As a contrast to the political aspect, especially pre-King Salman/MbS reforms.

Gotta go. Take care bro.

Definitely. What I am hoping for is sustainable tourism that will become a mixture of religious tourism (Hajj and Umrah), the many historical sites, the many sites that the nature and geography of KSA offers and other forms of tourism. I would hate to see mass-tourism or areas of KSA (some time in the future) turning into beach resorts frequented by the worst behaved tourist classes out there as in certain regional countries (certain destinations in those countries).

The key should be to strengthen the tourism sector in a way that does not harm the nature (as is being done currently by expanding national parks and the many protected areas - largest in the region in terms of size and planting millions of trees) or local life. Rest will come by itself and locals (famous for their well-known Arabian hospitality) will do the rest as well as needed infrastructural additions to cater for tourists, domestic as well as foreign.

Another bonus of course is the economic element (job creation etc.) and positive publicity. Already mostly see very positive articles in the media worldwide whenever KSA's history, landscapes and nature is described. As a contrast to the political aspect, especially pre-King Salman/MbS reforms.

Gotta go. Take care bro.
Hajj bro..is a very limited seasonal tourism type.. although very big.. it won't compare to the coming tourism around the year and around the clock.. and I guess that is one of the reasons Saudi Arabia is building this huge infrastructure all over the country.. this will include the local tourism that will generate between $15 and $20 billion a year on its own..maybe more.. while the international tourism might well exceed the $40 billion mark.. add Hajj to it and the picture of this sector becomes clearer as far as economic development is concerned..BTW this is just one sector among many others, not less important or beneficial..

Last edited:
Hajj bro..is a very limited seasonal tourism type.. although very big.. it won;t compare to the coming tourism around the year and around the clock.. and I guess that is why Saudi Arabia is building this huge infrastructure all over the country.. this will include the local tourism that will generate between $15 and $20 billion a year on its own.. while the international tourism might well exceed the $40 billion as mark.. add Hajj to it ad the picture of this sector becomes clearer as far as economic development is concerned..BTW this is just one sector among many others, not less important or beneficial..

Yes, Hajj occurs during a specific period each year but Umrah is 24/7 business all year round. So I just group it together and call it religious tourism.

Definitely.

As brother @Gasoline wrote earlier in this thread, billions upon billions of dollars (yearly) can be gained from creating a real tourism industry that will not only cater to foreign tourists but domestic alike.

Nowadays there is a discrepancy between the existing tourist infrastructure, the price (for a tourism to enjoy it) and what can be offered abroad, hence why most Saudi Arabians prefer to go to neighboring countries or all corners of the world as transportation might be more expensive but services tend to be better and not much more expensive if more expensive at all.

Obviously such issues would be solved if what is planned will take place and I fully believe that it of course will as a vibrant tourist sector in KSA is not a question of if but when.

However personally, while I support this move, I hope that it will be the form of tourism that I described earlier.

BTW bro, check this video out.

Paradise.

Yes, Hajj occurs during a specific period each year but Umrah is 24/7 business all year round. So I just group it together and call it religious tourism.

Definitely.

As brother @Gasoline wrote earlier in this thread, billions upon billions of dollars (yearly) can be gained from creating a real tourism industry that will not only cater to foreign tourists but domestic alike.

Nowadays there is a discrepancy between the existing tourist infrastructure, the price (for a tourism to enjoy it) and what can be offered abroad, hence why most Saudi Arabians prefer to go to neighboring countries or all corners of the world as transportation might be more expensive but services tend to be better and not much more expensive if more expensive at all.

Obviously such issues would be solved if what is planned will take place and I fully believe that it of course will as a vibrant tourist sector in KSA is not a question of if but when.

However personally, while I support this move, I hope that it will be the form of tourism that I described earlier.

BTW bro, check this video out.

Paradise.
It will be a somehow controlled tourism as far as morality is concerned.. as MBS said.. for anyone who wants more freedom on the beach or alcohol, Egypt and Jordan's shores are not far away.. very close indeed..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom