What's new

An interesting 20 minute long documentary about Asir province (KSA): Sand in an Hourglass (MUST WATC

Saif al-Arab

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia

"As Saudi Arabia marches towards modernity it is quickly losing one of the oldest and most vibrant parts of its history and culture. Globalization has slowly exerted its pull on the 100-year-old country and the tribal communities in the Southwest have paid the price, with many towns becoming almost devoid of anyone not in their late 80's. This documentary looks at what could happen in the next 20 years from the point of view of people trying to conserve their own culture in Asir."

Watch and enjoy.

Last edited:
That's very interesting documentary and I see how painful these people are, I hope this situation changes for the better and hopefully the Gov brings more opportunities to the southern side of our country like building forcing companies to build their factories there instead of building almost all the giant factories in Jeddah and Eastern Province. I've been to these places Abha, Khamis Mushiat, Alnamas and Tanomah many times and I'd like to visit them again.

14958017396_df99d00b03_b.jpg

14980655472_7a7e222bd3_b.jpg

14285083466_d774d0e4b8_b.jpg

14121567058_dc90261774_b.jpg

@alarabi

I became very sentimental when I watched it and questioned whether this current society with all its technology is so a great thing. Obviously we as humans have lost a lot by abandoning old BENEFICIAL traditions. Especially the community feeling and living in accordance to nature. Sometimes I question myself whether this hectic life is something I want to have forever. I think it would be good for most people today, especially us young people, to live in such an environment for 1 month or so. I think that many people would change for the better. Especially in the GCC.

The conclusion is that we must never abandon our ancient culture especially not to please outsiders in the process.

Also I know those regions very well too.

In general Hijaz and the South is arguably one of the most beautiful and interesting areas of not only KSA but MENA and West Asia. You have everything. A tropical and one of the most beautiful coastlines along the Red Sea, amazing mountains, nature, fertile lands, desert in the far east, amazing architecture, great food and most importantly a hospitality that I have seen in few places in my life.

Some photos:

f59f39ea0fe2022993573d22d2b943ee_w950_h950.jpg

066f26a1d2fd7376da8f47288cef98bf_w570_h0.jpg

CgjAgklWkAAcGiT.jpg:large

CeKnTNrW4AAAfIv.jpg:large

CeeylOfWIAAp4bF.jpg:large

إطلالة على قرية ذي عين الأثرية - الباحة
by Jawad Roumi جواد الرومي, on Flickr

fe9f56e6bebbc518e69257cc900b05ba-jpg.142614

Last edited:
Continued:

f59f39ea0fe2022993573d22d2b943ee_w950_h950.jpg

8fc4f704d5478e82dc897293f593a431_w950_h1250.jpg

8f4adf3da2b4965f83f441a2fad50918_w570_h650.jpg

87354ddb3b2cb95c92e88200f8087150_w570_h650.jpg

ca38972e677246e00791a96fa24e342f_w570_h650.jpg

CqBuji_WcAEeJVJ.jpg:large

CqBuji-WEAAFn-T.jpg:large

CqBuji0XgAEQuXl.jpg:large

Of course this is only a small part of Hijaz and Southern KSA as a whole. This region of KSA is almost bigger alone than 50% of all MENA countries let alone Muslim countries.

@alarabi as far as outsourcing this is a problem as it is done in the name of modernity and for what exactly? That 50% of all people of the country are trapped in two or 3-4 cities? Somehow this tendency must be prevented at all costs otherwise those regions will not be inhabited by people anymore in say 50 years, I am afraid.

I believe that much more infrastructure, learning centers and businesses should be outsourced to the countryside but obviously the youth are attracted to Riyadh, Jeddah, Makkah, Madinah, Hofuf, Ta'if, Dammam etc.

Also in the desert regions more should be done too. Countryside in the North and Najd. Maybe new societies should be formed with people who share the same ideal of living along with nature and not necessary a hectic life 24/7.

Last edited:
@alarabi

People have wondered why I put so much emphasis on agriculture and farming in KSA and why I speak about helping farmers and communities that rely on farming. Simply because not only is it a beneficial and sensible thing to do (self-sufficiency) but also because most farmlands (naturally) are located in the countryside and thus a vibrant agricultural sector ensures that people, at least a significant portion, will remain in the countryside. Also investments from the outside and businesses related to agriculture can pour in.

Another important thing that I talk about much in KSA with family, friends or even on social media is the tourism sector. If KSA for once kickstarted a real tourism sector (we only need to look at neighboring GCC to see how we can do that without losing ourselves in the process). This would be another livelihood for people in the countryside.

Agricultural tourism especially.

Agricultural Tourism
Agricultural Tourism, or Agro-tourism, is a popular form of tourist activity that combines the rural world of farming with tourist travel to create a unique vacation experience. With Agro-Tourism, travelers have the opportunity to visit and even stay at country farms and participate in daily farming activities.

saudicountryside.jpg

Saudi Countryside

Tourists are free to choose the duration of their stay at any of the breathtaking farms that specialize in rural tourism. During their stay, visitors can take part in agricultural chores such as harvesting crops, experiencing the customs of the rural and agricultural community and participating in local folklore. They can also enjoy the opportunity to buy fresh farm produce for a good price, whether be it meat, crops, crafts, souvenirs or items made or picked by the tourists themselves during their stay in the farm.

One of the best offers of rural tourism is its educational activities. Some farms are like mini-zoos and their owners take a special interest in raising animals and rare birds. Visiting families can learn many skills and gain much knowledge during their stay, such as how to grow and care for plants and trees, how to pick and store fruits and crops, how to prepare them for market, as well as taking care of the birds and animals. There are also many leisure activities, such as like trekking, riding bikes, mounting horses and mules, hunting or just relaxing and enjoying the bounty of nature.

Agro-tourism also offers activities outside the farm, like visiting adjacent historical towns and archaeological sites, wandering through seasonal markets, as well as participating in a variety of sports, such as hiking, biking, swimming, horseback riding, bird hunting, or just plain relaxing and enjoying in the beauty of Mother Nature.

selectafarm.jpg

How to select a farm?

When planning vacation on a farm, what may be most challenging is making a choice from the multitude of farms in your area. However, here are some guidelines that should be met when choosing a farm:

• The farm should be associated with a membership of agro-tourism
  • Availability of comfortable accommodation, paved sidewalks, lighting, water, and basic services on the site.
  • Availability of entertaining agricultural activities, such as participating in agricultural work, harvesting, and experiencing first-hand the rural traditions and customs.
  • Existence of distinct agricultural production process where tourists can see and learn the art of production and get an opportunity to buy the desired farm produce.
  • Availability of educational, recreational and sports activities that tourists can practice.

StayinginFarm.jpg

Staying on a Farm

Take a break, go away for a weekend and discover one of the huge farms available in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Planning a trip like this will definitely clear your head by taking you away from the noise, traffic and work. You can go to a farm during any time of the year, and enjoy free time and relaxation in the midst of the quiet rural atmosphere. It is a vacation experience unlike any other, filled with the unique experiences of being on a farm, such as taking part in major harvest seasons, and picking dates, olives, and oranges. Plus, you will be able to experience the traditions and customs practiced in the rural communities, partake in folklore and traditional heritage, and observe animals and birds in the wild.

http://www.sauditourism.sa/en/About/Pages/l-Rural.aspx

This is a interview on Omani TV and the man speaks a lot of sense. People should do the same in KSA where the potential is much bigger even.

Or this wonderful report from Al-Baha, Hijaz.

Anyway it is a lost struggle as the youth simply do not care. At least most of them. So I will continue to contact officials like others do and tell them about my plans on social media.

I wrote to SctaSa lately and they replied but again and again we see that much is just talk. Sadly Prince Sultan bin Salman Twitter is inactive and writing to him, I doubt will result in a answer.

https://twitter.com/SctaSa?lang=da

Anyway I believe that he is the man to change the situation as he has done an excellent job so far. I very much like him. A curiosity one of my sisters is a friend of his youngest daughter Sahar. Only good things to say.

Here is his webpage but it also seems inactive.

http://www.sultanbinsalman.sa/Pages...w.sultanbinsalman.sa/SitePages/PrinceCVs.aspx

Last edited:
@alarabi @Decisive Storm @Saudi Typhoon @ARABIC @الأعرابي @Bubblegum Crisis etc. etc. sorry for sounding like a broken record on this thread but this below is interesting and concerns the discussion.

It appears that KSA is the most urbanized nation in the Muslim world (I actually did not know that) excluding the small GCC states.

Data from 2015:

n33whe.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization

And as far as I can see there is no sign of this changing in the immediate future.

This is interesting

http://www.futuresaudicities.org

however I believe that the sole solution is to, as @alarabi rightly pointed out, to make the countryside attractive economically by outsourcing jobs and businesses to the countryside as it is done in some European countries and North America. North America and Europe as a whole are highly urbanized too.

Either that or naturally there will be a push back to the countryside once people get enough of the increasingly more and more hectic urban life which by each single day attracts more and more people.

Either that or allowing full scale, mostly Arab or Muslim migration (in the future give them citizenship) under the condition that they should re-inhabit the countryside, lol. Jokes aside, although there are still people everywhere in the countryside as was always the case, the numbers are dwindling and that is natural but we should not reach a point where this is irreversible. I fear that this might occur if something is not done although I of course cannot predict this with certainty. I doubt that anyone can.

Anyway I don't want to insult anyone but I do not understand why hordes (all kind of social classes) are so busy to move to the urban centers.

What is wrong with being a doctor in a smaller town or even a village or a lawyer or a engineer etc.? It can be done. Especially if the nature is great and the climate more pleasant throughout much of the year rather than Riyadh in the middle of the summer for instance. I know that the MENA region is a frying pan during the summer practically everywhere expect the mountainous regions in each country but you get the point here.

Anyway it is about attachment to the land you grew up in be it a village or town and the social network. The attachment can always be there but if everyone leaves expect the old generation I understand why the youth look for opportunities in the urban centers. Nowadays 8/10 of them do that but would it not be good if just 6/10 or 7/10 did so if the sufficient opportunities were given in say Asir? Talking about job centers, universities (decent ones), business centers, companies moving there and setting up their bases. I mean the labour is definitely cheaper outside of the urban centers and that won't change. I imagine that this would be a good thing for middle-sized companies.

Anyway it seems that this is not a pressing matter for many people. Better to engage in nonsense I suppose. The current world has truly lost a lot of good traditions and I say that as a person in my 20's (the younger side of it) who loves technology and science so I understand when people in their late 80's and early 90's say similar things.

In any case something should change and a solution should be found. Even if not a perfect solution. A better balance at least between urban areas and countryside.

Speaking about Asir province, this French documentary about the "flower men" who live in the mountains in Southern Asir almost completely isolated from the remaining world, is really amazing. Cool people.

Rijal Alma village in Asir:

Driving in nearby areas and the beautiful tropical (microclimate) nature:

More Asir:

A curiosity, in this region, among others in KSA, the very rare Arabian leopard can be found and in that region of KSA the last wild lion in Arabia was killed back in 1926. Either that or central Hijaz. Don't recall the exact region currently. Actually one can claim that Southern KSA as a whole is basically historical Southern Hijaz and extensions of it. I of course agree with this.

Last edited:
Speaking about hunting, as I wrote, the last wild lion in KSA (Arabia as a whole) was killed in 1926.

"A text that was written in the second century BC, over two thousand years ago, by Agatharchides of Cnidos reflects the Ancient Greek’s fascination with wild animals. Indeed, there was a flourishing trade in captive carnivores during the late Hellenistic period and subsequently during the height of the Roman Empire. Any lion or leopard unfortunate enough to be trapped in Arabia was quite likely to end up in a cage in Athens or Rome where they became objects of show or participants in some of the blood-spilling ‘games’ of the period. This interest in exotic wildlife resulted in several quite informative texts on Arabia’s wildlife at this time.

“The lions of Arabia”, wrote Agatharchides, “are less hairy and bolder. They are uniform in colour just are those in Babylonia. The sheen of their mane is such that the hair on the back of their neck gleams like gold. …the leopards are unlike those found in caria and Lycia. their bodies are large, and they are much better able to endure wounds and pain.
In strength, moreover, they surpass the others by as much as a wild animal does a domesticated one.”

https://snarla.wordpress.com/2007/08/

Many animals have become extinct in the Arabian Peninsula and the most famous one is the lion. Actually one can find rock art depicting lions all over Arabia. People also made statues of lions. In addition Arabs admired it so much that they called their children by the lions name.

Such as Assad, Hamza, Haydar, Laith, Wail, Sab', Najidh, Wa'il, Usama, Shibl etc. to name a few.

Arabs admired lions and its courage and many poems and much literature is a testament of this. Hunting lions was also a status symbol.

2dje7ts.jpg

arabattck.jpg
\

Lions shown on 10.000 old rock art in KSA.

mk43589_dsc07515.jpg

Africa - the homeland of the lion.

Theoretically speaking you could introduce wild lions to Yemen and parts of KSA since Ethiopia which has a somewhat similar fauna, landscapes, climate etc. and relatively close geographic proximity have wild lions.
But that would only be possible in very small amounts and probably only in national parks.

It would be wonderful if the lion returned to Arabia and Asir/Southern KSA/Southern Hijaz could be a good place to reintroduce lions into existing or new national parks.

If I were a billionaire I would do just that.

@f1000n and @Malik Alashter the last wild lion was killed in Iraq in 1918 (similar period in history) in lower Tigris (Southern Iraq)

"Lions were reported to be numerous in the reedy swamps bordering the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers in the early 1870s. The last known lion in Iraq was killed in 1918 on the lower Tigris (Hatt, 1959)."

http://www.oocities.org/jaffacity/Asiatic_Lion.html.tmp

Once again Arab governments could cooperate about reintroducing lions into national parks and I suggest working with our Ethiopian/Horn of Africa friends in this regard. Or our Sudanese brothers and sisters.

Another curiosity in the zoo of Sana'a there are lions who are descendants of the last wild lions of Yemen it is said. They have been transported to KSA due to the conflicts in Yemen which have been ongoing since 2011 unfortunately.

Speaking about hunting, as I wrote, the last wild lion in KSA (Arabia as a whole) was killed in 1926.

"A text that was written in the second century BC, over two thousand years ago, by Agatharchides of Cnidos reflects the Ancient Greek’s fascination with wild animals. Indeed, there was a flourishing trade in captive carnivores during the late Hellenistic period and subsequently during the height of the Roman Empire. Any lion or leopard unfortunate enough to be trapped in Arabia was quite likely to end up in a cage in Athens or Rome where they became objects of show or participants in some of the blood-spilling ‘games’ of the period. This interest in exotic wildlife resulted in several quite informative texts on Arabia’s wildlife at this time.

“The lions of Arabia”, wrote Agatharchides, “are less hairy and bolder. They are uniform in colour just are those in Babylonia. The sheen of their mane is such that the hair on the back of their neck gleams like gold. …the leopards are unlike those found in caria and Lycia. their bodies are large, and they are much better able to endure wounds and pain.
In strength, moreover, they surpass the others by as much as a wild animal does a domesticated one.”

https://snarla.wordpress.com/2007/08/

Many animals have become extinct in the Arabian Peninsula and the most famous one is the lion. Actually one can find rock art depicting lions all over Arabia. People also made statues of lions. In addition Arabs admired it so much that they called their children by the lions name.

Such as Assad, Hamza, Haydar, Laith, Wail, Sab', Najidh, Wa'il, Usama, Shibl etc. to name a few.

Arabs admired lions and its courage and many poems and much literature is a testament of this. Hunting lions was also a status symbol.

2dje7ts.jpg

arabattck.jpg
\

Lions shown on 10.000 old rock art in KSA.

mk43589_dsc07515.jpg

Africa - the homeland of the lion.

Theoretically speaking you could introduce wild lions to Yemen and parts of KSA since Ethiopia which has a somewhat similar fauna, landscapes, climate etc. and relatively close geographic proximity have wild lions.
But that would only be possible in very small amounts and probably only in national parks.

It would be wonderful if the lion returned to Arabia and Asir/Southern KSA/Southern Hijaz could be a good place to reintroduce lions into existing or new national parks.

If I were a billionaire I would do just that.

@f1000n and @Malik Alashter the last wild lion was killed in Iraq in 1918 (similar period in history) in lower Tigris (Southern Iraq)

"Lions were reported to be numerous in the reedy swamps bordering the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers in the early 1870s. The last known lion in Iraq was killed in 1918 on the lower Tigris (Hatt, 1959)."

http://www.oocities.org/jaffacity/Asiatic_Lion.html.tmp

Once again Arab governments could cooperate about reintroducing lions into national parks and I suggest working with our Ethiopian/Horn of Africa friends in this regard. Or our Sudanese brothers and sisters.

Another curiosity in the zoo of Sana'a there are lions who are descendants of the last wild lions of Yemen it is said. They have been transported to KSA due to the conflicts in Yemen which have been ongoing since 2011 unfortunately.
Truly thanks this providence is gold it needs lots of attention

but is taif in asir or not?.

Truly thanks this providence is gold it needs lots of attention

but is taif in asir or not?.

You are welcome bro.

No, Ta'if is a mountain city situated almost 2000 meters above sea level in Hijaz. Asir is a province of Southern KSA but historically it is considered a part of Southern Hijaz or "Greater Hijaz".

There are 600 km between Ta'if and Abha (capital of Asir province and another mountain city situated 2300 meters above sea level).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta'if

How about tay mountain? جبل طيء

Tayy is the old name of the Jabal Shammar mountains. They are located in Northern Najd. Around the city of Ha'il (located 1000 meters above sea level)

B9KnTvICQAA7JQR.jpg

mk863_kdran%2021.jpg

More photos:

http://www.mekshat.com/vb/showthrea...%D1%C7%E4-%E6%D5%DA%E6%CF%ED-%DE%E3%CA%E5-)))

That mountain range is very rocky and volcanic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha'il

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shammar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tayy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirate_of_Jabal_Shammar

Hijaz and Southern KSA are completely different regions compared to Najd. It is like Ninawa vs Basra.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom