What's new

America: Israel’s Obnoxious Big Brother by Rabbi Jaffe

Ghareeb_Da_Baal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every time I turn on the news lately I see headlines that are starting to heavily unnerve me. “Israel has offended United States envoy.” “Plans for Israel’s building in Jerusalem are stalling Mideast peace efforts.” “Israel-America relations are at an all time low.” These headlines make me nervous, but not because I think it’s an intelligent strategy to run a country as dictated to you by American politicians. In fact, quite the opposite. I fear that Israel continuously does exactly that, much to its detriment, and one day taking the wrong piece of advice will have catastrophic results (again?).

But I digress.

What is the United States of America? Where does this country get the notion that if it flexes its muscles at their “little brother” Israel that Israel should lower its head, apologize, and do as its told? Where does America get this idea that its opinion is always correct and morally superior?

In my view, there are three flaws in America’s outlook, which could ultimately harm Israel, it’s greatest ally:

1. America is invincible.

Since I was a little kid I was brought up to think the United States was untouchable. Because of its exalted status as the most powerful nation in the universe, America feels offended if anyone does not consider its demands as immediately binding.

But is America invincible? Is America untouchable?

Let’s see. It couldn’t conquer puny little Vietnam. It’s still trapped in wars against two third-world piles of sand. America threatens sanctions, other nations giggle. And America mindlessly searches for the mastermind behind the first ever major attack against the mainland states.

Remember that in 1967 teeny little under-equipped Israel brought four countries (including Iraq!) to their knees in just six days without the assistance of any other nation. Why it should bow to the might of America, its overbearing big brother, when other countries feel no fear, I’ll never understand.

But it just might…

2. America is the epitome of moral superiority.

I’ve never really understood this one. True, America has the most purely moralistic code. The notion that all men are created equal is truly a beautiful one. But America’s history just seems like it is slowly inching toward that ideal, without ever actually accomplishing it.

Since those profound words have been formulated, America enslaved people for generations followed by robbing former slaves of their civil rights. America remains to date the only nation in the world to ever drop an atomic bomb on human beings, and has had minimal variety amongst its leaders.

America pats itself on the back for electing an African-American as its president. How about a non-protestant? Or a woman? Or an anarchist? Or, golly gee, a non-politician? These, in my mind (and in the mind of any thinking non-racist) are far greater differences than skin color.

Where does America get this arrogance from? Where does it get this mistaken belief that it represents the epicenter of world morality? I’ve lived in both America and Israel and I’m baffled that anybody in Israel even listens for a moment when America tries to explain how Israel should or should not behave.

3. America really understands the way the world functions.

Does America have a firm grasp on the Middle Eastern mentality? Does America fully get the nuances of the relationship and history between Israel and its neighbors?

I will not mince words: NO.

There are some differences between a western mind and a middle eastern mind that I don’t think will or can ever be understood by the average American. When these misunderstandings lead to dictation of foreign policy, disaster is inevitable.

If an unskilled and untrained person were in the wild, he would not know what to do in the face of danger. Some animals you should run from, or seek high ground. Some you should run from in a specific manner. And there are other animals where the best course is to stay still. Lack of knowledge will result in your demise.

The same is true with the world. If all problems are approached in the same manner seeking the same results, you will have some successes, but should get used to lots of disappointment as well.

“Israel has offended United States envoy.”- Israel is trying its best to survive. If you get offended, deal with it.

“Plans for Israel’s building in Jerusalem are stalling Mideast peace efforts.”- Israel continues to attempt to be a sovereign nation. Sovereign nations are allowed to build in their capitols. Mideast peace efforts have never seen results and people are plotting daily to destroy Israel. Is it really fair to say developing Israel’s capitol is what’s preventing peace? Sure. It has absolutely nothing to do with using Mickey Mouse cartoons to train children to be suicide bombers…

“Israel-America relations are at an all time low.”- America: Get over it. You’re just the obnoxious older brother who pouts when he doesn’t get his own way. That doesn’t mean you’re right.

True, US has no authority, however it may stop the financial and other aid. Israel would cease to exist, if it were not for the constant and unconditional support from the USA.
So the article is good giving the reasons why the US has no right to moralize others. If it was coming from an independent country, it would be fine. Coming from Israel it is somewhat unpleasant.
As an American taxpayer whose money was/is used by Israel to kill innocents, I am nonplussed.
However, in the Zionist-occupied US government, the withdrawal of help to Israel is not possible - just see what happened to JFK when he tried to cross Israeli nuclear plans and undermine Federal Reserve.

Isreal knows US cannot risk losing their support if military action is likely to be taken against Iran. They are taking advantage of this. This also shows US has not ruled out military action completely. Why do you think they started building settlements now?

Let’s see. It couldn’t conquer puny little Vietnam.

Conquest was never the mission, when US troops left, SV was still a nation.

It’s still trapped in wars against two third-world piles of sand.

Iraq is a win, astan isn't over yet.

America threatens sanctions, other nations giggle.

No China giggles, mos tof the rest of the world is on board.

And America mindlessly searches for the mastermind behind the first ever major attack against the mainland states.

Al Queda is gutted and most of its leadership is dead or in US custody, hows that war against Hezzbollah and Hamas going?

Remember that in 1967 teeny little under-equipped Israel brought four countries (including Iraq!) to their knees in just six days without the assistance of any other nation. Why it should bow to the might of America, its overbearing big brother, when other countries feel no fear, I’ll never understand.

The US kept the Soviets at bay, in 73 if we hand't sent you fighters off of our carriers, and blocked the Soviet responce you would have lost.

2. America is the epitome of moral superiority.

Yup

I’ve never really understood this one. True, America has the most purely moralistic code. The notion that all men are created equal is truly a beautiful one. But America’s history just seems like it is slowly inching toward that ideal, without ever actually accomplishing it.

progress is slow but steady.

Since those profound words have been formulated, America enslaved people for generations followed by robbing former slaves of their civil rights. America remains to date the only nation in the world to ever drop an atomic bomb on human beings, and has had minimal variety amongst its leaders.

lets forget that Japan was using WMD's on an American ally.

However, if we want to deal with factual history, Israel is the only modenr nation formed by a migratory invasion.

America pats itself on the back for electing an African-American as its president. How about a non-protestant?

Like JFK?

a non-politician?

Ike, Grant, Washington......

These, in my mind (and in the mind of any thinking non-racist) are far greater differences than skin color.

True in Israel its not skin color but faith. I'd like to see Israel elect a non-Jew.

3. America really understands the way the world functions.

Does America have a firm grasp on the Middle Eastern mentality? Does America fully get the nuances of the relationship and history between Israel and its neighbors?

I will not mince words: NO.

Really, we don't? Yet being completely naive we manage to load up Israel with weapons to kill Arabs, and get other Arabs to sell us oil.

“Israel has offended United States envoy.”- Israel is trying its best to survive. If you get offended, deal with it.

How does taking more Palestinian land help Israel survive?

“Plans for Israel’s building in Jerusalem are stalling Mideast peace efforts.”- Israel continues to attempt to be a sovereign nation. Sovereign nations are allowed to build in their capitols.

Then build in the Jewish parts of Jerusalem, why take more land from the palestinians.

Mideast peace efforts have never seen results and people are plotting daily to destroy Israel.

DID YOU EVER WONDER WHY THEY PLOT? sETTLEMENTS ARE A BIG PART OF IT.

The comparison is inaccurate - the US would face no problems (and did not in either Iraq or Afghanistan) in winning the conventional wars and 'bringing the regimes to their knees' - in fact it did so extremely quickly in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Did so in Iraq twice in fact.

Where the US has struggled is in the occupation and nation building phase, and quite frankly, given that Israel has to in essence segregate the populace it is occupying into a massive prison and wall it in to protect itself, Israel has no room, absolutely NO ROOM, to be criticizing US efforts in nation building or 'occupation'.

it's amazing what israel gets away with i could never imagine american soldiers going into a black neighbourhood seizing their land and destroying their homes,enclosing them with barb wire fences ,building white only colonies and roads protected by sniper towers and armed troops and then say we have the right to build in our cities and god promised it to us.Most people wouldn't even think of it yet israel does it.

Back
Top Bottom