What's new

Am I too radical for Pakistan?

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hey guys,

I have been here for some years now and still don't understand many highly complex structures and dynamics in Pakistan's siyaset and society even though I really try keeping an open mind towards anything political that comes from Pakistani users here. I even read a couple of Pakistani newspaper on a regularly basis.

There is one main issue that bothers me most. Couple weeks ago there was an article regarding the extinction of some regional languages in Pakistan: http://www.dawn.com/news/1306783

Many users here and in the Pakistani part of the internet criticized the government for not preventing this regional languages from disappearance. And I asked myself: Why should the government help preserving this languages?

This lead me to the question why Pakistan's politicians don't implement a Pakistanization policy in every corner of Pakistan. I know many of you guys are super proud to be a Punjabi, Baloche, Kashmiri, Pashtu, Sindhi etc. But, pardon my language, who cares about these regional sub-identities?

I know that many people will argue that Islam is the sole and exclusive social glue of Pakistan that keeps the country and society together. In my opinion, it is not acceptable (and not healthy for Pakistan) that Muslim Punjabis in Pakistan and India have more in common than a Pakistani citizen of Punjabi and Baloch origin in Pakistan.

That's why, in fact, there are three very important markers for national identity:

Language; Culture; Religion

Other markers are clothing, food, physical appearance, values, norms etc. Anyway, the most important points here are:

Language - Urdu

Religion - Islam

Culture - ???

When it comes to culture, I'm not so sure whether there is a "pan-Pakistani" culture. Can someone give me a major characteristic that a citizen from Balochistan, Gilgit Baltistan and Sindh share apart from religion?

Why are people opposing the idea of a "one nation - one language - one religion" concept for Pakistan anyway? This is rather strange because typically religious people in the Islamic world don't care that much about their ethnic identity. Many Sunni Arabs and Kurds assimilated into the Turkish society. Secular Azeris in Iran are often fond of irredentist ideas whereas conservative Azeris tend to have a stronger Iranian identity.

Strangely enough, in case of Pakistan all of this assumptions are wrong. People are generally very religious, Islam plays a very important role in their lifes but yet people are sticking to their regional identities and traditions. But why? Can someone enlighten me, please?

Theoretically, as a Pakistani politician, I would try to systematically enforce Urdu in every part of the country. Only Urdu should be taught at schools, there should be a box "Pakistani" in the section about ethnicity in every census to strengthen a "pan-Pakistani" national identity. The children of Pakistan must learn that Pakistan is older than 70 years. The Indus Valley Civilisation must become a fixed part of school instruction, curricula and programs. The Pakistani civilization is thousands of years old. Educational school trips to archaeological sites would be a fine idea.

Even resettlement programs should be discussed. Punjabis and Sindh people could be resettled from crowded places in their home province to rural areas of Balochistan for the purpose of mixing up the different ethnicities like Turkey did after becoming a nation-state.

70d68a002e0440f0bb3d94f1a62a0eb7.png
e3b0e8baaa494980921130b9a4bf03cb.png

Focusing on religion as the main commonality among the different ethnicities in Pakistan is very dangerous. In fact, it creates a false sense of security. India with the help of Afghanistan is already trying to disturb the peace in Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi are trying to awake a Pashtu nationalism in Pakistan. And I'm totally against any kind of federalization in Pakistan.

This is another thing that I don't understand. Why are people constantly demanding more and more provinces? You can ask a secular or religious Pakistani - both will explain to you that the current administrational system of Pakistan is not working very well. Why do you want to implement even more not working administrational units in the first place? Why do you want to pay monthly salaries to thousands of new deputies? The majority of the Pakistani diaspora is right now living in Anglo-Saxon states with federal governing systems. This system may work in those countries but it isn't a working and reliable system for Pakistan. It does not fit. Federal systems are only productive in wealthy and homogeneous societies.

Last but not least: I know that only a military-led government can impose all of these ideas. Therefore the democratic electoral system should be suspended for at least 25 years; centralization (of power) is the key issue.

So, am I too radical for Pakistan? Am I missing or ignoring important points? Sorry for my bad English and I apologize in advance if some of you feel insulted or offended by my posting. I'm just trying to understand a little bit more because I care for Pakistan.

Hey guys,

I have been here for some years now and still don't understand many highly complex structures and dynamics in Pakistan's siyaset and society even though I really try keeping an open mind towards anything political that comes from Pakistani users here. I even read a couple of Pakistani newspaper on a regularly basis.

There is one main issue that bothers me most. Couple weeks ago there was an article regarding the extinction of some regional languages in Pakistan: http://www.dawn.com/news/1306783

Many users here and in the Pakistani part of the internet criticized the government for not preventing this regional languages from disappearance. And I asked myself: Why should the government help preserving this languages?

This lead me to the question why Pakistan's politicians don't implement a Pakistanization policy in every corner of Pakistan. I know many of you guys are super proud to be a Punjabi, Baloche, Kashmiri, Pashtu, Sindhi etc. But, pardon my language, who cares about these regional sub-identities?

I know that many people will argue that Islam is the sole and exclusive social glue of Pakistan that keeps the country and society together. In my opinion, it is not acceptable (and not healthy for Pakistan) that Muslim Punjabis in Pakistan and India have more in common than a Pakistani citizen of Punjabi and Baloch origin in Pakistan.

That's why, in fact, there are three very important markers for national identity:

Other markers are clothing, food, physical appearance, values, norms etc. Anyway, the most important points here are:

Language - Urdu

Religion - Islam

Culture - ???

When it comes to culture, I'm not so sure whether there is a "pan-Pakistani" culture. Can someone give me a major characteristic that a citizen from Balochistan, Gilgit Baltistan and Sindh share apart from religion?

Why are people opposing the idea of a "one nation - one language - one religion" concept for Pakistan anyway? This is rather strange because typically religious people in the Islamic world don't care that much about their ethnic identity. Many Sunni Arabs and Kurds assimilated into the Turkish society. Secular Azeris in Iran are often fond of irredentist ideas whereas conservative Azeris tend to have a stronger Iranian identity.

Strangely enough, in case of Pakistan all of this assumptions are wrong. People are generally very religious, Islam plays a very important role in their lifes but yet people are sticking to their regional identities and traditions. But why? Can someone enlighten me, please?

Theoretically, as a Pakistani politician, I would try to systematically enforce Urdu in every part of the country. Only Urdu should be taught at schools, there should be a box "Pakistani" in the section about ethnicity in every census to strengthen a "pan-Pakistani" national identity. The children of Pakistan must learn that Pakistan is older than 70 years. The Indus Valley Civilisation must become a fixed part of school instruction, curricula and programs. The Pakistani civilization is thousands of years old. Educational school trips to archaeological sites would be a fine idea.

Even resettlement programs should be discussed. Punjabis and Sindh people could be resettled from crowded places in their home province to rural areas of Balochistan for the purpose of mixing up the different ethnicities like Turkey did after becoming a nation-state.

Focusing on religion as the main commonality among the different ethnicities in Pakistan is very dangerous. In fact, it creates a false sense of security. India with the help of Afghanistan is already trying to disturb the peace in Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi are trying to awake a Pashtu nationalism in Pakistan. And I'm totally against any kind of federalization in Pakistan.

This is another thing that I don't understand. Why are people constantly demanding more and more provinces? You can ask a secular or religious Pakistani - both will explain to you that the current administrational system of Pakistan is not working very well. Why do you want to implement even more not working administrational units in the first place? Why do you want to pay monthly salaries to thousands of new deputies? The majority of the Pakistani diaspora is right now living in Anglo-Saxon states with federal governing systems. This system may work in those countries but it isn't a working and reliable system for Pakistan. It does not fit. Federal systems are only productive in wealthy and homogeneous societies.

Last but not least: I know that only a military-led government can impose all of these ideas. Therefore the democratic electoral system should be suspended for at least 25 years; centralization (of power) is the key issue.

So, am I too radical for Pakistan? Am I missing or ignoring important points? Sorry for my bad English and I apologize in advance if some of you feel insulted or offended by my posting. I'm just trying to understand a little bit more because I care for Pakistan.

There is nothing radical about your opinion.

Pakistan (govt) already is trying to spread Urdu everywhere in Pakistan.

We speak different languages because the four different provinces used to be 4 different nations altogether and so had different languages and they live on to this day.

India have that before (in Balochistan) but failed, it is bound to fail in KPK (not to mention that even the very idea of trying that is funny and foolish, Pathan/Pakhtoon are very different than Baloch).

Hey guys,

Your country was turkified because Turks were like 90% of the population ? And are homogenous .

Pakistan isn't a homogenous state ...

You mentioned Panjab .. Do you know Panjab itself is divided into upper,central and southern regions having cultural Aswell as linguistic differences ?

Panjab is also no homogenous .. Apart from Seriki speakin Baloch or Pashtuns in south .... Even the local castes/tribes vary from region to region...

Perhaps the only region in Pak that has succeeded in doing what Turkey has done is Sindh .. Which has a large percentage of Baloch population (it was ruled by Baloch dynasties) and today they proudly speak Sindhi and thump cheat over Sindhi culture... Despite originally being from neighboring Balochistan.

Also language is a part of culture .. What you are saying is that we should forcefully eliminate that and enforce Urdu which isn't even our native language (although spoken,read,written by 99% of the population)..:

Such an idea is actually dangerous for Pak... It will happen .. It already is happening... But use of force or against the will of people will have consequence for Pak..

I'm Baloch and proud of it .. But even I can see the effect (which you are encouraging) it's happening.. Specially in urban areas ... Migrations,trade,profession etc are making it happen already...

But I personally am against it... We should speak Urdu .. But what will we do about the culture ?

Will we import it from UP in central India where Urdu belongs to? Or should we import it from one of our provinces which will equally be bad for our state as nobody will accept the unjust enforcement of another culture ?

Would say Turks be happy if Kurdish language or culture was imposed on them ?

Language - Urdu

Religion - Islam

Culture - ???

We share a lot living with eachother for thousands of years .. Citizens of the same kingdoms...through trade and settlements and whatnot...

There are Baloch in Sindh .. Pashtuns in Panjab ... Hindkowans in KPK... And so on...

We have never had a bloody coup or an unpopular coup ... Always supported by the people .. And even politicians ....

India tried Sindhi nationalist resistance .. It failed (Sindh is entirely a Pak province and shares nothing with India)... Afghans,Indians,Russians and even our baathist friends tried pashtunistan in the 70s.. It also failed...
Baloch insurgency itself isn't supported by majority of Baloch tribes .. And most of those people who do support it is not due to nationalism ... Rather states negligence of the province .. Economically we are the least developed provinces and worst on human development indexes ...

We are a weird country .. Just accept it and move on work for the betterment of people ... Rest will come with it... It's already there in urban centres ...

II give you a personal example .. I live in the capital ... People from all parts of the country reside here .. Everybody speaks Urdu but we also speak our native languages in our homes with our families etc ..

My wife is from KPK... When we married we followed our traditions and her family followed theirs.. It worked out just fine ..

Urdu is a national language .. but it isn't a culture .. Pak is a state but a state whose every province or region is like the flowers in a bouquet....

There is nothing radical about your opinion.

Pakistan (govt) already is trying to spread Urdu everywhere in Pakistan.

We speak different languages because the four different provinces used to be 4 different nations altogether and so had different languages and they live on to this day.

India have that before (in Balochistan) but failed, it is bound to fail in KPK (not to mention that even the very idea of trying that is funny and foolish, Pathan/Pakhtoon are very different than Baloch).

How do you spread a language there already read,written and understood everywhere ? What's the medium ?

Pashtuns and Baloch are like cousins ...

Pashtunistan already failed in the 70s.. Today a large percentage of ur military comes from KPK.. Ur quarter of a million man FC is entirely Pashtun ... There are more Baloch and Pashtuns in Sindh,Karachi than Peshawar or Kabul.

Hey guys,

Language - Urdu

Religion - Islam

Culture - ???

As an Indian I really like your points
1 Impose Urdu as single national language
2 Abolish provinces or give them less powers
3 Military rule

I seem to recall something like this happening in the past. When..... When..... When?
Ah now I recall. 1971.

Please continue

@DESERT FIGHTER

Is balochi your first language out of interest?

Is it taught in public schools in Balochistan side by side with Urdu, English etc?

@DESERT FIGHTER

Is balochi your first language out of interest?

Is it taught in public schools in Balochistan side by side with Urdu, English etc?
It is ... It's pretty much the medium of education in govt schools Aswell as schools in rural areas... Same goes for all regional languages of Pak..

Although the "English medium" or the "better" schools prefer English ..

It is ... It's pretty much the medium of education in govt schools Aswell as schools in rural areas... Same goes for all regional languages of Pak..

Are the English medium schools still mandated to have them (local language + Urdu) as compulsory courses though (I get that all the other subjects would be taught in English)?

Are there any Urdu medium schools in the major provinces...or English medium is pretty much the choice when the school is "elite"?

If i am not wrong, even Urdu is a language of UP from India...It is foolishness of India that they somehow disowned the native language which was taken up by Pakistan..Otherwise, the native language of Pakistan can be either Arabic( Due to Islamic nation) and can be regional language spoken by each province....

Hey guys,

Language - Urdu

Religion - Islam

Culture - ???

Pakistani is not a homogeneous country all languages spoken in Pakistan are Pakistani i have no issues if regional govt,s make them compulsory it will actually result in increase in literacy rate

Fun fact the only language that is spoken in all 4 provinces of Pakistan is Seraiki :D
@DESERT FIGHTER @The Eagle Mekon thori bohti awandhi hayi :D
But even Seraiki has dialects the Seraiki spoken in Multan is close to Punjab but the Seraiki spoken in Balochistan,Rahim Yar Khan and Sindh is closer to Sindhi

If i am not wrong, even Urdu is a language of UP from India...It is foolishness of India that they somehow disowned the native language which was taken up by Pakistan..Otherwise, the native language of Pakistan can be either Arabic( Due to Islamic nation) and can be regional language spoken by each province....

Persian was the lingua Franca in modern day Pak.. Even the Panjabi courts official language was Persian.

Urdu is an official language in India. What are you talking about? Take out a rupee note and check all the scripts.

It is the official language of J&K too.

UP, Bihar and Jharkand have second official language for Urdu as well....either across their entire state or in designated constituencies.

in sind yes not in punjab , never heard of teaching in punjabi, dare to correct me

Are the English medium schools still mandated to have them (local language + Urdu) as compulsory courses though (I get that all the other subjects would be taught in English)?

Are there any Urdu medium schools in the major provinces...or English medium is pretty much the choice when the school is "elite"?

Urdu as a subject is taught in every school..

Govt schools and schools in rural areas teach kids in regional languages..

In urban areas,bigger cities where the population is diverse .. Urdu and English are the mediums.

Back
Top Bottom