What's new

AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank) news

ahojunk

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Australia
AIIB updates

Twenty-one Asian countries that are willing to join the AIIB as founding members signed an MOU in Beijing on Oct. 24, which specifies the authorized capital of the AIIB is 100 billion U.S. dollars and the initial capital is expected to be around 50 billion dollars.

The 21 countries are Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, the Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.

Beijing will be the host city for the AIIB's headquarters.

Welcome onboard,Indonesia :-)

Indonesia becomes founding member of AIIB

CCTV.com

11-26-2014 17:23 BJT

Video:Indonesia becomes founding member of AIIB - CCTV News - CCTV.com English

Indonesia has signed a Memorandum of Understanding on launching the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.

Southeast Asia's largest economy is the 22nd founding member of the bank. The country's finance ministry says Indonesia fully supports the AIIB and is looking forward to participating in the establishment process.

The finance ministry also says the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is in line with the country's growth strategy and is conducive to regional development.

Now if we, through the AIIB, can make the pan Asian expressway(motorway) network as dense and extensive as East China's:

chinamotorway.jpg

US anger at Britain joining Chinese-led investment bank AIIB

US statement says of UK membership that it is ‘worried about a trend of constant accomodation’ of China, in a rare public breach in the special relationship

b4ab3c0a-dd1a-4f00-9562-f9b2f5039f87-1020x612.jpeg

Chinese finance minister Lou Jiwei at the signing ceremony of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, Beijing, October 2014. Photograph: Takaki Yajima/AFP/Getty Images

The White House has issued a pointed statement declaring it hopes and expects the UK will use its influence to ensure that high standards of governance are upheld in a new Chinese-led investment bank that Britain is to join.

In a rare public breach in the special relationship, the White House signalled its unease at Britain’s decision to become a founder member of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) by raising concerns about whether the new body would meet the standards of the World Bank.

The $50bn (£33.5bn) bank, which is designed to provide infrastructure funds to the Asia-Pacific region, is viewed with great suspicion by Washington officials, who see it as a rival to the World Bank. They believe Beijing will use the bank to extend its soft power in the region.

The White House statement reads: “This is the UK’s sovereign decision. We hope and expect that the UK will use its voice to push for adoption of high standards.”

George Osborne – who has discussed the decision to become a founder member of the investment bank with his US counterpart, Jack Lew – has been the driving force behind developing closer economic ties between Britain and China. The chancellor has led the way in encouraging Chinese investment in the next generation of civil nuclear power plants in the UK and he ensured that the City of London would become the base for the first clearing house for the yuan outside Asia.

The US administration made clear in no uncertain terms its displeasure about Osborne’s decision to join the AIIB. A US official told the Financial Times: “We are wary about a trend toward constant accommodation of China, which is not the best way to engage a rising power.”

Britain was unsurprised by the decision of the US administration to air its concerns in public after the formal announcement that the UK would join the new investment bank. Sources said, in addition to the talks about British plans between the chancellor and the US treasury secretary, British and US officials have been in regular contact ahead of the announcement. UK officials say that, by joining the bank as a founding member, Britain will be able to shape the new institution.

In its statement to the Guardian, the White House national security council said: “Our position on the AIIB remains clear and consistent. The United States and many major global economies all agree there is a pressing need to enhance infrastructure investment around the world. We believe any new multilateral institution should incorporate the high standards of the World Bank and the regional development banks.
“Based on many discussions, we have concerns about whether the AIIB will meet these high standards, particularly related to governance, and environmental and social safeguards … The international community has a stake in seeing the AIIB complement the existing architecture, and to work effectively alongside the World Bank and Asian Development Bank.”

Human rights groups and others have complained that the UK has become too willing to placate China – particularly in light of its muted comments over the tight restrictions set out for voting rights in Hong Kong – but Thursday’s remarks seem to be focused on the bank.

“I think the US has had its questions about the UK posture towards China on other issues and I suppose this announcement probably triggered renewed concern in Washington about overall British politics vis-à-vis China. But [we] don’t normally arbitrate these things in public and I’m a little unsure as to why the US has chosen to pick a fight with the UK on this bank at this time, because I thought it had somewhat softened its posture on the bank. It’s a bit surprising to me,” said Matthew Goodman, senior adviser for Asian economics at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Goodman said the US had legitimate questions about the AIIB when it was first announced last summer, such as the governance of the institution, its lending standards and procurement rules.

“Notwithstanding that, I think they should have been more willing to engage in discussion with China and others about the institution. There’s a big infrastructure gap in Asia, existing institutions are not filling it and China has the wherewithal to contribute on the right terms.”

Some surmised that the US was responsible when Australia backed away from signing up to the bank at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Beijing last autumn, after widespread speculation a deal was on the cards.

“The US did reach out to Australia, Koreans and others to consult about questions and concerns, and that’s been interpreted as leaning on allies not to join the bank,” said Goodman.

As the world’s second largest economy, China has grown increasingly frustrated that it does not have more influence at the IMF and World Bank, and sees little prospect of more say regarding the Japanese-backed Asia Development Bank.

US anger at Britain joining Chinese-led investment bank AIIB | US news | The Guardian

US anger at Britain joining Chinese-led investment bank AIIB

Britain has announced plans to become the first major Western country to join a Chinese-led development bank, drawing a concerned response from the US.

The $50bn (£33.6bn) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has been feted by Beijing as a way of financing regional development, and is seen as a potential rival to US-based institutions such as the World Bank.

Chancellor George Osborne said Britain would join discussions with other founding members to set out the institution’s governance and accountability structures later this month, in a move to bolster relations with China.

“Forging links between the UK and Asian economies to give our companies the best opportunity to work and invest in the world’s fastest growing markets is a key part of our long-term economic plan,” Mr Osborne said in a statement.

“Joining the AIIB at the founding stage will create an unrivalled opportunity for the UK and Asia to invest and grow together.”

The US administration made clear in no uncertain terms its displeasure about Osborne’s decision to join the AIIB. A US official told the Financial Times: “We are wary about a trend toward constant accommodation of China, which is not the best way to engage a rising power.”

“The US did reach out to Australia, Koreans and others to consult about questions and concerns, and that’s been interpreted as leaning on allies not to join the bank,” said Goodman.

The bank has support from countries including India, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Uzbekistan and Vietnam. However, several major economies allied to the US, including Japan, South Korea and Australia, have declined to become founding members.

First USA is angry at Vietnam and now it is angry at UK.

USA, along with Japan, pressured Australia and South Korea not joining at the beginning, but now Australia is rethinking of joining after UK.

I think China, as a founding member, should make an example with one of those countries ( Australia, South Korea or Japan) and keep it from joining, forever.

LOL I don't get it, America is always asking to borrow money from us, why do they have a problem when we lend to other people?
US is just a petty little spoil brat. Their flip flop policy will never win any friends. Those so called allies they have just trying to get some goodies. Once no more goodies, they will left US to rot.

Money talks. :lol::lol::lol:

Now, Britain has broken ranks and decided to join AIIB. Why wouldn't Britain join, when there is $100 billion waiting there. Britain should look after its own interests. Likewise, the Americans look after its own interests, not others. The US can no longer go around telling other countries what to do.

It's getting interesting. I wonder which other European country is next. I think Australia or South Korea may jump the queue.

If China put another $100 billion making the size of AIIB to $200 billion, many more countries would be queuing to join.

By getting angry it begs the REAL question......are these organizations like IMF truly development/macro-economic assistance institutions or are they tools of foreign policy and leverage

I've always viewed the IMF with suspicion and i have great reasons for that. It's kind of like the intensive care unit at a hospital. It's always the absolute last resort (least desirable option) which every developing country DESPISES - b/c of the intrusive - sometimes counter-productive conditions they attach before disbursement.

self-respecting countries need macro-economic stability and a large part of that is judged by the foreign exchange reserves position....at the same time they need not be in the debt/slavery trap where they end up being forced to undertake new loan programs in order to finance old ones.

I hope the Chinese realize that and take a different course of action when designing this new bank

LOL I don't get it, America is always asking to borrow money from us, why do they have a problem when we lend to other people?

you do raise a good point there......i guess the only difference is that while America is in huge debt, buying its debt its still worthy and pays returns. China-US relationship has been quite symbiotic in that sense. As long as US is still the "main superpower" this will keep going on.

USA doesn't want competitions or institutions that's outside of its dominating influences or control. An American always heads the World Bank, an European always heads the IMF and a Japanese always heads the Asian Development Bank, even though these are supposedly international institutions.

With the AIIB , it will give developing countries a choice to choose a source of loan and money. It is this competitions that scares the USA. Also, AIIB will also lessen some influences of Asian Development Bank and that's its controller, Japan, is against it.

In the end, AIIB will be good for developing countries as it give them a fair-er institutions which they can borrow loans/money from.

UK submits application to join AIIB | Business Spectator

UK submits application to join AIIB
Paul Pennay

The UK officially lodged an application to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) yesterday, according to a statement from China's Ministry of Finance.

The ministry said that the application will be considered in keeping with due process and in consultation with the other founding members.

If all goes to plan, the UK will be recognised as a founding member of the bank by the end of March.

The ministry said that it welcomed the UK's decision to apply to join the bank.

Lou Jiwei, China's Finance Minister, recently said that 27 countries had expressed a willingness to become founding members of AIIB.

When the bank was officially founded in October 2014, 21 countries agreed to become founding members, including China, India and Singapore.

Since then, Indonesia, New Zealand and other countries have joined the bank, according to an article in The Paper,

The cut off date for becoming a founding member of the AIIB is March 31, 2015.

-------------------------------------------------

My comments
:-

The clock is ticking to be a founding member - have to join by 31 March 2015. The pressure is on.

Today, the Australian Treasurer Joe Hockey says Australia will now consider joining AIIB.

Initially, Australia turned down the invitation by China to become one of the founding members of the AIIB, saying that Australia would like to see more transparency in the governance of the bank. All of a sudden, with the clock ticking, this is no longer an issue because Britain has applied to join. :lol: My friends, may I remind you that "Money Really Talks". All of a sudden, the news regarding AIIB in my country Australia is now sounding more and more positive. This is how the media works. Before that, there were so much doubts about AIIB.

All Asean countries are on board.

Central Asian countries such as Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan are in. I am wondering why Russia has not joined yet.

Mongolia is already in.

New Zealand is already in.

Hong Kong has announced that they will join.

China has extended an invite to Japan.

My money is that South Korea will also jump ship and join.

Each passing day, the Americans are looking more and more silly. They will be the only one left which has not join.

This is getting more and more exciting in seeing how all these pan out. So much about trying to encircle and contain the rise of China.

:lol::lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom