What's new

Africa’s Most Beloved Lion Killed by ‘Evil’ Dentist From Minnesota

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
The “hunter” who made Cecil the world famous lion suffer for 40 hours after skewering him with a crossbow before shooting, skinning and beheading the King of Beasts, has been identified as a dentist from Minnesota. In a poetic twist, he’s become the subject of an international hunt by Zimbabwean authorities and an outraged international public.

The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force named Walter Palmer, 55, of Eden Prairie, Minnesota — owner of Palmer’s River Bluff Dental in Bloomington — as their primary suspect, before Palmer admitted to the kill on Tuesday.

The 13-year-old lion, famous for his unique black mane, is believed to have been killed on July 1, during a poaching trip which cost Palmer over $54,000. The lion’s body was not found until several days after his death.

"He never bothered anybody," Johnny Rodrigues, the head of Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told The Telegraph. "He was one of the most beautiful animals to look at."

The lion was a resident and tourist attraction at Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, where he enjoyed protected status and the adoration of local and tourist fans alike. The evening of the fatal hunt, Palmer and local guides allegedly — and illegally — used bait to lure Cecil out of the park before Palmer shot him with a crossbow.

1022249545.jpg

Freed Circus Lion Feels Grass for First Time in His Life

Injured, but still alive, Cecil fled from the bloodthirsty savages, but was unable to find help. He was discovered by the poachers 40 hours later, at which time he was shot dead with a gun, his body was beheaded, and his pelt removed.

Cecil was fitted with a GPS collar that allowed authorities to track his movements, which the poachers subsequently attempted to destroy.

As if the story couldn’t be more tragic, Cecil had six cubs. With their father gone, those cubs will now likely be killed by the next dominant male lion.

“The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho, will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs,” Rodrigues told the Star Tribune.

Two of the men who assisted Palmer in the hunt are facing poaching charges — charges which Palmer himself is no stranger to.

In 2008, Palmer pleaded guilty to federal poaching charges after killing a black bear in Wisconsin, 40 miles outside of the legal hunting zone. He was sentenced to one year of probation and fined $3,000, clearly not harsh enough a penalty to deter him from killing again, as many photos of him holding the carcases of rare species have surfaced online.

The ZCTF has stated that they are looking for Palmer, though they believe he has left the country.

"We arrested two people and now we are looking for Palmer in connection with the same case," police spokeswoman Charity Charamba told reporters.

So with the tables turned, Palmer seems to have become the prey. Beyond being hunted by the ZCTF, social media users outraged at the disregard for wildlife’s majesty have also begun hunting down any information they can find. Many people have even called for the dentist’s death.

Palmer’s River Bluff Dental has been shuttered for business, with a note posted on the door with the contact information for a PR firm ostensibly hired in the wake of public outrage, and the practice’s Facebook page and website have been closed.

By Tuesday afternoon, his rating on crowd-sourced review site Yelp had fallen to one star, and the page was flooded with 1906 reviews, none of which were complimentary.

“Dr. Palmer, I can only hope that when your time comes, karma takes over and puts you through even worse suffering, than what you did to Cecil the Lion,” Andrea M. from New York City wrote in her review. ‘You are an evil man, a coward. Dare I say some sort of devil. You will get your comeuppance and many, MANY people will dance with joy."

“Too bad this was not one of the many Dentist that commit suicide,” Mike W. from Middleton, Massachusetts wrote in his one-star rating.

Palmer’s website, prior to being taken down, shared information about the dentist’s interests:

"Anything allowing him to stay active and observe and photograph wildlife is where you will find Dr Palmer when he not in the office."

It failed to mention that he doesn’t only get blood on his hands at the office.

Even Piers Morgan, the British journalist and television personality known for ruffling feathers, got in on the outrage, writing a piece for the Daily Mail entitled “I’d love to go hunting one day with Dr. Walter Palmer the killer dentist… so I can stuff and mount him for MY office wall.”

On Tuesday evening, the big-cat-killer issued a statement defending himself:

"In early July, I was in Zimbabwe on a bowhunting trip for big game. I hired several professional guides and they secured all proper permits. To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted.

"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favourite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt,” Palmer wrote. “I have not been contacted by authorities in Zimbabwe or in the US about this situation, but will assist them in any inquiries they may have. Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

On the same day, the Zimbabwe National Parks issued a statement confirming that “all persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges.”

Meaning that they want Palmer back.

"Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt," ZNP’s statement asserted.

Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris who assisted Palmer in the kill, stated that he was unaware of Cecil’s fame, but like Palmer, had no remorse about potentially killing seven African lions that conservationists warn are facing extinction in the next 35 years.

"It was a magnificent, mature lion. We did not know it was well-known lion. I had a licence for my client to shoot a lion with a bow and arrow in the area where it was shot," Bronkhorst said in a statement.

The two poachers who assisted Palmer are scheduled to appear in court on August 6, and could face up to 15 years behind bars.

Read more: Africa’s Most Beloved Lion Killed by ‘Evil’ Dentist From Minnesota / Sputnik International

Heart-wrenching... :(

meanwhile elephants and rhinos are being militated for China's hunger for Ivory

75147.jpg

The guy is a piece of trash who should be sent back to Zimbabwe for punishment in my opinion.

That still doesn't hide the OPs very clear posting narrative if you get my drift.

Last edited:
The guy is a piece of trash who should be sent back to Zimbabwe for punishment in my opinion.

That still doesn't hide the OPs very clear posting narrative if you get my drift.

I'm against killing animals for sport especially endangered exotic animals like Lions.

Chinese on here have double standards. you won't see them posting negative news or criticizing their own country and people :agree:

some more 'evil'

China: Tortured mother bear kills her cub and then herself | Daily Mail Online

fucked up, humans should stick to killing each other

dentist guy should be skinned alive, and his kids should die of leukemia

chinese kill 100 million sharks and countless other animals to feed their bizarre food habits yet lecture others...

I'm against killing animals for sport especially endangered exotic animals like Lions.

Chinese on here have double standards. you won't see them posting negative news or criticizing their own country and people :agree:

some more 'evil'

China: Tortured mother bear kills her cub and then herself | Daily Mail Online

I actually have a lot of respect for people who are able to constructively criticize their fellow countrymen and country if needed. This guy is an American and I think he's disgusting. I have no problem saying that.

Despite the obvious double standards by some (and very clear posting narrative behind this) this is a sad story. When I first saw it on one of the national news channels, I got really angry.

Lions are such incredibly beautiful creatures.

I wish we could send them some poisoned samples. Crazy motherfuckers

Education is key. Too many newly rich fcukers withh too much money and too little education and low depth of character leads to yearning for items they deem as rich and classy.

Have you ever read the old english book 'king solomons mine'? Its fictional but also based one the hunting practices of Europeans in Africa at the time.

Education is key. Too many newly rich fcukers withh too much money and too little education and low depth of character leads to yearning for items they deem as rich and classy.

Have you ever read the old english book 'king solomons mine'? Its fictional but also based one the hunting practices of Europeans in Africa at the time.
I don't think conspicuous consumption is driving the Chinese market.
China's Expanding Middle Class Fuels Poaching, Decadence in Myanmar

The state department should offer him F@k all counselling, he should be thrown to the lions.

Hi,

I like to hunt if I can---but to shoot a Lion with an arrow---that was inhumane.

chinese kill 100 million sharks and countless other animals to feed their bizarre food habits yet lecture others...

Why be an Indian? :(

Top Nations Killing & Finning Sharks
The Top 20 shark catchers in descending order are: Indonesia, India, Spain, Taiwan, Argentina, Mexico, United States of America, Malaysia, Pakistan, Brazil, Japan, France, New Zealand, Thailand, Portugal, Nigeria, Islamic Republic of Iran, Sri Lanka, Republic of Korea, Yemen.

Top Nations Killing & Finning Sharks | Shark Stewards

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom