What's new

Afghanistan must share power with Taliban, says Musharraf

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW YORK: Former President Pervez Musharraf has said Kabul must share power with the extremist group Taliban and block Indian influence if it wants peace in the country.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal published here on Wednesday, he said that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s September inauguration presented a new opportunity for reconciliation between the government and Taliban and related insurgent groups.

“Ashraf Ghani is a balanced man,” he said. “I think he’s a great hope.” Pakistan and India must stay away and avoid engaging in proxy war, he said.

Take a look: ISI cultivated Taliban to counter Indian action against Pakistan: Musharraf

The retired general said that India had provided weapons, training and equipment to ethnic Baloch separatists inside Afghanistan. He said that US and its allies had consistently failed to consider Pakistan’s concerns, forcing Islamabad to rely on other militant groups inside Afghanistan to prop up its interests.

The WSJ said given his close links to defence and intelligence officials, Mr Musharraf’s remarks offered a window into official Pakistani thinking on the peace process, a policy that was often obscured by careful diplomatic language.

Mr Musharraf also acknowledged in the interview — rare for a top Pakistani official, even a former one — that India and Pakistan had been engaged in a long-running proxy war on Afghan soil that fed the conflict. But, he said, his and Islamabad’s role in nurturing the Taliban and allied militant groups operating in Afghanistan were a legitimate counterweight against its rival India there.

“There are enemies of Pakistan that have to be countered,” he said. “Certainly if there’s an enemy of mine, I will use somebody to counter him.”

Syed Akbaruddin, spokesman for India’s Ministry of External Affairs, told WSJ: “We don’t need to respond to voices from the wilderness. Such voices just try to occupy news space.”

“The world must realise that we may not like the face of Mullah Omar…but that is how life is, that is what Afghanistan is,” said Mr Musharraf.

His remarks come as Mr Ghani’s administration plays up hopes that Afghan officials will be able to negotiate with the Taliban leadership in the coming weeks.

But he said those groups were an instrument to counter India’s influence on the ground in Afghanistan and insisted that former US President George W. Bush “knew that I am not playing a double game” with Washington.

Afghanistan must share power with Taliban, says Musharraf - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

And this is only viable and long term solution to Afghan. As long afghanistan is not secure from other countries invasions pakistan will never be safe. So

1: Their Central govt needed to be strong
2: Army needed to be strong. They should start getting training from PA and weaponry should not be the problem as Pakistan is one of the exporters and also they will be needing Airforce and Pakistan might be able to cover this area. It will increase the confidence level as both countries have almost same history and culture.

if it doesn't work dig a trench along the border

Importantly, is the taliban willing to share power in a democratic set up.? Musharraf must be cuckoo if he believes they do..

Yes Make Mullah Omar Vice President.

Is there any other option which the whole world could not think of since 2001? And I would say if he accepts being a VP, that would be a great gesture from him to bring peace to Afghanistan. He has nothing to lose if he does not comply with our wishes and also considering once he was sole ruler of major part of Afghanistan.

Why not apply the same logic to the regions under the influence of Taliban in Pakistan?

londonlifecoach-monkey.png

NEW YORK: Former President Pervez Musharraf has said Kabul must share power with the extremist group Taliban and block Indian influence if it wants peace in the country.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal published here on Wednesday, he said that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s September inauguration presented a new opportunity for reconciliation between the government and Taliban and related insurgent groups.

“Ashraf Ghani is a balanced man,” he said. “I think he’s a great hope.” Pakistan and India must stay away and avoid engaging in proxy war, he said.

Take a look: ISI cultivated Taliban to counter Indian action against Pakistan: Musharraf

The retired general said that India had provided weapons, training and equipment to ethnic Baloch separatists inside Afghanistan. He said that US and its allies had consistently failed to consider Pakistan’s concerns, forcing Islamabad to rely on other militant groups inside Afghanistan to prop up its interests.

The WSJ said given his close links to defence and intelligence officials, Mr Musharraf’s remarks offered a window into official Pakistani thinking on the peace process, a policy that was often obscured by careful diplomatic language.

Mr Musharraf also acknowledged in the interview — rare for a top Pakistani official, even a former one — that India and Pakistan had been engaged in a long-running proxy war on Afghan soil that fed the conflict. But, he said, his and Islamabad’s role in nurturing the Taliban and allied militant groups operating in Afghanistan were a legitimate counterweight against its rival India there.

“There are enemies of Pakistan that have to be countered,” he said. “Certainly if there’s an enemy of mine, I will use somebody to counter him.”

Syed Akbaruddin, spokesman for India’s Ministry of External Affairs, told WSJ: “We don’t need to respond to voices from the wilderness. Such voices just try to occupy news space.”

“The world must realise that we may not like the face of Mullah Omar…but that is how life is, that is what Afghanistan is,” said Mr Musharraf.

His remarks come as Mr Ghani’s administration plays up hopes that Afghan officials will be able to negotiate with the Taliban leadership in the coming weeks.

But he said those groups were an instrument to counter India’s influence on the ground in Afghanistan and insisted that former US President George W. Bush “knew that I am not playing a double game” with Washington.

Hy,he gave his best shot.

And he is still trying to get some attention like a old ***re

Afganistan became a complete enemy in his tenure . Im glad that now ghani is at helm and is working closely with Pakistan to get rid of this negativity ......

so should pakistan, there should be people nominated by ttp in pak govt along with the elected leaders..

thank god he is out of power ,otherwise he would have shared power with TTP.

Wonder how that would have panned out...pakistan would have had a much better and bigger jihadi force in their hands to wreak havoc in their neighborhood. ..

They gave their best shot recently under nawz...wanted desperately to talk to the ttp and were even eager to give in to their demands.

But it failed..which is as much the destiny lying in wait in trying to get the afghan version of ttp to get into some sort of legal kabul government.

This is the only viable solution for long term stability of Afghanistan. Regardless of what Pakistan thinks, the Afghan Taliban command solid support among Afghan Pashtoons who just happen to be the Majority.

Only country that has a problem with this solution is the Hindutva regime in New Delhi, therefore we must watch their circus stunts very carefully.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom