What's new

Afghan Taliban capture Pakistani soldiers in cross border attack

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Dozens of Pakistani troops 'captured by the Taliban'

The Afghan Taliban says it has captured dozens of Pakistani soldiers after attacking their checkpoint in a cross-border raid.

Pakistani security sources confirm some troops are missing.

The Taliban says it is holding up to 40 Pakistani troops after its raid in the Mohmand tribal area on Monday.

Afghan officials said eight soldiers had been handed over to the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad, but Pakistan's army said it had no knowledge of this.
Checkpoint 'over-run'

The BBC's M Ilyas Khan says that while attacks by the Taliban on border check posts are relatively routine, it is unusual for Pakistani soldiers to be held by the militants in Afghanistan.
map

A Taliban spokesman told the BBC that it was in fact holding Pakistani troops on both sides of the border after Monday's attack.

It said 30 soldiers were being held in Afghanistan and 10 in Pakistan.

The Taliban says it captured the soldiers after over-running the checkpoint.

Local officials in the Mohmand area confirmed to the BBC that about 40 soldiers were unaccounted for.

Pakistani security sources said on Monday an undisclosed number of troops were missing.

An Afghan army commander in Jalalabad told the BBC that 10 Pakistani soldiers had been handed over to the Pakistani consulate, although the Pakistani army said it was not aware of this.

'Baseless propaganda'

Meanwhile, the Afghan Taliban have dismissed the findings of a report which says Pakistan's intelligence service had a direct role in supporting the insurgents.
Taliban militants in Pakistan The Taliban remain strong on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border

In an e-mail sent to the BBC, the Taliban said the report was "baseless propaganda".

The report, compiled by a London School of Economics scholar, said Pakistani intelligence provided funding, training and sanctuaries to the Taliban on a much greater scale than previously thought.

"The Islamic Emirate considers this report of the London School of Economics as merely baseless propaganda," the letter said.

The Taliban have also denied reports that their fighters hanged a seven-year-old boy last week on charges of spying in Afghanistan's Helmand province.

"After a full investigation by the Islamic Emirate leadership, it became clear that no event of execution had taken place," a Taliban statement said.

The Taliban criticised journalists for misreporting the event.

BBC News - Dozens of Pakistani troops 'captured by the Taliban'

The Afghan Taliban says it has captured dozens of Pakistani soldiers after attacking their checkpoint in a cross-border raid.

Pakistani security sources confirm some troops are missing.

The Taliban says it is holding up to 40 Pakistani troops after its raid in the Mohmand tribal area on Monday.

Afghan officials said eight soldiers had been handed over to the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad, but Pakistan's army said it had no knowledge of this.
Checkpoint 'over-run'

The BBC's M Ilyas Khan says that while attacks by the Taliban on border check posts are relatively routine, it is unusual for Pakistani soldiers to be held by the militants in Afghanistan.
map

A Taliban spokesman told the BBC that it was in fact holding Pakistani troops on both sides of the border after Monday's attack.

It said 30 soldiers were being held in Afghanistan and 10 in Pakistan.

The Taliban says it captured the soldiers after over-running the checkpoint.

Local officials in the Mohmand area confirmed to the BBC that about 40 soldiers were unaccounted for.

Pakistani security sources said on Monday an undisclosed number of troops were missing.

An Afghan army commander in Jalalabad told the BBC that 10 Pakistani soldiers had been handed over to the Pakistani consulate, although the Pakistani army said it was not aware of this.

'Baseless propaganda'

Meanwhile, the Afghan Taliban have dismissed the findings of a report which says Pakistan's intelligence service had a direct role in supporting the insurgents.
Taliban militants in Pakistan The Taliban remain strong on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border

In an e-mail sent to the BBC, the Taliban said the report was "baseless propaganda".

The report, compiled by a London School of Economics scholar, said Pakistani intelligence provided funding, training and sanctuaries to the Taliban on a much greater scale than previously thought.

"The Islamic Emirate considers this report of the London School of Economics as merely baseless propaganda," the letter said.

The Taliban have also denied reports that their fighters hanged a seven-year-old boy last week on charges of spying in Afghanistan's Helmand province.

"After a full investigation by the Islamic Emirate leadership, it became clear that no event of execution had taken place," a Taliban statement said.

The Taliban criticised journalists for misreporting the event.

BBC News - Dozens of Pakistani troops 'captured by the Taliban'

Feel sorry for the soldiers ..hope no harm would come to them..

I find this interesting..why should a Talibani leader dismisses such a report?? :woot:

Last edited:
According to my reports the attack took place day before yesterday on a Pakistani check posts from Afghanistan. The attack was administered by Afghan National Army leading fighters from TTP.

Few Pakistani soldiers were also killed in the attack.

According to my reports the attack took place day before yesterday on a Pakistani check posts from Afghanistan. The attack was administered by Afghan National Army leading fighters from TTP.

Dont rant here with out further evidence to back up your claims...The report says Afgan Taliban..didnt know that ANA consits of Afgan Taliban ..

Feel sorry for the soldiers ..hope no harm would come to them..

I find this interesting..why should a Talibani leader dismisses such a report :woot:

They also dismiss reports of Indian involvement all the time as well.

Perhaps time to take out some targets in Afghanistan using PAF.

my i ask who has reported this? cuz this report is very different from bbc. hope soldiers are safe and sound.

I think it would not be problem if these soldiers are captured by real Afghan taliban :coffee:
They would behead Pakistani Soldiers as they have done in the past (there are plenty of videos online).They're no one's friend except themselves.On a side note Army should provide more artillery and heavy mortar guns to remote bases so in case they get outnumbered they can at least take these fuckers out.

@ Jana :

I think this event took place on Monday.

There was an attack on a check post in Mohmand. The Taliban spokesman claimed that they had taken around 10 soldiers hostage. FC denied this. However, a report yesterday said that 10 troops had returned from captivity of the militants.

my i ask who has reported this? cuz this report is very different from bbc. hope soldiers are safe and sound.i am alittle bit confused, did the afghani taliban attack pakistani soldiers? if yes then how come the soldiers ended up being in pakistani cosulate?

Ahmad check this from the same BBC report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/10329806.stm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom