What's new

Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft [AMCA] Development | Updates & Discussions.

What is the status of the program and how much money India spend on this program?
Can drdo complete the program in a time frame?

At out current Def budget 55bil aproxx... It seems hard to develop to true 5th Gen, within a few years when the budget crosses 70 odd bil [2019 -2020 ] I guess . They might start the project will full force.
If this programme is handled by the new gen of engineers like with the HTT40, THERE might be a chance, otherwise idk

( before anyone kills me over this post NOT A PRO AT DEFENCE, )

At out current Def budget 55bil aproxx... It seems hard to develop to true 5th Gen, within a few years when the budget crosses 70 odd bil [2019 -2020 ] I guess . They might start the project will full force.
If this programme is handled by the new gen of engineers like with the HTT40, THERE might be a chance, otherwise idk

Defence budget has absolutely nothing to do with 'development' of a project.....for eg, govt allocates fund for development of Tejas and not IAF from their own fund except some exceptional cases.

Shouldn't worry too much about the budget after all we are home of 75 million dollar MARS Mission.

AMCA Mission Simulator

amca.png

Can anyone tell about progress on AMCA front...I believe design is frozen and we are working on first TD...true?

http://idrw.org/iaf-take-final-call-amcas-engine-drdo-chief/#more-100402
IAF to take final call on AMCA’s engine : DRDO Chief
DRDO Chief Dr S Christopher speaking to media has confirmed that Defence ministry in principal has given clearance to India’s 5th generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) fighter jet which is a twin-engine fighter jet with stealth technology .

Chief also confirmed that necessary precaution has been taken to avoid the repeat of mistakes which plagued LCA-Tejas program and key industries have been identified for the supply of systems, sub-assemblies and components.

when it comes to the selection of engine to power AMCA Chief said that final call will be taken by Indian Air Force, But discussions are already on with potential collaborators for design and manufacture of these engines in the country.

Washington has signaled its willingness to co-develop aircraft engine with India for India’s indigenous fifth-generation AMCA fighter project . DRDO want General Electric Aviation (GE) to uprate its 98 KiloNewtons (KN) GE-F414IN engine to produce 110 KN of thrust to meets AMCA twin engine requirements .

European Eurojet too has offered its Uprated EJ200 engines for India’s AMCA fighter jet which are currently been used to power Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets and have briefed DRDO officials but has met with lukewarm response from Indian defence ministry till now.

India’s GTRE too is silently also working on development of a Kaveri engine derivative which can generate 80 KiloNewtons (KN) of peak power which in later phases will be uprated to 90 KiloNewtons (KN) ultimately leading to development of 110 KiloNewtons (KN) for which GTRE already has made plans to produce 20 80 KN engines in next 3-4 years for testing purpose .

Suddenly AMCA is finding a lot of traction.

Is the govt backing the project completely, hence the traction or is it run of the mill process?

Agree with Al 41 but they just want 120Kn thrust. And in twin engine configuration reliability is not too much of an issue.
Plus they need TVC... Has GE414 EPE GOT any tvc cousins?

Agree with Al 41 but they just want 120Kn thrust. And in twin engine configuration reliability is not too much of an issue.
Plus they need TVC... Has GE414 EPE GOT any tvc cousins?
Reliability absolutely IS an issue as it directly relates to the TBO and lifespan of the engine not to mention availbility of the fleet in general. The AL-31, despite costing only 30% less than a M88 or EJ-2000 these more modern engines are able to deliver 300-400% greater lifespans and barely require any overhauls at all. Engine issues are the greatest cause of fighters being u/s or AOG, reduce the issues with reliability and you will have greater availability of the fleet at all times.

It's time to migrate to Western tech IMO if India is going to operate its kit to Western margins (ie high tempo peace time operations).

Last edited:
Back in 2012, snecma and GOI tried to JV to build an engine to be used on LCA. GOI wanted to use Kaveri hot-core, so they could build on what they learned from Kaveri. Snecma wanted to use M88 core and GOI couldn't get the French to come on board the project.

Today is a different story, not only Snecma will help DRDO/GTRE finish Kaveri project but they will invest 1 billion Euros. Snecma/GTRE will take 2-3 years to finish the job.

You can be absolutely sure, there will be uprated version to it. Who knows, maybe AMCA engine is also on the card, maybe not in the beginning but you will see it in future versions.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom