A small Yemen in India

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Updated: October 13, 2015 14:34 IST
A small Yemen in India - The Hindu

26-year-old Yemeni student Adam Sawab has made a documentary titled 'Barkas – A Small Yemen in India'.
When 26-year-old Yemeni student Adam Sawab joined Osmania University in mid-2013 to study journalism, he would often hear people talk about a Yemeni community residing in the city. Soon enough, his curiosity took him to Barkas, where he discovered that many of its residents were descendants of Yemeni soldiers employed in the Nizam government.

“I go there whenever I am free. When I am in Barkas, I feel that it is like home,” says Adam, who is from Ibb city in Yemen, which he describes as the “green province” of his home country. And to show this part of Hyderabad to his countrymen back home, he has made a documentary titled ‘Barkas – A Small Yemen in India’ as part of his course.

The project, which Adam started early this year, has even won offers to be aired on television in Yemen. “I got a few calls from channels, but I don’t want to air my documentary on channels affiliated to political parties,” he mentions, adding that the existence of Yemenis in India is not much known back in his country. His documentary, completed in just a few months, was submitted as part of his course’s project.

“I met many people in Barkas and they are very happy. But the main thing is that they have managed to preserve their customs,” explains Adam. He, however, points out quickly that though the older generation speaks fluent Arabic, youngsters in Barkas cannot. “I like the Yemeni kindness in Indian atmosphere here,” he says, when asked what he found to be most striking.

Adam’s documentary also throws light on interesting facts about the Yemenis settled here for centuries. Inhabited mainly by members of the Chaush community, who are direct descendants of the Hadhrami - military men in the Hadhramaut region in Yemen, there are 52 Yemeni tribes in Hyderabad, explains Adam.

Some of the Yemeni tribes settled here are those of Al-Saadi, Al-Nahdi, Al-Yamani, Barabaa, Al-aidroos and Al-Saadi. “During the time of the Nizam’s rule, the Arab population here increased and slowly settled mainly in the Army barracks, now Barkas, on the outskirts of the city,” observes Adam.

Adam states that there are over three lakh Yemenis settled here in India, in cities such as Aurangabad, Hyderabad and other places. He is yet to decide how to screen his documentary back in Yemen. “I have not uploaded it online as there is still some editing to be done,” he quips.

just keep saudis away from it

These are arabian tribes and if research is done then we can find even Saudi, emirati and Omani tribes living in India.

Even Bani Hashem tribes are there in India who belongs to the tribe of Prophet Muhammed. Bani Adi tribes of Caliph Umar.

These are arabian tribes and if research is done then we can find even Saudi, emirati and Omani tribes living in India.

Even Bani Hashem tribes are there in India who belongs to the tribe of Prophet Muhammed. Bani Adi tribes of Caliph Umar.

it was just a joke, based on you know what

Who will save these stateless Arab tribes after the CAA and NRC in India from genocide by the RSS?

Updated: October 13, 2015 14:34 IST
A small Yemen in India - The Hindu

26-year-old Yemeni student Adam Sawab has made a documentary titled 'Barkas – A Small Yemen in India'.
When 26-year-old Yemeni student Adam Sawab joined Osmania University in mid-2013 to study journalism, he would often hear people talk about a Yemeni community residing in the city. Soon enough, his curiosity took him to Barkas, where he discovered that many of its residents were descendants of Yemeni soldiers employed in the Nizam government.

“I go there whenever I am free. When I am in Barkas, I feel that it is like home,” says Adam, who is from Ibb city in Yemen, which he describes as the “green province” of his home country. And to show this part of Hyderabad to his countrymen back home, he has made a documentary titled ‘Barkas – A Small Yemen in India’ as part of his course.

The project, which Adam started early this year, has even won offers to be aired on television in Yemen. “I got a few calls from channels, but I don’t want to air my documentary on channels affiliated to political parties,” he mentions, adding that the existence of Yemenis in India is not much known back in his country. His documentary, completed in just a few months, was submitted as part of his course’s project.

“I met many people in Barkas and they are very happy. But the main thing is that they have managed to preserve their customs,” explains Adam. He, however, points out quickly that though the older generation speaks fluent Arabic, youngsters in Barkas cannot. “I like the Yemeni kindness in Indian atmosphere here,” he says, when asked what he found to be most striking.

Adam’s documentary also throws light on interesting facts about the Yemenis settled here for centuries. Inhabited mainly by members of the Chaush community, who are direct descendants of the Hadhrami - military men in the Hadhramaut region in Yemen, there are 52 Yemeni tribes in Hyderabad, explains Adam.

Some of the Yemeni tribes settled here are those of Al-Saadi, Al-Nahdi, Al-Yamani, Barabaa, Al-aidroos and Al-Saadi. “During the time of the Nizam’s rule, the Arab population here increased and slowly settled mainly in the Army barracks, now Barkas, on the outskirts of the city,” observes Adam.

Adam states that there are over three lakh Yemenis settled here in India, in cities such as Aurangabad, Hyderabad and other places. He is yet to decide how to screen his documentary back in Yemen. “I have not uploaded it online as there is still some editing to be done,” he quips.
Any pictures of the city and people would be appreciated.

Somebody was suggesting to send IMAFT to secure the Muslim areas in India from the most apparent genocide of the 21st century.
Raheel Sharif does not have the balls to try- The alliance is only good to go after ISIL/ISIS- Thanks for playing.

Raheel Sharif does not have the balls to try- The alliance is only good to go after ISIL/ISIS- Thanks for playing.

OIC will probably discuss this issue as well. Hopefully soon a mechanism can be formed regarding protection of heritage sites for Muslims in India.

Indian muslims love to tell such tails of grand lineage. To some extent they are true. But such concept doesn't exist in Islam. They are locals actually. They might have been converted by people from those tribes or married into one. Or in very rare cases one of their family members migrated and married locally. That's why they can make the connection. It can be true and it cannot be true.
Let's not go into that. Celebrate what we are. No matter whatever the family name of cast or ethnicity we are same in Islam. Indians and pakistani Muslims only have this severe problem that adopted by living with Hindus of this vast system where some prefer or hate some cast and others consider some cast higher or above. No such thing exits in Islam and if we do practice its local area issue and we must discourage it.
You should also discourage cast and biggotry in hinduism though It forms the basics of your religion sadly.

OIC will probably discuss this issue as well. Hopefully soon a mechanism can be formed regarding protection of heritage sites for Muslims in India.
They should do it- Indian Muslims are already protecting them-Just an FYI.

They should do it- Indian Muslims are already protecting them-Just an FYI.

It is either OIC or the Houthis that may come and save this little Yemen in India from RSS.

Interesting times ahead.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom