What's new

A Question About High Command Promotions in Pak Army Rank

nvra911

New Recruit

Reaction score
I want to know whether in Pakistani Army, an officer from a Brigadier rank can be directly promoted to a Lt. General rank by skipping the rank or Maj. General?

Does anyone know if it has has ever happened and is there a name that anyone can tell me who has had this accelerated promotion?

This question came up in a discussion I was having with my Dad and he was of the opinion that he's heard somewhere of this having happened.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I don't suppose soo bt i am not sure....
well i didnot ever heard about such counter example...
an info seniors???:unsure:

Dere is nothing such like dat........
Only a Lt Col can skip Full Colonel Rank and gets Brigadier Rank......

I want to know whether in Pakistani Army, an officer from a Brigadier rank can be directly promoted to a Lt. General rank by skipping the rank or Maj. General?

Does anyone know if it has has ever happened and is there a name that anyone can tell me who has had this accelerated promotion?

This question came up in a discussion I was having with my Dad and he was of the opinion that he's heard somewhere of this having happened.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

it has not happened.

Think it happened in Pakistan Navy.

To the best of my info Commodore Hassan Hafiz Ahmad was ComPak when promoted to Command Pakistan Navy in March 1972 with the rank of Vice Admiral by ZA Bhutto soon after he took over as the only civilian Martial Law Administrator of Pakistan.

Any ex PN officer, please comment.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I finally found out who we were talking about. It was Lt. Gen. (R) Syed Athar Ali. He was promoted to Maj. Gen. in 2000 and then to Lt. Gen. in 2004.

The confusion happened because of his tenure in the UNAMSIL - Sierra Leon deployment. There he went as a Maj. Gen. and served as the 'Deputy Force Commander" and the confusion was that he was 'Force Commander' which is usually a Lt. Gen. position.

Thanks for the input guys.

A new Major General can be promoted to Lt General directly.

The DG ISI was changed last year after Lt Gen Shuja Pasha served his term. There were 5 nominations for the new DG, 4 of them were Lt Generals and 1 was a Major General. If the Major General was elected, then he would be promoted to Lt General even if it was some time for his promotion from Brigadier to Major General. This is possible.

As for the original question of Brigadier getting promotion to Lt General, this might happen if you have close and personal relations with the Army Chief but would be a very wrong thing to do.

In the Pak Army, there are many cases where officers are not promoted to higher ranks due to favoritism and politics. The senior command may find it very easy to sign a decision over their files but it severely affects the lifestyles and future of a family and its generations to come. This is no new topic, there have been countless such incidents where Merit was overtaken by personal relation and liking for a senior promotion. Why doesn't the senior command have a transparent criteria set for a promotion from Brigadier to Maj-Gen level? What special analytical skills are required to decide the fate of a handful of selected people? If a person has met all the criteria, but was unfortunate enough for not being able to play golf with a corp commander, or his children were not best friends with the commander's children. Only recently I jut came across such a case, where the officer was a fellow deserving a 2 star promotion but was superseded by his junior who was famous in the corp for manipulation and politics. Why wasn't merit truly considered here?

Back
Top Bottom