What's new

8 Chinese submarines approval & used western subs talks

The point is, of course, that the Portugese never had any 209s and didn't get 209/1400/1500 with AIP either.

The point is, of course, that the Portugese never had any 209s and didn't get 209/1400/1500 with AIP either.
No, they have ordered the "upgraded version of the 209" which is the 214, but they still wanted to name it 209PN for some reason or another!
What do you think of the U-214 vs the Qing class 041 submarines?

@The SC & @Penguin

If the Portuguese Navy PN ordered the 209 but got the 214 then is it possible to say that this was a sub designed to test the 214.

What is evident from the picture there is a hump in the front section but it is not as prominent as the original 209's.

IF Pakistan does decide to purchase the Turkish 209's (Atılay-class ) then what will be the cost to get it updated with AIP. and how much time would it take?

@The SC & @Penguin

If the Portuguese Navy PN ordered the 209 but got the 214 then is it possible to say that this was a sub designed to test the 214.

What is evident from the picture there is a hump in the front section but it is not as prominent as the original 209's.

IF Pakistan does decide to purchase the Turkish 209's (Atılay-class ) then what will be the cost to get it updated with AIP. and how much time would it take?
It still is a 214 rather than a modified 209 but I get your drift. IN reference to the last question, both in the Greek and Portugese cases, there were a lot of problems with the initial 214. And a lot of palm grease. And a lot of negotiation and haggling over who owes what to whom. So it is very difficult to actually work out a cost figure. However, one can state an upper limit: the shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a 214.

In February 2000 the Skaramangas Shipyards signed an agreement with Ferrostaal Essen and HDW Kiel for the building of three Type 214 submarines, with an option for the construction of one more. The total cost of the contract for the submarines comes to 430 billion drachmas, with offset benefits for Greek industries amounting to some 76 billion drachmas, or 19 percent of the contract. That is about 1,26 billion Euro for 3 or a bit of 406 million Euro per boat at todays rates.

I would not think it acceptable if adding AIP to an U209 comes to more than half that amount, including modernization beyond AIP

The upgrade for the Shishumar class of submarines is likely to be cleared at the earliest. It will be a major capability enhancement over the current weapon complement that consists of torpedoes and mines. The upgrade for two of the four submarines of the class with the Navy is likely to cost under Rs 1,000 crore, which will include the purchase of nearly 100 Harpoon missiles from the US
Navy set to upgrade, boost existing fleet : TOP NEWS

@The SC & @Penguin

It is also about which AIP technology to go, If Pakistan wants to upgrade the Turkish 209, the best choice would be the Chinese Stirling engine, since acquiring the French MESMA again might be complicated if not refused.
Pakistan has the know-how for installing the AIP system so it should not cost it much...

It still is a 214 rather than a modified 209 but I get your drift. IN reference to the last question, both in the Greek and Portugese cases, there were a lot of problems with the initial 214. And a lot of palm grease. And a lot of negotiation and haggling over who owes what to whom. So it is very difficult to actually work out a cost figure. However, one can state an upper limit: the shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a 214.

In February 2000 the Skaramangas Shipyards signed an agreement with Ferrostaal Essen and HDW Kiel for the building of three Type 214 submarines, with an option for the construction of one more. The total cost of the contract for the submarines comes to 430 billion drachmas, with offset benefits for Greek industries amounting to some 76 billion drachmas, or 19 percent of the contract. That is about 1,26 billion Euro for 3 or a bit of 406 million Euro per boat at todays rates.

I would not think it acceptable if adding AIP to an U209 comes to more than half that amount, including modernization beyond AIP

Navy set to upgrade, boost existing fleet : TOP NEWS
Considering the $8-10 Bln for the Subs it might be highly likely that Pakistan might be after the Type U-214. If it costs 500mil per boat then 4 are still possible with $2bil. With the remaining $8bil Pakistan might be getting more than the Type -041.

I not so SURE but I THINK so!
That they PN plans of producing their own Nuclear submarine might be based on S-20 design but might weigh around 7000 Tons when submerged. And it might have some Ballistic Missile capability as well.

I think if GoP will give PN the money which it needs then the submerged fleet will look like in 15 year:
5-7 SSBNs
20-25 SSKs
12+ Coastal SSKs

So how much does S-20 Displaced?

What Western sub Pakistan interested in France is only one who can sell along with Germany in future might be ru Asia too

So is the deal signed for 8 submarines because i cant seem to find any news related to it on TV channels.

Does any one knows what will be the time span of the deliveries once the deal is struck?
And exactly what are the secondhand options we are looking at?

So is the deal signed for 8 submarines because i cant seem to find any news related to it on TV channels.
There is no news of any Defence Deal signed I think either they are not signed or we are hiding few things

There is no news of any Defence Deal signed I think either they are not signed or we are hiding few things

Either way i dont understand the logic behind it because just before the Chinese president landed in Pakistan, every news channel was reporting defense deals of 8 submarines. All the defense analyst were also highlighting the importance of this deal and than nothing. The channels have stopped as well.

So is it safe to assume we havent signed deal yet?

Either way i dont understand the logic behind it because just before the Chinese president landed in Pakistan, every news channel was reporting defense deals of 8 submarines. All the defense analyst were also highlighting the importance of this deal and than nothing. The channels have stopped as well.

So is it safe to assume we havent signed deal yet?
I don't think so we are hiding some deals for some reason lately Pakistan has started to hide most defence procurement specially from China no news came of SH-1 and A-100 and we have them too

Back
Top Bottom