What's new

8 Bizarre Pakistani Food Items We Dare you to Eat

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistanis rarely shy away from a challenge. We prefer our molehills to appear like mountains. And when it comes to food, everything is fair game. With Eid ul Azha 2016 just around the corner, let’s take a look at some of the most bizarre Pakistani food items we cook and serve at our tables.

1) MAGHAZ

Perhaps the only item on this list, yours truly has eaten, just the sight of brain masala is enough to send shivers down your spine. The creaminess of brains, mixed with spicy kerhai masala is actually very delicious. However not really sure if it makes you any more intelligent.

Brain-Masala.jpg

2) KALEEJI

I know what you’re thinking. This item isn’t bizarre enough. However surely there are plenty of people out there like me who cannot stand the thought of chomping down liver. Yes, it is said to be very good for health but the texture of liver and the smell too keeps me miles away.

Kaleeji.jpg

3) BUTTAIN

My relatives pride themselves on making something from this organ. I, on the other hand wasn’t sure which organ this was and when searched, honestly wasn’t too pleased with the result. Buttain refer to the inside of a cow’s stomach. Usually served in a curry, the texture of Buttain is similar to a towel. That alone made me politely decline this particular Pakistani food item.

Pakistani-food-buttain.jpg

4) KAPOORAY

Didn’t have too much fun searching for this dish, I’ll be honest. The lengths I go to for an article surprise me. Kapooray are made from testicles, usually from a goat. Why anyone would want to eat them is beyond me. Still you pay for your sacrificial animal you might as well get your money’s worth.

Pakistani-food-item.jpg

5) KHATAKHAT

Now things are really getting out of hand. If the items above weren’t bizarre enough, here is a dish that is a mixture of all the organs of an animal. Kidneys, brains, testicles, you name it, this dish has it all. Other than the sound the cook makes with his spatulas, nothing about Khatakhat is pretty.

Khatakhat.jpg

6) FEET

No stranger to paye, we Pakistanis also have a dish called Panjo ka soup, and when looked up is a dish made entirely up from chicken claws. Why, I do not know. Those claws are nothing short of a nightmare, why anyone would make a soup out of them is beyond me.

chicken-feet-soup.jpg

7) TONGUE

Ours are already very long. But that doesn’t stop us from indulging in a cold cut of an animal’s tongue. Said to be a delicacy, Lord knows why, these are mostly served in sandwiches. Their texture is velvety and a dollop of mayo would probably make it a wholesome meal for someone more daring perhaps.

Tongue.jpg

8) THE HEAD

No, this isn’t like the brains. This is the actual head of an animal. The dish known as Mundi Salan offers diners a chance to have the entire head of a goat served in a curry. Again I do not know why.

Mundi-Salan.jpg

Being a total chicken, I have not and will not try anything on this list save one. Which dishes have you tried or want to try?

Man we humans can be really cruel sometimes i mean eating feets, balls... :bad:

How is it cruel? You have killed an animal, might as well use every part of it.

It would be cruel to throw away that which can be consumed (or at least feed it to some other animal).....as you are not properly honouring the animal's sacrificing its life (in my opinion).

I have eaten all of them minus 7th tongue, don't tell me only Pakistanis eat these?
It's common around the world.

Bheja, or Brain curry (goat/lamb) is found in commonly in most Indian cities, I have eaten goat liver curry, and it's pretty good, I am not sure about the testicles and the feet, I have never seen it in Indian street food.

Bull testicles are famous here in the US, especially in some state fair and at the Sturgis it's quite famous as the Rocky Mountain Oysters. I know that chicken feet is used in quite a few oriental entrees, Beef Tongue or Ox Tongue tacos are quite famous in mexican cusine.

Beef Stomach lining shown looks like tripe... Tripe is quite common in Vietnamese, (Pho) Cambodian (phnom penh noodles). I also know of Goat intestines being used in India and Bangladesh in some curry style thing.

Man we humans can be really cruel sometimes i mean eating feets, balls... :bad:

Back in the day, especially for nomadic tribes, it was imperative to ensure all parts of the animal was used. As times goes by some of the idiosyncrasies of cooking practices are identified with the culture, fast forward about a thousand years and those traditions become the signature food of the region. It is actually quite fascinating and imho such traditions should be preserved. They represent where we came from.

How is it cruel? You have killed an animal, might as well use every part of it.

It would be cruel to throw away that which can be consumed (or at least feed it to some other animal).....as you are not properly honouring the animal's sacrificing its life (in my opinion).

Back in the day, especially for nomadic tribes, it was imperative to ensure all parts of the animal was used. As times goes by some of the idiosyncrasies of cooking practices are identified with the culture, fast forward about a thousand years and those traditions become the signature food of the region. It is actually quite fascinating and imho such traditions should be preserved. They represent where we came from.
Maybe you guys are right it would be cruel to throw it away but how one can eat testicles! :bad: just think about it for a moment....

Maybe you guys are right it would be cruel to throw it away but how one can eat testicles! :bad: just think about it for a moment....
I know where you are coming from, I have issues with gizzards, and organs but not because of the organ but because of the texture. I don't come across situations where I am offered organs I am adventurous and i will try everything once. tripe i don't eat because of the texture but I have tried it, tongue tacos I have tried them, if made well, they are not too bad, Goat Liver Masala I do like especially the one of my roommate used to make back in college day, she was an amazing cook. I never did try Bheja in India, I would try it just to see what the fuss is all about, testicles grosses me out a bit, but you know If I do go to sturgis next year, I will try it. Chicken feet nah.

I have had brain, Liver, Kat-a-Kat and Tongue Burger from Hanifia in Karachi, and i loved them

I havn't had No.3, 4, 6 and 8 but i am willing to try 3 &8 but not the testicles or chicken feet

Had all of then except kapooray....
And these ain't cooked like this in Pakistan neither tongue, nor feet, kapooray or head...

Threads like these sometimes forces me to go vegan(or at least think about it).

Those chicken feets looks cute. But why have they cooked em?:o:

Pakistanis rarely shy away from a challenge. We prefer our molehills to appear like mountains. And when it comes to food, everything is fair game. With Eid ul Azha 2016 just around the corner, let’s take a look at some of the most bizarre Pakistani food items we cook and serve at our tables.

1) MAGHAZ

Perhaps the only item on this list, yours truly has eaten, just the sight of brain masala is enough to send shivers down your spine. The creaminess of brains, mixed with spicy kerhai masala is actually very delicious. However not really sure if it makes you any more intelligent.

Brain-Masala.jpg

2) KALEEJI

I know what you’re thinking. This item isn’t bizarre enough. However surely there are plenty of people out there like me who cannot stand the thought of chomping down liver. Yes, it is said to be very good for health but the texture of liver and the smell too keeps me miles away.

Kaleeji.jpg

3) BUTTAIN

My relatives pride themselves on making something from this organ. I, on the other hand wasn’t sure which organ this was and when searched, honestly wasn’t too pleased with the result. Buttain refer to the inside of a cow’s stomach. Usually served in a curry, the texture of Buttain is similar to a towel. That alone made me politely decline this particular Pakistani food item.

Pakistani-food-buttain.jpg

4) KAPOORAY

Didn’t have too much fun searching for this dish, I’ll be honest. The lengths I go to for an article surprise me. Kapooray are made from testicles, usually from a goat. Why anyone would want to eat them is beyond me. Still you pay for your sacrificial animal you might as well get your money’s worth.

Pakistani-food-item.jpg

5) KHATAKHAT

Now things are really getting out of hand. If the items above weren’t bizarre enough, here is a dish that is a mixture of all the organs of an animal. Kidneys, brains, testicles, you name it, this dish has it all. Other than the sound the cook makes with his spatulas, nothing about Khatakhat is pretty.

Khatakhat.jpg

6) FEET

No stranger to paye, we Pakistanis also have a dish called Panjo ka soup, and when looked up is a dish made entirely up from chicken claws. Why, I do not know. Those claws are nothing short of a nightmare, why anyone would make a soup out of them is beyond me.

chicken-feet-soup.jpg

7) TONGUE

Ours are already very long. But that doesn’t stop us from indulging in a cold cut of an animal’s tongue. Said to be a delicacy, Lord knows why, these are mostly served in sandwiches. Their texture is velvety and a dollop of mayo would probably make it a wholesome meal for someone more daring perhaps.

Tongue.jpg

8) THE HEAD

No, this isn’t like the brains. This is the actual head of an animal. The dish known as Mundi Salan offers diners a chance to have the entire head of a goat served in a curry. Again I do not know why.

Mundi-Salan.jpg

Being a total chicken, I have not and will not try anything on this list save one. Which dishes have you tried or want to try?
I have eaten 1 2 and 3.
and where are gurday, phephray , dil , lablaba and murghi ki dumchian?

Threads like these sometimes forces me to go vegan(or at least think about it).

Those chicken feets looks cute. But why have they cooked em?:o:
good one..:)

Back
Top Bottom