8,000 killed in final phase of Sri Lanka's civil war: Report

Discussion in 'World Affairs' started by Rajaraja Chola, Feb 25, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Rajaraja Chola

Rajaraja Chola SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    COLOMBO: Nearly 8,000 people were killed in the final phase of Sri Lanka's war against Tamil Tigers in 2009, according to government figure released today.

The casualty statistics by Lanka's Census Department for the first time in a war says that 11,172 people were killed in 2009 at the height of the country's civil war, a figure in stark contrast to estimates by international rights groups.
    Of these 7,934 deaths were described due to "extra- ordinary" circumstances, while 2,523 were natural deaths.

The report does not indicate the number of Tamil Tiger combatants killed during the last days of civil war.

It says that between 2005 and 2009 some 22,329 people had died in the country's north.

The military campaign against the LTTE began in mid 2006 and ended in May three years later. Some 4,156 people remain untraceable during the time of the military conflict.

The report, however, has not separated the number of civilians from the number of LTTE fighters who were killed during the military campaign.

Sri Lanka has always argued that true figures of casualties from the military conflict were much lower than the figures cited by international agencies.

A UN Secretary General panel report last April alleged some 40,000 civilians had been killed.

The former war theatre in the north has a population of under a million, according to the report.

The census department said the total population in the northern province stood at 997,754 in July last year.

It said the June/July enumeration was the first since 1981 when the province became a hotbed of violence with LTTE launching its armed campaign for separatism.

Kilinochchi and Mullaithivu districts which were the epicentres of LTTE campaign together have a population of over 170,000, while the Jaffna district population stood at 567,229, the figures released have shown.

8,000 killed in final phase of Sri Lanka's civil war: Report - The Times of India

This is a genocide by govt forces on tamilians.. They must accept responsible.... Expecting response of indian govt on this.... Even US is actively pursuing the matter better than indians... Congress is playing double games here.... And now Mahinda rajapakse is backtracking on his promise to change the constitution to provide equal right as per 13th amendment!!
  2. Indian Tiger

Indian Tiger FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 778 / -0
    Many people will slam you now.

Intha pannadainga enna thaan sonnalum nammala purinjukka maatanuga...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rajaraja Chola

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    @ indian tiger:before i joined the forum i didnt understand about the seriousness of the tamil problem... My relatives in my native villages used to say about atrocities made by SL army on tamil refugees ... I was too young to understand that time.. but now i can... seriously, when two fishermens were killed by italy the whole of india stands by them... But when scores of tamilian n our fishermens are killed our govt is sitting silent...

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

i have been expecting u lankan ranger.....
    First u said less people were killed, now ur own govt have said have said 8000k were killed OFFICIALLY?
    When u are posting anti- india post, i can do the same... I am a indian and a tamilian after alll...
  4. Deepak123

Deepak123 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 183 / -0
    I am a North Indian but I have read whole history of Sri Lanka and it was mistakes by Sri Lanka majority Sinhala that led their country to the verge of civil war. Like first making Sinhalese the sole official language, taking away citizenship of lots of Tamil and measures to even ban Tamil movies from India etc. It always seems whatever Sinhala do they don't care what Tamil minority in their country think about that.

But I must concede Sri Lanka took some measures like giving official status to Tamil Language and mending many mistakes done by them in past but still insufficient. Sri Lanka still need de-centalisation to do long lasting peace in their country, if they continued pressing for more unitary policies then they will suffer more in future.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rajaraja Chola

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    Dont troll... u better reply to the thread....

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Even malaysia and singapore have given official status to indians who moved there in the past 100 years... But SL refuses to give them the same rights even after 1000 years...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Holmes

Holmes FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 446 / -0
    Don't try to scare us off or anything with China and such.....we won't.

Oooh. it's china, the country with very good humanitarian rights....:cheesy:
    First resolve the human rights issue in Ur country then talk about supporting lanka in resolving the human rights violation there....U know the kerala policy - 2 eyes for an eye...

LTTE has weakened, but Has the issue been Resolved Yet???? i don't think so...
  7. Indian Tiger

Indian Tiger FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 778 / -0
    OMG! China is backing them...:lol::lol:

China backing you more than 30years. Even the very few tamils in Lanka wont afraid about china's backing and fought fiercely (for you it took 30years to finish the civil war).... But in India we are in the number of crores.. Go and show their backing somewhere else, Not to us...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Deepak123

Deepak123 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 183 / -0
    Yes, that was a move in 50s to increase Sinhala dominance in politics. Indian citizenship law says whoever was living in Indian territory before 1950 is Indian citizen but Sri Lanka went to truncate dominance of Tamils and that led their country towards uncertainty. And still it seems Sri Lanka never learnt from their past.
  9. jackyy

jackyy BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 399 / -0
    inida should do military actions against lanka
  10. Rajaraja Chola

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    Even an indian economic sanctions will cripple them....
    Now i am awaiting indian official position and mahinda responses
  11. Holmes

Holmes FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 446 / -0
    Is there any Indian Naval Base(s) in TN ? if not they better build one... It would help the timely capture of the shooters before they escape from the region and prosecute them before the law.
  12. Rajaraja Chola

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    nope not a naval base is there
  13. Shivani Malhotra

Shivani Malhotra BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 843 / -0
  14. Rajaraja Chola

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,312 / -1
    India
    He cant reply directly, and if he replies directly he will get
    [​IMG]

He had violently denied killings of civilians in the same forums before...
    but unfortunately, his own govt let him down...
    And now he s bringing worthless links for no reasons...
  15. illuminatidinesh

illuminatidinesh FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 513 / -0
    India
    He is a journo u know.... He has got links even in mars....

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

He is a journo u know.... He has got links even in mars....