26 killed as bus carrying school children overturns on Motorway

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
26 killed as bus carrying school children overturns on Motorway
Published: September 26, 2011
FAISALABAD: At least 26 people were killed when their bus overturned on the Lahore-Islamabad motorway on Monday evening.
According to Express 24/7 correspondent Syed Ali, the bus carrying students from the Faisalabad’s Model Grammar School was returning to Faisalabad from Kallar Kahar after a field trip when the bus overturned.
Ali said that the school’s vice principal riding with the students had been killed in the incident. More casualties are feared.
Ali said that 110 students and teachers were aboard the bus when its breaks failed. Nearly 45 students, mostly aged between 12 and 13 had received minor injuries, with up to 30 receiving serious injuries.
Chakwal’s DCO confirmed the casualties.
Ali said that rescue officials including Rescue 1122 and army were working to evacuate students still trapped within the bus. Heavy machinery from construction companies had also been requested to aid the rescue process.
The injured have been shifted to Fauji Foundation hospital.
26 killed as bus carrying school children overturns on Motorway – The Express Tribune

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

25 students killed in school bus accident near Kalla Kahar
DAWN.COM
Islamabad,Chakwal: In a tragic accident more than 25 students were died and several wounded when a bus overturned near Kallar Kahar Chakwal on Motorway.

According to police, the crash took place near Salt Range due to failure of bus brakes. All the victims aged between 12 to 20 and they belonged to Millat Grammar School Faisalabad.

They were returning to Faisalabad after completing a study tour in Islamabad.

More than 107 students were aboard on the bus.

Rescue teams and police have reached the scene and shifted the dead and wounded to nearby hospitals.

what the hell is "brake failed"?
the bus wasnt mechanically good enough to be driven on roads......and presumably also was overspeeding as even if brakes stop working...shifting gears can slow down a vehicle...
"brake fail" is common excuse used in pakistan....brakes fail for a reason....its very much avoidable with simple maintainance of vebicle.

That section is fairly dangerous.. and there are multiple signs warning motorists to stay slow.
brakes regularly fail in that particular stretch and special sections of road branch out into steep slopes to provide braking in case of failure.

So sad and tragic. My heart goes out to the bereaved parents. May the departed rest in eternal peace.

37 deaths.???????.....my God......

ok i have never driven a vehicle in pakistan...but i have been to that stretch of motoway...Kohe namak..or the salt range....isnt it? sign boards shout at peoples faces to slow down..the area is full of warning sign boards....even then such a big loss of life..

can somebody explain whats a " brake fail" and how can it happen?
is it mandatory for children to wear seat belts while on motorway or highway?
the kids must have been bouncing around inside the bus as it overturned...seat belts had prevented that from happening...
such a simple thing to do.

This is really so sad. I know the section of road and as Santro has already said the section of road is really dangerous. A few years back i lost my grandmother on the same section of road between Mandra and Gujar Khan where the brakes failed on the bus. It apparantly has been improved since but this is a massive massive unnecessary loss. I pray for the family parents brother and sisters left behind. Its moments like this we should pause and share a prayer for them all. My heart goes out to them.

Very sad.. I can not even imagine the agony of the parents of the innocent kids.. Its so unfair..

Why were there 110 students + teachers inside that bus.. Very callous and irresponsible of the school authorities.. And if its really such a accident prone zone, authorities ought to install series of speed breakers to reduce the speed of the vehicles..

what the hell is "brake failed"?
the bus wasnt mechanically good enough to be driven on roads......and presumably also was overspeeding as even if brakes stop working...shifting gears can slow down a vehicle...
"brake fail" is common excuse used in pakistan....brakes fail for a reason....its very much avoidable with simple maintainance of vebicle.

shifting the gears down when going in high speed without braking can cause the vehicle to skid and even overturn....its not that easy.....

r.i.p.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom