What's new

1904 China map admits Paracel, Spratly not Chinese territory

SpiritHS

Reaction score
mapbig.jpg

Chinese language expert Mai Hong points at Hai Nan Island in a 1904 Chinese map, which noted the island as China’s southernmost tip.
A Chinese language expert in Vietnam has an official map of China from 1904 that does not show Hoang Sa (Paracel) and Truong Sa (Spratly) islands as belonging to that country.

The map possessed by Mai Hong, former head of the archive at the Han Nom Institute that studies ancient Vietnamese language and its influence by Chinese, for more than 30 years shows Hainan Island as China’s southernmost tip.

The two archipelagoes off Vietnam’s central coast are not shown in the map.

But now China claims the islands despite lots of historical evidence showing Vietnam’s existence on the islands before anyone else.

A Vietnamese map from 1834 includes the two islands.

Hong said the colored-paper map was made during the Qing Dynasty era and published by the Shanghai Publishing House.

Hong said the Chinese descriptions on the map indicate it took from 1708 to 1904, from the time of Emperor Guangxi to that of Guangxu, to complete it.

The kings sent scholars and experts, including Westerners such as Johann Adam Schall von Bell and Ferdinand Verbiest, to all of China's then 13 provinces for the task, he said.

The foreword was written by the then director of an observatory.

Hong had bought the map from a familiar book seller for his institute. “He showed me the map and suggested that I should buy it. It cost more than my one month salary.”

On July 4 he handed over the well-preserved, 115 cm x 140 cm map to the Vietnam National History Museum in Hanoi. A handover ceremony is being held Tuesday with several historians attending.

“I think this map can provide some very good information for Vietnam’s defense at international negotiations. A proof from China themselves will save us from (verbal) attacks.”

Vietnam latest news - Thanh Nien Daily | 1904 China map admits Paracel, Spratly not Chinese territory

With narrow-minded nationalism, deception, aggression..., Chinese hope continue to deception international community. action that is trampling on international law of the chinese.

any publication house can print their maps,there are tons of old maps published by many publication houses all across China and the world,on the same map,maybe it shows that Vietnam is part of France.

any publication house can print their maps,there are tons of old maps published by many publication houses all across China and the world,on the same map,maybe it shows that Vietnam is part of France.

Remember the same thing when u claim Arunachal Pradesh or Spartly or even Okinawa ,....lol!

We sympathize with Vietnamese people. China's aggression must be countered and it will take the unity of ASEAN with powerful nations like USA, Russia, India to neutralize China's threat to SE Asian's access to the sea and to their territories that are within the EEZ.

We sympathize with Vietnamese people. China's aggression must be countered and it will take the unity of ASEAN with powerful nations like USA, Russia, India to neutralize China's threat to SE Asian's access to the sea and to their territories that are within the EEZ.

you have overlapping claim,if China was not there ,they won't hesitate to attack a much easier foe,the Philippines.

Chinese always claimed history, I hope that the Chinese will bring us in international courts, where the historical evidence will come together.

Chinese always claimed history, I hope that the Chinese will bring us in international courts, where the historical evidence will come together.

US,ISREAL,THE MIDDLE EAST,INDIA...WHICH LAND OR OTHER DISPUTES WERE SETTLED BY SO CALLED INTERNATIONAL COURT?I DONT REMEMBER ANY.

Yawn..same rhetoric, same old, same old

An old map can be produced by anyone, I can produce one that says India owns Vietnam. Prove that it is scientifically that old and comes from China

you should go to class and learn the history, we are not only of this map. when conditions permit, we have a lot of evidence to slap into the mouths of people ''historical claims'' but tremble with the truth of history.

you should go to class and learn the history, we are not only of this map. when conditions permit, we have a lot of evidence to slap into the mouths of people ''historical claims'' but tremble with the truth of history.

we also have enough evidence showing you were part of China,as in the case of 1903 map,it's very recent so on the map it probably shows that you were part of France.

China want tibet
China want Arunachal Pradesh from India
China want Island from Vietnam
China Want Taiwan
China want Island from Philipines
China want Island from Japan...
China want Island from Korea
China has territorial dispute with Bhutan...
China dispute over Sparty Island with Brunei
China want South China Sea...
China has territorial dispute with Myanmar
Did i miss something....

Dude leave something for others tooo......

and here people from our neighbor countries say that India is the most aggressive country when its come to its neighborhood....

they included those islands only during Kuomintang regime via "9 dotted line".no previous document shows that it was under Chinese control..

US,ISREAL,THE MIDDLE EAST,INDIA...WHICH LAND OR OTHER DISPUTES WERE SETTLED BY SO CALLED INTERNATIONAL COURT?I DONT REMEMBER ANY.

Indo-Bangladesh-Mayanmar EEZ dispute is in International court.even court settled the dispute of Bangladesh-Mayanmar dispute when we are waiting for next hearing.

BD-Myanmar maritime boundary dispute order Mar 14

Bangladesh vs Myanmar Maritime Boundary Dispute Verdict: A Brief Summary | Sachalayatan

no harm to fight legally if your claim is justified.

but i'm sure in very next post,a chinese member will claim "we don't need outsiders to judge which is our land" kind comment.best of luck with that attitude.

thats an image of dispute between Indo-Bangladesh-Mayanmar EEZ dispute..

Bay_dispute-water.jpg

Back
Top Bottom