What's new

15 Jordanian F-16 for sale

These aircraft are Air Defence Fighters specialized for air supremacy. The upgrades would be similar to what the other PAF aircraft have gone through.

The service life distribution for the global F-16 fleet shows the service life ranging from 1 to 30 years. Surprisingly enough 5 active airframes have a service life of 30 years, making them the oldest F-16s still in service. The average service life of the active F-16 fleet is 17.2 years.

For the active fleet, three major groups can be distinguished. The majority of the airframes have a service life of between 10 and 25 years. These obviously include the F-16A/B aircraft delivered to the USAF and the European Participating Air Forces (EPAF) nations - Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway and Denmark. It als includes the first Foreign Military Sales programs for Israel, Egypt and Turkey. These aircraft were block 1/5/10/15 aircraft and many of these aircraft underwent service life extension or were upgraded. Service Life Extension programs included Falcon Up, Falcon Star and some others. Upgrade programs included the F-16 ADF (Air Defense Fighter) and F-16 OCU (Operational Capabilities Upgrade) for the USAF, and F-16 MLU (Mid-Life Update) for the European aircraft.

The reason why we don't see the attrition rate increasing for older aircraft is that F-16 aircraft are thoroughly monitored and air forces will retire F-16 airframes before they reach their end-of-service-life. Also, many of the older airframes have been through at least one upgrade program or Service Life Extension Program (SLEP), such as the Midl-Life Update (MLU), Operation Capabilities Upgrade (OCU) or Falcon-Up. These programs bring the airframes back to "as new" condition, further explaining the lack of "upward slope" in the bathtub curve.

Two operational F-16 models were actially converted from older airframes. The first is the F-16 block 15 ADF (Air Defense Fighter), a variant specifically designed for the USAF to take over the interception role from the ageing F-106 and F-102 aircraft, traditionally assigned to the Fighter Intercept Squadrons of the Air National Guard. The F-16 ADFwas capable of firing the AIM-7 Sparrow and was the first F-16 to be equiped with an advanced IFF system. All ADF airframes were converted from existing block 15 aircraft.

The second operational converted model is the F-16 block 20 MLU. This Mid-Life Upgrade was designed to significantly increase the operational capabilities of the older block 1-5-10-15 aircraft still in service with the four original European customers (Belgium, Denmark, The Netherland and Norway). It introduced many C/D capabilities into the A/B models, including a new Modular Mission Computer, upgraded radar, advanced stores management, etc. Most MLU aircraft are by definition upgrades of existing A/B aircraft. The majority of MLUs were upgraded from block 15 and block 15OCUairframes, with a small portion upgraded from block 1, 5 and 10.
Thnaks for a very informative post. So what you are saying is that the RJAF fleet has capability to Fire the Sparrow but need upgrade prior to having capability to fire AMRAAMs.
A

Dosti ya Dushmani may

Hum se badkar kaun hai ?

Aur Khabhi Khabhi

upload_2016-7-4_20-20-42.png

upload_2016-7-4_20-21-24.png

http://tribune.com.pk/story/626601/...istan-forces-exchange-sweets-at-wagah-border/

Last edited:
What I know is it was either Sparrow or AIM120 AMRAAM for F-16 ADF's
RJAF have the Sparrow.

Go through these articles to understand.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article14.html
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article2.html
The reason I asked was it was my understanding that the ADFs were capable of firing AMRAAMS although agree that RJAF do not have them. This created more confusion as I could not work out why a capability would be provided with Out the armaments. Anyways this remains to be seen and if it is a matter of software updates then Iam sure the matter can be resolved locally.
A

@dadeechi
God bless you

No one wants war even as per Islamic teachings no one should wish for war but once imposed should fought it with what he could.

Absolutely! agree

War is never a solution. It can sometimes seem like a shortcut to a solution but always result in long term problems.

I believe in taking diplomatic route to peace, even how hard it may seem to be.

Hate gives birth to more Hate
Love gives birth to more Love

The choices could not be more clearer.

Yes Kabhi Kabhi...
Rest Diwali fireworks takes lives too quite often especially from our side.

I met once in my service life with serving Indian officer he is quite nice dude like you.

But once we are .....then nobody could stop us...
British won the game divided us and still ruling us. (British means all the white skin).

True.

Though Diwali fireworks give enjoyment to the audience, it could be dangerous and fatal to the ones firing them.

The best way to enjoy the fireworks is to get rid of the dangerous bombs (actual firing) and enjoy the moment with the sparklers (Training exercises).

The reason I asked was it was my understanding that the ADFs were capable of firing AMRAAMS although agree that RJAF do not have them. This created more confusion as I could not work out why a capability would be provided with Out the armaments. Anyways this remains to be seen and if it is a matter of software updates then Iam sure the matter can be resolved locally.
A

I thought they can only fire AIM-7 Sparrows but then came up on this. F-16.net is pretty reputable source when it comes to news about F-16s.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article14.html

F-16 ADF
Air Defense Fighter
F-16 Versions main menu
History
In October 1986, the USAF announced that operational block 15F-16A/B aircraft would be converted to air defense fighters for the Air National Guard, and would take over the fighter interception mission, providing the primary defense of North America against bombers and cruise missiles.

F-16s ADF can be identified by the searchlight, tail fin bulges, and bird slicers antenna's. Since the ADF testbed is a Bravo, it doesn't have the bulges, and the spotlight is on the port side. For some reason, it hasn't received the bird slicers, so luckily this one has ADF painted on its tail. (USAF photo)

The first F-16A ADF conversion was completed in February 1989, while a contract was placed for kits to update and modify a total of 270 F-16A/B's at the Ogden Air Logistics Center in Utah. The Block 15 airframes used for the ADF program were all meant to be upgraded to block 15OCU standard, and both programs ran in conjunction. Aircraft entering the Ogden ALC for ADF upgrade also received the Block 15OCU avionics installation. The net result is that all ADF aircraft are Block 15OCU airframes. The last ADF left Ogden in 1992.

Structure & Avionics
Modifications included Bendix King (now Allied Signal) AN/ARC-200HF/SSB radios with Have Quick II Secure Speech Module and the Teledyne/E Systems Mk.XII Advanced IFF system (APX-109). The APG-66 radar was modified (designated APG-66A) to provide look down/shoot-down capability, enhanced small target detection, and CW (Continuous Wave) illumination for AIM-7 guidance.

A 150,000 candlepower night identification spotlight was installed on the port side of the nose (below and in front of the cockpit) to aid in the identification of nighttime intruders. The aircraft were equipped to carry 600 (US) gallon (2,271 liter) external drop tanks, and to carry 6 BVR missiles such as the AIM-7 Sparrow or AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Modifications & Upgrades

The bird slicers are obvious on this F-16A ADF lining up on a tanker (USAF photo)

The ADF aircraft can be distinguished from "standard" F-16A/B's by several external identifying features, such as long and thin horizontal bulges on the base of the vertical tail (only A-models), plus a set of four blade antenna, nicknamed "bird-slicer", carried just forward of the canopy (as part of the IFF system).

The bulges are caused by the relocation of the Bendix-King AN/ARC-200 high frequency single-sideband radio to the leading edge of the fin. This in turn caused the flight control accumulators, which were installed one over the other, to be relocated to either side of the tail fin. The bulges were installed to provide sufficient room for these accumulators. Note that, since the Bravo-model ADF's do not have the Bendix HF radio, they also don't have the bulges.

Production
All ADF F-16s are modified airframes. Existing Block 15 models where converted to the Block 15OCU upgrade and to ADF standard at once. In total, 271 airframes, consisting in 246 A-models and 25 B-models have been converted between 1989 and 1992. Minor differences exist between the A-model and B-model as described earlier.

Because of the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 and the opening of relationships between West and East, the program had lost its major reason of existence, being the protection of the North American continent against Russian bombers flying over the North Pole. Although the program was finished and all aircraft stayed into service with the Air National Guard detachments, they were the first to be mothballed at AMARC with the first major restructuration of the USAF. This proces started already in 1994. Currently only 2 ANG squadrons still fly the type, with them probably being converted in the near future.

A lot of these ADF F-16s are a very cheap and quite modern asset for allied countries. These aircraft have relatively low flying hours on their airframes. A lot of them are sold on the second-hand market. Jordan was the first to receive 12 A-models and 4-models under the Peace Falcon program in 1997. Recently,Thailand has acquired another batch of 15 A-models and 1 B-model under the Peace Naresuan IV program. Also the Italian Air Force is receiving 26 A-models and 4 B-models under a 5-year (extendable to 10 years) lease agreement called Peace Caesar.

Specifications
Engine: One Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 turbofan, rated at 14,590 lb.s.t. dry and 23,770 lb.s.t. with afterburning.

Maximum speed: Mach 2.05 at 40,000 feet. Service ceiling 55,000 feet. Maximum range 2400 miles. Initial climb rate 62,000 feet per minute.

Dimensions: wingspan 32 feet 9 1/2 inches, length 49 feet 3 1/2 inches, height 16 feet 8 1/2 inches, wing area 300 square feet.

Weights: 16,285 pounds empty, 25,281 pounds combat, 37,500 pounds maximum takeoff.

Agreed. The buy makes a lot of sense in many ways as I have elaborated earlier.AlthoughI think the Ps will go sooner than the M3/5S AS the later have specialized roles which they will continue to be used for. The Ps on the other hand have had it and need to be put to pasture soon.
A

If these are ADF as being speculated currently, then it will replace F-7P whose main role is interceptor.

PAF is the depiction of Pakistani society, the way every paindoo in Pakistan says"XLI sarion naloon fit gadi aye" So for PAF "F16 is the best fighter jet ever created and will remain so till the end of time"
To be honest, I fully support PAF IF they go for these MLU'd vipers. Bang for the buck. More than enough to take on anything India has.

If they have already signed the upgrade contract with TAI, then probably we have already bought these planes or the deal is firm but not disclosed yet.

I think the eecent contract with TAI is for these planes and the ADFs which PAF bought. There have been indication that the US is unhappy over planes being upgraded locally. Whether right or wrong I am happy to be corrected.

Being a smaller AF they want fleet commonality for cost efficiency. They had ordered MLUed Block Cand Ds which they are recieving or have received which isthe reason for this sale. Ithink it would be a good sale for us and ideal for our fleet requirements and commonality. Senior politicains statements also suggest PAF is going to buy them and US will not have any objections.
A

Probably not. To date the Taiwanese air force had requested upgrade of their old Bl.15s to bl. 52 standard if I remember correctly with a contract worth 8 billion US dollars including AESA radar. I am not aware whether this has actually happened. But in general this if at all would be an exception rather than the rule and in my view a waste of money for reasons which I have quoted earlier in my posts.
A
PS:_
هاتون مین ہے خنجرنا دامن پے کوئی چهینٹ
تم قتل کرو هو کہ کرامات کرو هو

BALTIMORE – Feb. 2, 2015 – Less than four months after completing all design reviews, Northrop Grumman's APG-83 Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR) has received its first production order from Lockheed Martin

Under the terms of the contract, Northrop Grumman will provide 142 radars to Lockheed Martin as part of the Taiwan Air Force F-16 upgrade program. The first production system will be delivered to Lockheed Martin in 2016.
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsarchive/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=10118162

These are two different things.

System / Software upgrade
This can be performed by Pakistan.
Pakistan does not have the capability to update the System Software. It is not some thing that you can change on your own. It is a proprietary system and if we want to change it, we would need US help because they own the source codes.

To be honest, I fully support PAF IF they go for these MLU'd vipers. Bang for the buck. More than enough to take on anything India has.
With Recents visits by John McCain delegation will pave way for further F16s .Not only these used one via Jordan but also Newones too .My take this time Newones would be more than 8 likely to 18 .Paf should get as Many F16 they can via Jordan and sweet with Newones .My ideal number is 130 to 150 New & old ones cum with Jf17 .

With Recents visits by John McCain delegation will pave way for further F16s .Not only these used one via Jordan but also Newones too .My take this time Newones would be more than 8 likely to 18 .Paf should get as Many F16 they can via Jordan and sweet with Newones .My ideal number is 130 to 150 New & old ones cum with Jf17 .
Sen.McCain, is a very level headed guy, I have a feeling he brought a goody bag as well, which will slowly trickle into the media.

Back
Top Bottom