What's new

12 best tanks in world

i guess there are only tweleve tank making coutaries, and we are at the last, excpet Arjun, which can not be counted as it is not even in full scale production due to several reasons as LCA junk. its the same that u took the second position but the reality is there were only two comptitors.

looking forward to see AKII, and atleast it has to be more aggressive,intimidating, and ability to stay on target while moving, plus the safe amo exit compartment. the others attributes should built upon AKI. then i m sure the AKs will jump in raking.

sorry AKI stands 11th, my apololigies, but we got to make it into top 5 or 6 with AKII atleast, this should be the vision

sorry AKI stands 11th, my apololigies, but we got to make it into top 5 or 6 with AKII atleast, this should be the vision
Actually a comparison like this is not very realistic, especially when it comes to Al-Khalid. Pakistan has Al-Khalid to face Indian tanks, a large fleet of modernized T-72s and limited T-90Ss. To meet that challenge, AK is good enough. If and when there was a need to go for a more advanced system (depending on what IA fields both in terms of tanks as well as anti-tank weaponry), PA will induct more sophisticated tanks. So I wont compare AK with M1 or Challenger or others for that matter. Besides, Merkava Mark IV that stands at 4th rank was proven a failure in recent conflict where they faced only a 'paramilitary' force.

Edit To Haider: I wonder there the Arjun ranks, theoretically. I realise its difficult to rank something not in full service, but that doesn't stop us from ranking and comparing the JF-17 or the FC-20, so why can't we do the same for the Arjun?

i wont mind ranking arjunk but when Indian army itself prefers T-90 over Arjun and ranks modernized T-72 above arjun so then it actually does not have any chance in top-10 or top-12.

It's really nice to see Al-Khalid listed in top 12 best tanks in the world! INSHALLAH it's ammter of time when an upgraded version of Al-Khalid will come t the light and it will be far away better then the Actual Al-Khalid...Pak Armed forces & Pakistan Zindabad!!!

i still think merkava should not be in the list because if it faces Alkhalid T 90 or leopard too most times merkava will end up in a scrap

Actually a comparison like this is not very realistic, especially when it comes to Al-Khalid. Pakistan has Al-Khalid to face Indian tanks, a large fleet of modernized T-72s and limited T-90Ss. To meet that challenge, AK is good enough. If and when there was a need to go for a more advanced system (depending on what IA fields both in terms of tanks as well as anti-tank weaponry), PA will induct more sophisticated tanks. So I wont compare AK with M1 or Challenger or others for that matter. Besides, Merkava Mark IV that stands at 4th rank was proven a failure in recent conflict where they faced only a 'paramilitary' force.

alkhalid is very good...but sheer numerical superiority tilts the balance.
T-90 is as good as the alkhalid...and T-72s have been modernized.
the one thing i hate about the T-72s is that they have no air-conditioning...indian armored cores keep 'barf ki silliyan' to keep the interiors cold...it is said that in thar...the tanks outer surface gets so hot that you can fry eggs!(the engine heat contributes as well)
which is not the case with pakistani AK and t-80s...
what about al-zarrar has it got a/c too?

I kind of agree with the numbering except for Merkava. This tank has worst kind of record from the recent Israel-Hezbollah conflict. As per technical specs, may be, but certainly it didn't deserve to be on #4 as per its performance in the combat.

I couldn't find the name of the person who compiled the list, but I am pretty sure he is a jew.

Hi Qsaark,

Could you please kindly elaborate a little more on that hizb and israel conflict with tanks and share with us the what that worst kind of record is. Thanks.

alkhalid is very good...but sheer numerical superiority tilts the balance.
T-90 is as good as the alkhalid...and T-72s have been modernized.
the one thing i hate about the T-72s is that they have no air-conditioning...indian armored cores keep 'barf ki silliyan' to keep the interiors cold...it is said that in thar...the tanks outer surface gets so hot that you can fry eggs!(the engine heat contributes as well)
which is not the case with pakistani AK and t-80s...
what about al-zarrar has it got a/c too?

Sheer number of tanks does matter in modern war. We have example of 1 st gulf war where 1 American tank out numbered by 3 Iraq tanks. The result of the war show only 4 American tanks damaged.

Now day amours are designed to observe less heat because it gives heat signature. This is bad because most of the tanks use infrared and heat detraction devices to locate targets.

i still think merkava should not be in the list because if it faces Alkhalid T 90 or leopard too most times merkava will end up in a scrap

I agree merkava is to heavy it take valuable time in the heat of battle to move into quick formation.

12 Best Tank in the World

11.... AL-Khalid

The Al-Khalid or MBT 2000 (Type 90-IIM) is a modern main battle tank co-developed by China and Pakistan. It is produced in Pakistan, and in service with the Pakistan Army. It is operated by a crew of three, and armed with 125mm smoothbore gun with mechanical autoloader, capable of firing anti-tank missiles, with modern fire-control and night-fighting equipment. The MBT 2000 is named after the legendary Muslim general Khalid ibn al-Walid.

Based on its Chinese and Soviet design ancestry, the MBT2000/Al-Khalid is considerably smaller and lighter than most western main battle tanks. The design is based on the Chinese model Type 90 main battle tank project, which combines technologies from several Soviet and western tanks, and is ultimately a descendant of the widely-produced Soviet T-54A. The MBT 2000 is unusual in that it is adaptable for manufacture with any of a variety engines and transmissions of foreign origin.

The Al-Khalid is a version of this tank produced in Pakistan, with a compact diesel engine supplied by Ukraine's KMDB design bureau. The first tanks were completed and entered Pakistan Army service in 2001, and Pakistan had planned to induct 600 of these by 2007.

Alkhalid

Weight 48 tonnes
Length 10.07 m
Width 3.50 m
Height 2.40 m
Crew 3
Armour 600 mm est.
Primary
armament 125 mm smoothbore gun
Secondary
armament 12.7 mm antiaircraft, 7.62 mm coaxial machine guns
Engine 12-cylinder diesel model 6TD-2
1,200 hp (895 kW)
Power/weight 26 hp/tonne
Transmission torsion-bar
Operational
range 500 km
Speed 72 km/h

10.... T-90

T-90 is a Russian main battle tank (MBT) derived from the T-72, and is currently the most modern tank in the Russian Ground Forces and is also in service with various other foreign military operators. The successor to T-72BM, the T-90 uses the gun and 1G46 gunner sights from the T-80U, a new engine, and thermal sights. Protective measures include Kontakt-5 ERA, laser warning receivers, the EMT-7 electromagnetic pulse creator for the destruction of magnetic mines and the Shtora infrared ATGM jamming system.

T-90s

T-90 Main Battle Tank

Weight 46.5 tonnes
Length 9.53 m (31.27 ft)
Width 3.78 m (9.12 ft)
Height 2.22 m (7.28 ft)
Crew 3
Armor Classified steel-composite-reactive blend
Primary
armament 125 mm smoothbore gun with ATGM capability; mainly 9M119 Svir
Secondary
armament 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun, 12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun
Engine Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel[1]

V-92 12-cyl. diesel
V-96 12-cyl. diesel
840 hp (626 kW) for Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel engine
950 hp (708 kW) for V-92 12-cyl. diesel engine
1,100 hp (820 kW) for V-96 12-cyl. diesel engine
Power/weight 18.1 hp/tonne (13.5 kW/tonne) for Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel engine

20.4 hp/tonne (15.2 kW/tonne) for V-92 12-cyl. diesel engine
23.7 hp/tonne (17.6 kW/tonne) for V-96 12-cyl. diesel engine
Suspension torsion bar
Operational
range 650 km
Speed 65 km/h

Unit cost $1,371,000 USD

how they realize that T 90 is better than Al khalid:undecided:

I think it is very difficult to rank the tanks without their combat effectiveness being demonstrated in real combat situations in between similarly trained crews.

although you can rank arjun also in the list somewhere (where is your call) as it may just be fielded now ......

M1A1 was offered by US,during Zia era, demo in Kharian and it was attended by Zia. But it was mainly rejected because of its weight and few other technical reasons.

ah you are wrong there .... it was rejected because it failed to hit targets ...... mainly

Qsaark

kindly please initiate a discussion in purely south asian sense .... objective one and I would request mods to keep the nationalistic BS away from it ........

thanks

AK at 11.... Still, I believe that AK is enough for our needs. Its not just the tank that makes the difference... Its also the Men and their Objectives, Tactics and Strategy etc

Back
Top Bottom