What's new

‘New wave’ in ties with Dhaka: Chinese envoy

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
DHAKA, APR 26: There will be a “new wave” in relations between Bangladesh and China, according to the new Chinese ambassador in Dhaka. He further predicted an upsurge in Chinese investments in Bangladesh in the coming days in different sectors. “I’m sure there will be increased Chinese investments in Bangladesh for machinery building and light industries as labour cost has become higher in China,” said Ambassador Li Jun during a visit to the offices of The Independent on Thursday.
“Since I came here about two months ago, more than 20 Chinese companies came to Bangladesh to inquire about investment in Bangladesh. There is a huge opportunity of cooperation and I will do my very best to make that happen,” he said.
Talking to senior journalists of The Independent, the Chinese envoy talked about different aspects of the relationship between the two countries in addition to some regional issues.
Welcoming him, The Independent Editor Mahbubul Alam said, “Our relationship is time-tested. It’s an all-weather relationship. Our relationship is rooted in history which has grown over centuries,” he said.
“We have reached a mature stage of relationship which will be further consolidated in the years ahead,” said Mahbubul Alam, also a former Adviser to a caretaker government.
Describing Dhaka as very important to Beijing, the Chinese envoy said that both Bangladesh and China were developing countries with huge populations and common interests in regional and international affairs.
“We cooperate with each other closely to safeguard the interests of the two countries as well as developing countries as a whole,” he said. “Bangladesh is very near neighbour of China and if we want to develop our country we need a good neighbourhood,” said Li Jun, who arrived in Dhaka on February 18 this year. “It is my great honour and pleasure to be assigned as Chinese Ambassador to Bangladesh. I like Bangladesh. When I was very young I was a big fan of (Rabindranath) Tagore,” he said. About Dhaka-Beijing relationship the Ambassador said, “The cooperative relationship between the two countries is facing very important opportunities because China is at a new stage of development and restructuring of its economy.”
He said that Bangladesh has also remained a relatively high growth economy with a comparatively long vision for development.
“I do believe if we can combine our strategy of development better we can find many opportunities to cooperate with each other,” he added. About The Independent, the Ambassador said, “The first thing I do in the morning is to read The Independent. I learn about the issues in Bangladesh from your paper. I am a very good reader of your newspaper.” The media is very important to build bridges between the peoples of the two friendly countries, he said.
Asked whether Beijing had any problem with Dhaka’s growing relationship with New Delhi and proposed transit to India’s northeastern states through Bangladesh, Li said, “China puts great emphasis on its neighbours and it wants to see Bangladesh and India have a smooth relationship.” “It is true that there is a territorial dispute between India and China. But we hope the relationship between Bangladesh and India will not harm China’s interests in any way,” he added.
About China-India relationship the envoy said, “The territorial dispute between India and China is a problem, but it does not affect relationships [in other areas] between the two countries. Trade and investment between China and India are increasing very fast.”
Li Jun said that China had already provided zero tariff benefit to Bangladeshi items providing a boost to Dhaka’s export to his country.
He also said that he would make efforts to reduce the trade deficit between the two countries which was at present in favour of China.
“Chinese investment in Bangladesh by private sector companies will rebalance the trade relationship between the two nations,” he added.
Asked how China intended to be engaged in the construction of a deep seaport in the Bay of Bengal, the Ambassador said, “Some big Chinese companies are interested to take part in the construction of the deep seaport. They have long been interested in this project and made plans for that. They have even set up offices in Dhaka.”
“Now the decision is with the Bangladesh side. Bangladesh will have to decide soon whether a deep seaport will be constructed and whether Chinese companies will be allowed to construct the port,” he said. The deep seaport will help Bangladesh become a transportation hub in South Asia and push forward economic development, he elaborated.
About the recent Bangladesh-US security dialogue Li said, “The dialogue was a closed-door event and we did not know the details of the dialogue.”
“We see nothing objectionable in Bangladesh’s cooperation with other countries for its own security.” We understand the US is concerned about extremism. China also suffers from extremism. There are many areas where China and the US also can cooperate with each other,” he said.
“I hope the relationship between Bangladesh and the US will not affect regional military stability and will not harm China’s interests.”
The Ambassador earlier on arrival visited different sections of The Independent’s offices.

‘New wave’ in ties with Dhaka: Chinese envoy

Hopefully readymade garments sector and other labor intensive industries will see a boom in the upcoming years because of China's shift from cheap labor low-tech to skilled labor hi-tech sectors. But Bangladesh is failing to gain confidence as a reliable partner in international relationship thanks to the contradictory perspectives of main political parties.

“We see nothing objectionable in Bangladesh’s cooperation with other countries for its own security.” We understand the US is concerned about extremism. China also suffers from extremism. There are many areas where China and the US also can cooperate with each other,” he said.
“I hope the relationship between Bangladesh and the US will not affect regional military stability and will not harm China’s interests.”

What is going on there?

Back
Top Bottom