ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
‘Mixed leadership’ is expected to be elected in PTI polls
By Our Correspondent / Photo: Abid Nawaz
Published: February 26, 2013
LAHORE:
Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf members, including women, were at polling station at the Aiwan-i-Iqbal on Tuesday to elect office bearers at the district and town level. Candidates and supporters were present and lobbying members for their votes.
The polling started at 9 am but voters (elected office bearers at union council level) started gathering at 8 am. Many voters said they looked forward to electing a politically mature leadership. Hammad Azhar, running for general secretary, said people wanted to elect a democratic leadership.
Tsunami Change Group’s Omer Zaheeer Meer said he sensed the spirit of change among the voters. “PTI has empowered workers. Workers of other political parties will also demand similar empowerment now.” The polling station, Meer added, was packed with voters which proved that they wanted change in party ranks.
Former central information secretary Umer Sarfarz Cheema said the workers were in a good mood and wanted to elect clean, educated and a devoted leadership. “No panel will sweep the election. ‘Mixed leadership’ is expected to be elected.”
“This is a good exercise for the country,” Cheema added.
UC-66 General Secretary Muhammad Khursheed said he was an ordinary labourer but PTI had empowered him. “I came here to support change. I have been in the queue for two hours but I can stand much longer to cast my vote.”
UC-19 Vice President Fauzia Bibi said she would vote for a panel.
UC-130 Vice President Chaudhry Muhammad Saleem said he was rooting for the Ideology Group as it consisted of PTI’s founding members.
Many voters were critical of arrangements made by the Election Commission. They recommended that the commission establish more booths to facilitate voters. Initially, candidates were not allowed to enter the polling compound. However, later on, at the demand of candidates running for president, the rule was relaxed.
Abdul Aleem Khan, Mian Mehmoodur Rasheed and Farooq Amjad Mir, all running for president, remained in the compound with supporters. Hammad Azhar, Hafiz Farat Abbas and Rasheed Bhatti were also present.
All the candidates had established camps outside the premises to guide voters about the polling procedure. Roads leading to the Aiwan-i-Iqbal were blocked.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 27th, 2013.

Back
Top Bottom