What's new

‘Admitting you are a secularist can get you killed in Pakistan’

haviZsultan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Urdu linguists have distorted the meaning of the word “secular,” and falsely translated it as la-deen (non-religious). The use of the word is so dangerous now that even mainstream leftist political parties in the country are afraid of talking about it.

Civil society representatives highlighted these points as they participated in a seminar titled ‘Democracy and secularism in Pakistan: Its need and importance’, at the Arts Council on Saturday. The event was organised by the Forum for Secular Pakistan. The participants urged political leaders to push for a secular state, “as there can be no democracy in the country without secularism”.

Prof. Dr Jaffar Ahmed, the chairperson of the Pakistan Study Centre, criticised Urdu linguists for “distorting” the meaning of ‘secular’ in earlier dictionaries. The word was originally used to refer to the small pieces of land that common people used to hold in the days when the Catholic Church would own most of the land. The word came to symbolise scientific inventions and progressive thought in the 19th century, he said.

Senator Hasil Bizenjo said that secularism had become, perhaps, the most difficult subject to talk about in the country. “If someone says that he is secular, people would kill him on the spot.” He said that only three to four political parties in the country had mentioned the word in their manifestos.

On the other hand, monarchs, as well as democratic governments, have been using religion to strengthen their rule for centuries. However, there have been a few prominent rulers, including the founder of the Mughal dynasty, who had grown worried over the amalgamation of religion with state affairs, said I A Rehman, the secretary general of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. “For democracy to survive, it is necessary for the state to stay neutral when it came to religion.”

‘Admitting you are a secularist can get you killed in Pakistan’ – The Express Tribune

KARACHI: Urdu linguists have distorted the meaning of the word “secular,” and falsely translated it as la-deen (non-religious). The use of the word is so dangerous now that even mainstream leftist political parties in the country are afraid of talking about it.

Civil society representatives highlighted these points as they participated in a seminar titled ‘Democracy and secularism in Pakistan: Its need and importance’, at the Arts Council on Saturday. The event was organised by the Forum for Secular Pakistan. The participants urged political leaders to push for a secular state, “as there can be no democracy in the country without secularism”.

Prof. Dr Jaffar Ahmed, the chairperson of the Pakistan Study Centre, criticised Urdu linguists for “distorting” the meaning of ‘secular’ in earlier dictionaries. The word was originally used to refer to the small pieces of land that common people used to hold in the days when the Catholic Church would own most of the land. The word came to symbolise scientific inventions and progressive thought in the 19th century, he said.

Senator Hasil Bizenjo said that secularism had become, perhaps, the most difficult subject to talk about in the country. “If someone says that he is secular, people would kill him on the spot.” He said that only three to four political parties in the country had mentioned the word in their manifestos.

On the other hand, monarchs, as well as democratic governments, have been using religion to strengthen their rule for centuries. However, there have been a few prominent rulers, including the founder of the Mughal dynasty, who had grown worried over the amalgamation of religion with state affairs, said I A Rehman, the secretary general of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. “For democracy to survive, it is necessary for the state to stay neutral when it came to religion.”

‘Admitting you are a secularist can get you killed in Pakistan’ – The Express Tribune
Sir in Islam either you are with Islam or you are with kufr that kufr can be of some religion or new kufr of secularism but that will be kufr and the denial of Islam and orders of ALLAH and his PROPHET SAW and in Islam state can't be neutral and even many secular say you can't be full secular until you are Atheist

Sir in Islam either you are Islam or you are with kufr that kufr can be of some religion or new kufr of secularism but that will be kufr and the denial of Islam and orders of ALLAH and his PROPHET SAW and in Islam state can't be neutral and even many secular say you can't be full secular until you are Atheist

You are too ignorant to understand the concepts like secularism.There were many influential Islamic philosophers in the 12th century like Ibn Rushd who followed a secular path.

You are too ignorant to understand the concepts like secularism.There were many influential Islamic philosophers in the 12th century like Ibn Rushd who followed a secular path.
Sir I have knowledge to understand the **** of secularism so you please stop interfering Islam has its own system and concepts and if you are not with those than you are with kufr Sir we don't this crap of secularism Ibn Rushd yes was a philosophizer but not secular Mr For GOD Sake stop posting bullshit here

Sir in Islam either you are with Islam or you are with kufr that kufr can be of some religion or new kufr of secularism but that will be kufr and the denial of Islam and orders of ALLAH and his PROPHET SAW and in Islam state can't be neutral and even many secular say you can't be full secular until you are Atheist

Secuarism is not atheism, you need to do some fact finding.

Secuarism is not atheism, you need to do some fact finding.
Sir I didn't said that I said you can't be complete secular without being an atheist Sir and by the way even if it is not Athiesm or other stuff still its kufr sir because in Islam either you are with law of ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW or you are with law of kufr

Sir I have knowledge to understand the **** of secularism so you please stop interfering Islam has its own system and concepts and if you are not with those than you are with kufr Sir we don't this crap of secularism

Who hell do you think you are??World of Islam don't revolve around your head,you miserable oaf.I am Interfering Islam,GTFO.

Who hell do you think you are??World of Islam don't revolve around your head,you miserable oaf.I am Interfering Islam,GTFO.
Sir I study Islam and talk about it and you stop posting crap and **** here Sir we know Islam and we will implement it and we don't secularism because it is just another kind of kufr and if you so belief in secularism first go and implement it completely in India than come and tell us

Sir I study Islam and talk about it and you stop posting crap and **** here Sir we know Islam and we will implement it and we don't secularism because it is just another kind of kufr and if you so belief in secularism first go and implement it completely in India than come and tell us

What is complete secularism??We implement the secularism in the way which suits our culture and society.Our legal system are separated almost completely from religious interference,that's secularism for us.

Sir I didn't said that I said you can't be complete secular without being an atheist Sir and by the way even if it is not Athiesm or other stuff still its kufr sir because in Islam either you are with law of ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW or you are with law of kufr

Yes, you can be secular without atheism, only thing you need tolerance towards other and no interfere in others' religious affairs.

What is complete secularism??We implement the secularism in the way which suits our culture and society.Our legal system are separated almost completely from religious interference,that's secularism for us.
Sir for us that is kufr and by the way you are not even completely secular in Islam all the laws have to be according Quran and Sunnah strictly according to Quran and Sunnah

Sir for us that is kufr and by the way you are not even completely secular in Islam all the laws have to be according Quran and Sunnah strictly according to Quran and Sunnah

What do you mean completely secular.There are no scale to measure the secularism.You people are so ignorant you can never understand the most aspects of secularism.

Here is a good argument about Secularism viz-a-viz Religious beliefs."Secularism is not an argument against religion,it is one independent of it. It does not question the pretensions of religion; it advances others. Secularism does not say there is no light or guidance elsewhere, but maintains that there is light and guidance in secular truth."

Their are no laws in Islam which says all state laws must be derived from Quran and Sunnah.This are all modern Islamist ideologies.

Back
Top Bottom